CHAT/TRIVIA April 2nd-1PMAT,2PT,3MT,4CT,5ET,10UK,11NO

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: JOIN US IN CHAT Sat. 6/28 @ 1:00AT

Postby BB Backer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:41 am

Sure enjoyed catching up with Iditabuddies! :D
We were talking about bears. Check out this article from the ADN about the teen bicycle racer attacked by a bear. http://www.adn.com/front/story/450061.html Sounds like the time and place for the race were not thought out too well.

Looking forward to more chats.

Go Team Buser!!! :lol:
When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
BB Backer

Postby Moose » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:35 am

I read that, too, this morning, BB. Very sad. I hope her condition improves quickly. I also wonder about the wisdom of plotting the race route along a salmon river where bears might be and moreover where mom bears would likely be accompanied by their young. But hindsight is always 20/20 and long-distance hindsight even more so. (Sigh.) Best wishes to the girl and her family.

Since we were and continue to be talking about bears, here's a fascinating video of a bear, her two cubs, and a mischievous wolf. It's sad and unfortunate when people and wildlife interact to the detriment of either; it's footage like this that intrigues and has us looking (and moving) wisely or not into the wilds.

http://nrmsc.usgs.gov/research//video/K ... sswolfbear
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby BB Backer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:25 am

Moose, that was very cool footage. The mother did not seem to take the threat of the wolf too seriously. She let the little cubs do some of their own posturing. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I too hope the teen biker makes a full recovery. It sounds like it was very lucky she had a helmet on. I've been chased by dogs while biking, but I can't imagine having a grizzly bear hot on your heels. I bet the young biker will have many emotional scars to go with her physical scars. But you can't fault momma bear...it sounds like she was just startled and protecting her babies from a perceived threat.

Go team Buser!!!
When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
BB Backer

Postby Heidi » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:16 am

Eek! That's terrible what happened. I agree it wasn't very wise to hold a bike race through the night. I doubt it would've happened had she not been alone but in a group, but it's kind of hard to race in a group.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that video, Moose. Very, very cool!!! :D
Heidi

Postby dilli » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:43 pm

Sorry I missed the chat. Been so busy. Hope to make the next one!

*incoming brownies*
We've got treats
dilli

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:35 pm

hey dilli your back on line mithy said you had prbs with lightening strikes!

xx

matt and the furries
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Re: JOIN US IN CHAT Sat. 7/26/08 @ 12AT,1PT,2MT,3CT,4ET,9UK,10NO

Postby Heidi » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:27 am

Hope to see everyone on the 26th of July. As it stands now, I'll be there. :)
Heidi

Postby Moose » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:13 pm

Looking forward to it!

Hi Dilli! Good to see you! Hope all is well there now. Lightning. Pretty powerful. Pretty scary. The dogs and I still get a bit edgy when we hear thunder, even way off in the distance, and it's been four years (I think) since our house took a hit. DH won't admit it, but I think he gets a bit edgy, too.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Heidi » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:36 pm

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: Just in case anyone is a bit confused by this thread (the earliest posts discuss the June chat while the thread title relates to the current monthly chat) a few of us mods thought it best to keep all the posts relating to the monthly chats within one thread rather than have a bunch of separate threads going. Every month a mod will change the title of the thread to reflect the date of the next monthly chat. As of now, these are being held the last Saturday of the month at 12 noon Alaska Time.]

Non-mod note: :D I hope to see a bunch of you Saturday!
Heidi

Re: CHAT & CONTEST Sat. 7/26/08 @ 12AT,1PT,2MT,3CT,4ET,9UK,10NO

Postby Heidi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:42 pm

Okay, we've decided to add a little extra excitement to this Saturday's (7/26/08) chat! :D We will be holding a trivia contest about an hour or so into the chat. I will ask 15 questions and the first person to get the correct answer for each question gets a point; the person with the most points at the end wins. Even if there's a winner before we get to all the questions, I'll probably ask all the questions so we can have 2nd, 3rd, etc place finishers - just for the fun of it. :D

ALL the answers can be found in Ken Anderson's Ask the Musher thread here: http://mushing.bssd.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=519.

Of course, we can't hold a contest without a prize, can we? So... the winner will get a copy of Ken Anderson's journal! :D The winner can choose either his 2007 or 2008 journal. If you already own his journals and don't want an extra copy, you can designate your prize be sent to another Iditabuddy of your choosing.

I'm sorry this is somewhat last minute, but you still have 2 1/2 days to study up and it's only about 3 1/2 pages.

See ya Saturday! :D
Heidi

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk