Follow-up on " Some Disturbing News"

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Follow-up on " Some Disturbing News"

Postby Breeze » Thu May 15, 2008 12:43 pm

This is in reference to the JT Hessert case that JohnCN brought to our attention , Months and Months ago.

http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/027100.html

Even as a guest at the site, you will be able to read the comments that follow the article, mine included.

the original thread is here

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=81&p=1517&hilit=+Hessert#p1517

We've known about this for a while, but the court system and the media have their own timeline. The media can't be on top of <everything>, can they? Even from their archives???????

It breaks my heart that there is so much more to this story than the media can comprehend, an in the absence of the Whole Story, judgments are made without full disclosure.

Breeze
Breeze

Re: Follow-up on " Some Disturbing News"

Postby MotorWerk » Thu May 15, 2008 1:02 pm

I just hope the dogs will enjoy life again, but I can understand that the volunteers question the decision to release the dogs to senior.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby Breeze » Thu May 15, 2008 3:07 pm

MotorWerk...

I am hoist high on the foremast in this case. The Montana rescue folks want to keep these dogs because they can be rehomed for $$$ contributions to Montana Rescue once the court case is finished.

if Steve Hessert brings them back to Maine, Montana rescue will see nothing in $$$ for their volunteer efforts to bring these dogs back to health.

Steve will place them well within the Maine sled dog community. Happiness, food, run and care not the issue for these dogs.

It is all about the money trail, and that doesn't sit well, here.

Breeze
Breeze

Postby dilli » Thu May 15, 2008 5:13 pm

Breeze .. not sure if you checked out the 2 most recent Bozeman Daily Chronicle articles or not for their slant on the situation and some feisty public commentary.

The Bozeman Daily Chronicle articles:
April 2nd:
http://bozemandailychronicle.com/articl ... eddogs.txt

May 14th:
http://bozemandailychronicle.com/articl ... ushers.txt

I don't know the facts in the case, only the media spin. It's a tragic and sad situation. However it is legally resolved, I hope it will be in the best interests of the long term health and wellbeing of the dogs.
We've got treats
dilli

Postby Moose » Fri May 16, 2008 4:34 am

The story thus far leaves me bewildered, scratching my head in dismay. While sometimes lessons are lost on our kids and sometimes the proverbial apple does fall far from the tree, I guarantee this is not how JT was raised and not the dog care and kennel management example set by his dad--honestly, one of the kindest, most honorable people I've ever known or worked with. Based on what's been reported in the press, it looks very bad for JT, and if he's found guilty of abuse or neglect, he'll deserve whatever punishment the court might hand down. But I'm still waiting for the full story to be revealed before I condemn or excuse.

In the meantime, the dogs couldn't be in a better place than with Steve.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby northwapiti » Fri May 16, 2008 5:56 am

Breeze,

Very callous of you to suggest it is all about $$$. I happen to know some of the folks who stepped up to help the Hessert dogs and they are true, kind and caring dog folks.

And furthermore, even if it may be about $$$ - doesn't Montana rescue deserve some of that for stepping up and taking care of this situation when it arose????

Karen
northwapiti

Postby flowerpower » Fri May 16, 2008 1:21 pm

I don't know diddly about the rescue group in Montana, BUT after having volunteered with a local rescue group for the last 5+ years AND been on the Board of Directors for 3 years, I DO know something about rescue groups and the cost incurred vs. the cost of adoption. It is a question we frequently answer "Why does it cost so much to adopt one of your dogs? or better yet, "What do you do with all the extra money?" ANYONE who thinks rescue is a for-profit operation is working with the wrong rescue group! Here is a breakdown of costs from one of our sister groups, Aussie rescue:

HOW MUCH DOES A RESCUE DOG COST TO ADOPT?
Normally, the price breakdown is as follows:
Transportation to get dog from the average distance shelter: $20 in gas
Bail out of shelter fee: $25
Heartworm test at Low Cost Clinic: $20
Neuter/Spay at Low Cost Clinic: $85
Rabies shot at Low Cost Clinic: $25
Distemper shots at Low Cost Clinic: $10 each
Worming for hooks, whips and rounds from Low Cost Clinic: $10
Worming for heartworm (in season) from Low Cost Clinic: $5 each month
Food eaten while in Rescue: (average) $20
Wow! Our adoption fee should be at least $220!

OUR ADOPTION FEE AND WHAT YOU GET FOR IT
Our adoption rate is $160.00 because we are not squeamish and can do distemper shots and worming ourselves and we are lucky because we have caring vets who sympathize with Rescue groups. We also throw in a few training freebies. Our adoption fee covers:
*Dog--FREE!
*Bail out of shelter fees
*spay or neuter
*heartworm tested negative (if dog is over a year old)
*on heartworm preventative in season
*wormed at least once for rounds, hooks and whips (follow up worm check after adoption is recommended)
*rabies shot
*at least one distemper combo shot: (Puppies get at least two of their four 3-week interval distemper combo boosters- given at 6, 8, 12 and 16 weeks of age- while they are in rescue. If they are adopted before their series is done, you must oversee the puppy's shots to completion according to the shot record we will give you. )
*temperament evaluation
*transportation costs (gas, time, etc)
*some basic manners lessons such as riding in cars nicely, doing stairs, coming when called
Now, what was that about wanting a discount because it's 'just a rescue dog someone was throwing out anyway?' or 'I can get one from the paper for $50!' ???

Please note, this does not include ANY extra care-vet bills for illness, accidents, trips to the ER because 2 of the dogs suddenly decided they didn't like each other, old injuries such as broken bones, bad hips, dental care, special diet, etc etc etc.....

I can well imagine the frustration of the group that has taken in these poor babies, vetted them, cared for them, fattened them up, tried to convince them to trust again, only to be told "oh, well, we are sending them elsewhere"-no matter how nice, loving and caring that person might be. I would be willing to guess that a tremendous amount of time and yes, money, went into caring for these dogs. Most rescue groups I know of continually operate with a negative budget. If our group took in 30 dogs, expended all the time and vet care necessary to get them healthy again, and then were told "sorry, you can't expect to recoup any of the money you spent by adopting them out" it would pretty much wipe us out finicially.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Breeze » Fri May 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Karen, thank you for coming into this discussion.

You may very well upbraid me. I am "hoist high on my own sword" because I can see many issues evolving in this situation. Legal proceedings seldom invoke a happy block party.

JohnCN warned us months ago that this would get ugly. I didn't take it to heart enough to shut my pie hole.

Callous to the situation is not any way I would describe myself, nor do I fault you for calling me on my post. Perhaps I put the sled before the team ( cart before horse), and to that I plead guilty as charged.

"And furthermore, even if it may be about $$$ - doesn't Montana rescue deserve some of that for stepping up and taking care of this situation when it arose????"

Well, there is voluntarism, and on the other hand, there is <palms up.> JT's dogs are in foster care and will be until the legal stuff is over. None of the foster care people can adopt them ( or represent themselves as adoptive families) until JT's case is summarily adjucated and a judge files a ruling.

When Steve Hessert was so grievously injured, there were also many true, kind, and caring sled-dog folks in Maine who stepped up to foster and care for the dogs Steve would not be able to care for, for a couple of years. None of Steve's dogs went without during his arduous recuperation, and if he subsequently "adopted out" any of his "kids" , he knew exactly where and to whom and under what circumstances his dogs would live out their lives. Some of Steve's ( crash team ) dogs live and work less than a mile from me as the crow flies.

My disconnect ( callousness?) with the Bozeman rescue hue and cry is both emotional on my part ( it should be about the dogs, not the $$$), and in my hope for a due legal process, which includes respect for property owned. Foster homes are foster homes, not yet adoptive homes. The media glosses over this difference to incite emotion.

Unfortunately, I don't think the court system or media can ever or will ever find an easy way to bridge the gap between high emotions and legalese, nor do I expect we will solve those issues here.

Karen, I appreciate your chiding me. Whether I posted out of concern or callousness, you have input here and I value your presence.

Breeze
Breeze

Postby northwapiti » Fri May 16, 2008 7:08 pm

I think it is very callous to question the motivation of the foster families. It is not like any of the money that the rescue groups in Montana would see would be lining their pockets, it would be going to help more rescues in the state.
The fact is that regardless of motivation (and knowing some of the rescuers involved, I have a problem even questioning that), these folks stepped up when the dogs were in need and looked after them. Can JT Hessert say the same?

I've been involved in mass rescues before. I know it is mostly a thankless task that takes time and usually money away from your own dogs and your own lives. The public questioning the character of the rescuers without absolute proof just makes it less likely that folks will step up again in the future.

I have a BIG problem using the word 'respect' and JT Hessert's name in the same sentence. While I may not know Steve, I have raced again JT and personally know folks that dealt directly with him during his mushing 'career'. If pressed to make a judgement about who has the best interests of the dogs in their heart.......I wouldn't have a question about what side of the fence to be on.
Karen
northwapiti

Postby granimar » Fri May 16, 2008 8:50 pm

Breeze,
I have been reading, but haven't posted since Cabelas disbanded and you all moved over here, but I guess you could say I could no longer sit on my hands and not reply. You are way way off base, here. Perhaps your distance from and personal point of view of Montana and Montana Mushers has colored your judgement. I live here, just out of Bozeman, I was aware of the problem long before judges, lawyers, volunteers, media, and foster homes were even part of the problem.
The dogs were chained out in the open, no shelter, no food, no water, and no musher. Besides being very malnourished, having a collar imbedded in one dog's neck, some suffering from frostbite, they were chained in the open in wolf country AND grizzly country. Thank goodness the griz were bedded down for the winter or the evidence would have been chewed collars. When the Gallatin County sheriff arrived with a musher representative and a vet, JT still had not been to the area for days AND didn't arrive until after the dogs had been removed. The vet involved has served as a volunteer vet for the Iditarod. There is not a large community of mushers in the Gallatin Valley. The dogs were kept at the vet's facility to receive much needed medical care and basics like food and water. They were not homed out to Foster Families for some time.
Since this story has been developing since very early in the year, where was Steve Hessert then?
Why now after months of the dogs being cared for by others. JT's concern is that the dogs are worth $33,000 and they should belong to him. They weren't worth 5 cents to him before they were taken away. Have you checked with anyone in the Fairbanks area? They don't have glowing things to say about him. Several years ago his attempt to run the Quest showed no more thought, concern, or planning for either himself or his dogs----he was withdrawn at Dawson City.
I agree with Karen, why shouldn't the Volunteers ask for funds. Do you have a clue about how much it cost to rehabilitate that many poorly cared for dogs. Should they have left them for wolf bait. JT has not shown any accountability or responsibility as far as I can tell for himself or his dogs.
From my perspective the judge made a bad call, the prosecuting attorney did a poor job, and Steve Hessert's position made the difference. You may all think he's a wonderful person and perhaps he is, but I see a son who has been enabled to do as he wishes, because he knows he'll be bailed out.
I know about, read about Steve Hesserts accident. It's wonderful that your mushing community rallied around him just as our mushing community rallied around JT's dogs. Our community didn't do it for the $$$$$ anymore than Steve Hessert's community helped him for $$$$$$
You were really wrong in your comments and your assessment
granimar
granimar

Next

Return to Mushing Talk