CHAT/TRIVIA April 2nd-1PMAT,2PT,3MT,4CT,5ET,10UK,11NO

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: 7/26/08 CONTEST RESULTS!!! (on page 5 of thread)

Postby flowerpower » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:50 pm

Mmmm...sundaes.....102 here today with a heat index of 107....brutal. The hounds are too hot to howl! 8-) Nothing to do but sit in the kiddie pool with a long cool drink and try to stay cool. 8-)
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Heidi » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:20 pm

Dilli - Thanks for your kind comments. But don't feel bad about your typing (besides you're on dial-up, right?); I think I typed even slower, but you guys were all great and patient with me. Next time I'm sure you, Motor and "Brain" will all do better! :lol: :lol:
Heidi

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:16 am

Heidi:
Might as well refer to me as "Brain Fart" for all the answers I had huh? :D
Sending the Red Lantern to Norway for Motor to show off to his fellow Countrymen. Nie Skam Motor! Nei Skam! :D

MGF Brian
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Heidi » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:36 pm

MelanieGouldFanBrian wrote:Might as well refer to me as "Brain Fart" for all the answers I had huh?

Hey no knockin' yourself allowed. ;) :)

For those who are wondering why a few of us keep referring to Brian as "Brain" it's because I typed it that way several times in the chat. I was typing in a hurry and when I do that I always switch letters around. So Brian became Brain. :oops: :lol:
Heidi

Re: CHAT & CONTEST Sat. 8/30/08 @ 12 noon Alaska Time

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:39 pm

A week and more I took "off", hoping when I came back I'd see the answer to what I'd asked. I was wrong.

I didn't know that nobody else knew it, Dilli. I figured someone did. I was unwise to figure it, but I honestly didn't *know* I was unwise to figure it. I foolishly assumed someone knew. I forgot what happens when people assume things. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: (add about ten more embarrassed faces.)

And Dilli, it's not for the reason that you think I'm distressed, that I'm distressed. (FYI I never am calm.) I'm distressed *not* because I thought anyone was "dissing" MB.

Instead, I was distressed b/c he'd been upsettingly rude to a woman who wasn't even competing. Had he gotten snappish toward Ken Anderson himself, or barked at another racer, OK. But Gwen Holdmann wasn't even running. And she's a woman. It's small "comfort" to read in that link you provided that she didn't "think it was anything personnal [sic]", but small is the operative word.

I'm a woman. While at the restart this year, I'd innocently struck up a conversation with another woman there. I casually mentioned that MB was my favorite and got this for a response: "Why not DeeDee or Aily or Sylvia Willis? Us ladies should stick together, and you're a *traitor*, cheering for one of the men!" (She said "men" like most people say "cockroaches".) I thought at the time that she was just grouchy and tried to forget it. But now, well, if what was said (I do still want to know) was truly awful, then even I will have nothing good to say.

Because maybe that grouchy woman who called me a traitor for having a man as my favorite (thank goodness she didn't ask about 2nd or third--both also men!) was right, and here is proof.

I'd rather know something, even if it makes me sad, then be happily ignorant. But I must admit, I didn't know that nobody else knew yet what had been said. That was my mistake.

If my village calls, tell them I'll be home in time for dinner.
Holly Golightly

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:46 pm

The prize for August 30th Chat Room Quiz will be a 2003 Iditarod 31 race cover carried on-board her sled and signed by the Rookie of the Year for that race Jessica Hendricks!
May the Best Iditabud Win! MGF Brian

Jessica Hendricks came in 19th for her ROY honors in 2003!
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby MotorWerk » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:27 am

That's a great prize! Wow!
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:25 am

The questions will fit the prize! In other words-gonna make everybody work for it. :twisted:
MGF Brian
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Heidi » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:08 pm

Thanks for donating this awesome prize, Brian! :)

MGFB will also be coming up with the questions for and administering the next contest. That means I get to compete for the Red Lantern! :lol:

:arrow: :arrow: Half of the questions will be from Karen Ramstead's Ask The Musher thread and half will be general Iditarod questions.

Karen's thread: http://mushing.bssd.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=404
Heidi

Postby emwcee » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:15 am

Thanks, MGFBrian for hosting and for donating the great prize. I will put this on my calendar. This will make up for the fact that I'll be missing the only American Idol concert anywhere near me that weekend. (Just couldn't justify the expense.) I'd rather be with my Idita-buddies anyway!
emwcee

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk