Nutro/Natural Balance dog food

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Nutro/Natural Balance dog food

Postby flowerpower » Fri May 02, 2008 8:19 pm

I fed our dogs Nutro/Natural Balance for several years, then after the wheat gluten issue, switched to Solid Gold. Last month, after reviewing labels, I thought I would try switching back to Nutro Sensitive Stomach (the light green bag)-no corn, no wheat. Two of my dogs had problems with vomiting and bloody diarrhea. I called the vet, who thought they might have been eating sticky weed, and sure enough, I found some in the back yard. About 2 weeks after removing the weed, one dog became sick, refusing to eat and having bloody diarrhea again. A trip to the vet revealed nothing unusual, and he was prescribed some anti nausea meds, antibiotics and chicken and rice. He seemed to recover, but after talking with some friends whose dogs all had similar symptoms, we discovered we all were feeding Nutro. A little research on the web indicates we are not the only ones having these symptoms, check out some recent comments at http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/nutro.html. Coincidence? Maybe....but I am switching foods back just in case…….Please forward on to any family or friends who have pets.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Re: Nutro/Natural Balance dog food

Postby tanglefoot » Tue May 06, 2008 9:34 am

we had the same problem wioth eukanuba a few years back, they changed the recipe, didnt warn anyone ( they dont have to i suppose) and loads of uk based sled dogs got sick, again once folks started emailing and chatting all were feeding the saem food.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Re: Nutro/Natural Balance dog food

Postby fladogfan » Tue May 06, 2008 3:17 pm

I wish when the companies go to change their recipes we, the buyers could be warned. Years ago, when I had a couple of dogs, was feeding Science Diet (tasted so good even the cats liked it), all of a sudden dogs weren't eating as well as before and the cats did not try to steal any. Of course there was the 50# bag I had just bought. Never bought SD again.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Return to Mushing Talk