CHAT/TRIVIA April 2nd-1PMAT,2PT,3MT,4CT,5ET,10UK,11NO

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: CHAT/TRIVIA SEP 27- 12AT,1PT,2MT,3CT,4ET,9UK,10NO,10amNZ

Postby Moose » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:20 pm

Jessie Royer and Jerry Vanek, DVM, will give presentations both days, October 3 & 4.

Here's a link to the schedule as posted on the Northern New England Sled Dog Trade Fair and Seminars Facebook page. It's a public page. I believe anyone can view it. Oddly, there is no schedule up on their website. Just bios for Jessie and Jerry.

https://www.facebook.com/Northern-New-E ... /timeline/

I'll start a separate thread for this, just in case anyone might be interested.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby fladogfan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:11 pm

Thanks MS Moose.

For those in chat who knew I was heading to the coast to hopefully see the eclipse of the moon tonight, well, we did drive over there.
Saw some moonshine coming from behind clouds as we approached the beach. Then as the moon rose in the sky we could see it through a thin layer of cloud. Was real pretty and misty looking. Then it disappeared into the cloud bank. Rats! We sat at a beachside bar eating shrimp and DH drinking beer waiting for the clouds to move on. No luck. So we are now back home and still hoping when the eclipse happens we might be able to see it.

If any of you got a chance to view it, will you please share your experience? Thanks!

Edit to add: Checked the sky a couple times and total cloud layer :( still cloudy at midnight so went to sleep. Woke in the 2am hour and saw bright moonlight streaming in through the windows. So, that was my experience with this eclipse. What was yours?
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:12 am

The viewing was simply spectacular here. I went down to the town beach for an unobstructed view. Initially there were only five of us there, but as the moon began to drift into the shadow, 10 to 15 people arrived in a group and settled themselves on blankets and pads laid out on the beach and among the rocks that line the beach. They virtually disappeared into the darkness and never said a word. I'm figuring they were a religious/spiritual group meditating on the moon. Cool. I guess that's what all of us were doing.

Anyway, my photos aren't great, but they're on my FB page. If I could remember how to post them here I would. I can't remember the name of nor my long-on info for the photo service I've used in the past. I wish they could be posted here directly from my computer. <Sigh> :roll:
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby mira » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:15 am

Moose, they can!

Look for the "upload attachment" part (on my screen underneath the box I'm writing in), click browse, add the file..

Anyhow.. the moon was great, though it was 4am so I didn't see that long, I ahd put my camera on interval timer but it somehow got unfocused and the battery emptied. Oh well..

I think this was my best image, when it was in total shadow the images are totally unfocused.
DSC_0554.JPG

I missed chat, once again. Hopefully next time! We were in the mountains during the weekend, really enjoying wonderfull autumn weather.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mira

Postby fladogfan » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:37 am

Moose, so happy you got to see the eclipse. and mira, that photo is neat. I love the way we can see the partial eclipse and the moonlight shining on the clouds.

I forgot to mention, when I looked for the moon just after midnight, it was right overhead and showing through a light cloud layer at that time. Pretty.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:57 am

DSC01524.JPG

This is my final photo. The camera battery died and when I went to replace it, I realized the camera and lens were covered in the cold dampness that had drifted in from the lake. This was shot through the moisture on the lens, which I couldn't eliminate despite aggressive wiping. :roll: Since I'd been there for two hours at this point and I, too, was cold and wet I packed up and headed home. It was all really something to see. My first full lunar eclipse, super moon or otherwise.

Edit to add a PS to Mira: Thanks for the photo-loading tip, Mira. I think in the past I'd had to send photos elsewhere, one of the photo services the name of which escapes me, and load them here from there. This was much easier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Re: CHAT/TRIVIA OCT 25- 12AT,1PT,2MT,3CT,4ET,9UK,10NO,10amNZ

Postby fladogfan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:12 pm

Ooops, almost totally forgot this is the last Sunday in October!! Heading to the chat room, hope I find Iditabuds there.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:12 am

Rats!!! I never thought about it being a Chat Sunday! And because of the weather, I spent the day here at home, inside, and mostly ON THE COMPUTER! Sorry to have missed it. :( (Don't ever hesitate to call me, Fdf.)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby fladogfan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:39 am

OK sorry I didn't. mira and I had a nice chat and towards end, MGFB appeared too.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:48 am

We'll all get back into the chat routine once the season starts. Looking forward to it!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk