Did anyone see

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Did anyone see

Postby fladogfan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:44 pm

MotorWerk wrote:My dad used to be pretty good at bowling. He played in a Sunday league and has done 300 several times.

:o :shock: :o WOW :shock: :o :shock:

I have bowled and I have played golf, if the scores were switched, I would be great ;) :P :lol:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby MotorWerk » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:53 pm

I mainly play snooker to have fun, but I do training sessions to improve my game (I once spent a whole day potting the same red into the left corner trying to improve the placing of the cue ball). If I'd react negative each time I missed a pot I might as well go home to my armchair and vegetate.

I've tried bowling a couple of times, not my game. I've never been walking on the fairways, even though there is a golf course 2-3 minutes from where I live. However I do get the occasional flyer into my yard.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby fladogfan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:03 pm

I have enjoyed watching people set the balls just so, then hit the cue ball and everyball goes in a pocket. Guess there's a trick?

What is the difference between pool and snooker?
fladogfan

Postby MotorWerk » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:56 pm

There are so many differences. First, the snooker table is much bigger than a pool table (12x6 feet). In snooker there are 15 red balls and six other-coloured balls. When you go to the table you first have to pot a red (1 point). Then you have to pot one of the other-coloured ones (they have points from 2-7). If you successfully pot one of those it is replaced on the table on it's spot (the reds stay down when sunk).

You then pot red/non-red until all the reds are down - and then you have to play the non-reds according to value, starting with yellow, ending with black.
Players like to go for the black inbetween the reds since it generates the most points. If you succeed in sinking 15 red with corresponding 15 black, and then sink yellow-green-brown-blue-pink-black you have achieved a "maximum break", ie 147 points. This happens very rarely, it is in fact quite amazing that it has happened two times so far in the world championships. To illustrate: The one who makes a "maximum" during the world championship receives £147,000 (of course they have to share it now since two different players made it).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snooker
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby fladogfan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:11 pm

thanks, MW. Sounds like it could be exciting to play and watch.
Went back to your first post in this thread, I see why you were happy to have seen that 'maxium'.
Have scaned the wikie info, will read it tomorrow.
You are up late, is Norway time about 2:10 AM?
fladogfan

Postby MotorWerk » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:17 pm

Quite late, yeah. I'm having tomorrow off (Labour day is a public holiday in Norway) so I can afford to sleep late tomorrow. I do feel my eyelids are getting heavier and the bed looks very inviting so I think I might say goodnight now and journey into slumberland.
-exit body, exit mind-

MotorWerk

Postby fladogfan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:37 pm

Nite MW, I'm heading off to a book I'm reading.
fladogfan

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk