Dog Training

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Dog Training

Postby flowerpower » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:00 pm

Karen has new blogs up at her site http://www.northwapiti.com/training.html. She and Utin are doing obedience training and she mentions clicker training. I have been going to classes with Elwood off and on for over a year now, and am a big fan of clicker training. He is what is considered a "reactive" dog--he "reacts" to lots of things-strangers, dogs, tables (today I caught him barking intently at the bistro table in the back yard-it's been there since I brought him home almost 2 years ago). :lol: :lol: This despite the fact that he has been clicker trained with basic obedience, agility and is apparently well behaved at his daycare outings with scads of other dogs. Anyway, my trainer suggested a new book "Control Unleashed" by Leslie McDermott. She has a different approach to dealing with reactive dogs, basically her method says that reactive dogs are mostly anxious dogs, and that traditional methods of training often serve to increase the anxiety level. Traditional methods require the dog to focus exclusively on the handler, with corrections given if they lose focus or become agitated. CU "reframes" the event for the dog-for example, they are rewarded for looking at other dogs. The sequence becomes-look at another dog(or kid, or cat or whatever), click, dog turns back to handler for treat-and lo and behold, they have learned a new trick. So instead of increasing the anxiety about something new/different in the environment that they aren't allowed to pay attention to, they start thinking "oh goody, there is something I can look at to get rewarded". Of course, there is a lot of other training/relaxation exercises going on also. My trainer has started a CU class, and after 2 sessions, I must say the results are amazing. On night 2 of class El was able to ignore another very aroused dog walking right by him-before he would have done the lunge/bark routine. One of the other dogs that was so nervous on night one that all she did was bark and pant was able to lay down calmly for most of night two. It has been very interesting so far, I would recommend the book to anyone who has an overanxious, reactive type dog. :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Re: Dog Training

Postby Di* » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:39 pm

Sounds very interesting Flower I will have to read that book. I'm always looking to understand my dogs a bit better and am intrigued by all those successful trainers out there. :)
Di*

Postby flowerpower » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:57 pm

Hey my trainer was on local TV this morning. Not with me :lol: 8-) but with the kids n dogs summer camp she is doing.
For anyone who is really bored, trying to stay out of the heat-rain-wind-cold-(insert your word here :) ) here is a link to the video clip:
http://www.myfoxaustin.com/myfox/pages/InsideFox/GoodDay?pageId=5.2
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby tanglefoot » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:54 pm

have a listen to the sled dog podcast with buddy streeper, the dr tim interview at the end is worth listening too for some ideas on behaviuor and i think what you were talking about?

http://www.vbs20.com/sleddogpodcast/
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby flowerpower » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:40 pm

Thanks, Tangles, good listen. He mentions the book "Don't Shoot the Dog" which is also good. Sounds very much like Elwood and the training we are working on. I rescued him when he was pretty young and sick, and Natalie, our trainer, thinks he might have missed some socialization skills. He's not aggressive, but he can be scary when he barks-since he's a hound it's more like a bay, and very loud-and lunges toward you. He's learning, though! Some day I will turn him into a big old lazy hound! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
flowerpower

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:31 pm

good for you, i love thos ebig ole houndy woooooooofs! when we are out hunting the hounds start to speak,,sends shivers down the spine, just like when the huskies sing,

was parking the truck in town today running errands and going to walk the dogs somewhere different and left them in the truck to get a parking ticket, they started howling, full on pack howl inside the truck.. hee hee, youshould have seen the shoppers faces..priceless! they all stopped and stared but not sure where it was coming from, i just stood watched not sayigna thing and laughed at them. then snook back to the truck to say well done guys to all the dogs and have a laugh with them hee hee
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Return to Mushing Talk