Questions About Using The Forum

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Questions About Using The Forum

Postby Moose » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:25 pm

This old crone, too, Dilli! :D Never underestimate the crones. ;)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Breeze » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:40 pm

LOLOL this particular crone is working a veritably ancient HP box on a dial up. I tend to "go by" the video and the "you-tube" and even the audio/interviews because I don't have the d/l capacity to view or listen on the fly. On a GOOD day it could take me 20 minutes or more to d/l 3-5 minutes of streaming content.

dilli, I know, you know, the frustrations. Can't let it get in the way of what enjoyment is there, just makes it a little more precious for the work.

For what it is worth to the BSSD and the SBT, there ARE those of us in the lower 48 who are constrained by equipment and access issues, and are unable to enjoy the exceptional coverage provided. When and if you find yourselves unable to meet broadcast goals, LOL, remember that the written word can be worth a lot !

Breeze
Breeze

Postby Johncn » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks for the reminder....and yes, I agree. That is what we hope to accomplish with the forums here.

This morning was just a cascading series of multiple technical issues that needed solved so we can smooth things out. And, it's kind of "bleeding edge" stuff the SBT was setting up. Occupied most of their attention.

During the race we will focus on multimedia AND print....text.....live updates and so on. We appreciate the reminders, though.

Regards,

Johncn
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby braider » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:47 pm

Breeze wrote: ...I don't have the d/l capacity to view or listen on the fly. On a GOOD day it could take me 20 minutes or more to d/l 3-5 minutes of streaming content...

I've only watched a couple of the bssd videos. ...Dave
braider

Location: Bemidji, Minnesota - the first city on the Mississippi River

Postby dilli » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:06 pm

I watched all the videos in the BSSD gallery with the quicktime player ( checked out all the photos too) over the summer when there was no traffic .. the BSSD SBT did a fabulous job .. I still crack up laughing about the "Tundra Daisy" moniker for the portable Iditasled Satellite Dish
We've got treats
dilli

Postby Breeze » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:48 pm

Johncn wrote:Thanks for the reminder....and yes, I agree. That is what we hope to accomplish with the forums here.

This morning was just a cascading series of multiple technical issues that needed solved so we can smooth things out. And, it's kind of "bleeding edge" stuff the SBT was setting up. Occupied most of their attention.

During the race we will focus on multimedia AND print....text.....live updates and so on. We appreciate the reminders, though.

Regards,

Johncn

I certainly didn't want to be a 'downer', your team is capable and gifted and doing an amazing job !!!

I love every minute of being here, giving huge thanks to you and the SBT.

You all are envisioning and modeling the best of first person reporting/ on the spot/ from ground zero. It is a new model, your SBT kids will be well prepared for the future, as they are creating their entry into the broadcasting world.

There is going to be a huge Come -to-God between Marketing and IT. Marketing is going to use all available immediate streaming video to catch interest. IT is going to be tasked to the max to capture and convert to data base.

Breeze

Breeze
Breeze

Postby Johncn » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:25 pm

Hey,

I was serious...we NEED the reminders, and it the kids need to know that we have a diverse audience in terms of both geography AND connection type. :)

Adrianna's students are going to try some more live streams and uploaded text and still reports in the morning Alaska time.

Regards,

Johncn
Johncn

Postby mithious » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:27 pm

I have another question :shock: :D

My PM outbox hasn't sent the last 2 PMed replies.....what do I do? Thanks in advance :D :D :D Keep up the Great work...You guys ROCK...am LOVING being on this forum and you all have done some amazing stuff here......GO TEAM BSSD SBT GO :D :D :D :D
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby Johncn » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:29 pm

I think they stay there until the other person logs in?

Not sure, but I suppose we should figure that out ;-)

Regards,

Johncn
Johncn

Postby mithious » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:42 pm

Thanks John :D :D :D I think you're right because one just went through.....and HUGE thanks for such a quick response :D :D :D You all ROCK!!!!!!
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk