Forum Guidelines

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Guidelines, you like these?

yes
95%
no
No votes
undecided
5%

Total votes : 20

Forum Guidelines

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Below you will find a set of guidelines we have been working on for the forums...

Please Vote...I have set it up that you can "change" your vote if the conversation in this thread sways you to one side or another...and also feel free to post your opinions.

This board will be getting pounded in a few weeks...lets remember...a lot of us know each other and our posting style/habits/vernacular others don't ;)

daniel...ThisSpaceForRent

Edit: Here is the wiki page TSFR put these rules on. Anyone can edit wiki pages if you create an account on that wiki. Please make suggested changes on the wiki, and discuss here in this thread as needed. Thanks for starting the discussion, TSFR. - Johncn

Forum Rules Wiki Page
http://wiki.bssd.org/index.php/Race_forum_rules

* No Jerks, we are all human beings with differing opinions. Do NOT make personal attacks, chide, egg-on or seriously troll.

* We are a civilized community on the internet. The internet is a BIG place. Once you post something here it IS here forever, even if you edit or delete.

* Respect that we all have opinions, withouts them this big blue spinning ball we call earth would be a boring place. If at anytime you begin to rage, loose sleep, obsess or wig out over the happenings on this Forum (or for that matter anything on the Internet)....step back...turn off your computer...hug your dog, child, parent or friend and Enlighten Up.

* If you're asked to drop a topic by one of the moderators or administrators, please do so. They won't ask without a reason, but please respect that we may not always want to make the reason public. This board currently has Private Message (PM) abilities, use them w/ the Mods and Administrators if you have questions about Board/Forum policy.

* These forums are sponsored and supported by the Bering Straight School District. They are available to children as well as adults. Many schools through-out the country (USA) and possibly the world used the BSSD resources and teaching aide, lets be a good example, not a bad one. Keep the language clean, or at least acceptable for children.

* We are here to learn, teach,discuss and enjoy dog sled racing, not to figure out how to get around the naughty word filter...In other words we would prefer discussion here to be in polite English (with an exception to our Norse friends and other for whom English is not their primary language).

* A note on Leetspeak, also written 31337, 1337, and l33t; while not forbidden, if you use it expect one or the "old codgers" to ask you what it means and some old codgers know it, so keep it clean too.

* Use the Moderators and Administrators. They are here to help make this work. You can contact an Administrator or Moderator using the PM function, the Email Function or the "Report this post it is a red ! next to the "quote" button.

* Ask questions...Teach...Share your experience...Share your culture...Root for your FAVORITE Musher/Team/Kennel/Country...Make friends...and by all means, HAVE FUN...
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Re: Forum Guidelines

Postby bourgeois_rage » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:28 am

May I recommend adding a provision for posters who "walk the line"? After modding a few other message boards, I have found that the 'best' trolls always seem to be able to get people riled up without actually breaking any rules. A certain fudge factor should be in place so that admins and moderators are able to make judgments calls without appearing to apply the rules inconsistently.

Just my thoughts.

EDIT:
If you are interested, here's an AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) of a website I mod on. It has been a fairly solid policy. I'm not saying everything there needs to be integrated into this policy, but some things might make sense.
My status
bourgeois_rage

Skype ID: bourgect

Postby private stock » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:23 am

Great point, bourgeois_rage. I've seen it on dog boards & it ain't pretty. :( Cliques jumping on people they don't agree with is bad, too. :x Either way, people leave the laughing trolls behind.

Yes on the Guidelines here... They are fair and good, even though I don't speak Leetspeak. That's OK, I'm still working on English. :lol:

I think everyone will remember where we are and under whose good graces. ;) Thank you. BSSD! :D :D
private stock

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:08 pm

bourgeois_rage wrote:May I recommend adding a provision for posters who :D "walk the line"? After modding a few other message boards, I have found that the 'best' trolls always seem to be able to get people riled up without actually breaking any rules. A certain fudge factor should be in place so that admins and moderators are able to make judgments calls without appearing to apply the rules inconsistently.

Just my thoughts.

EDIT:
If you are interested, here's an AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) of a website I mod on. It has been a fairly solid policy. I'm not saying everything there needs to be integrated into this policy, but some things might make sense.

bourgeois_rage
Firstly, I love your name. :D

I think the "walk the line" poster is covered in the specifically vague "No Jerks" part of the guidelines...But thats just the way I see it. Like you I am pretty familiar with "boards"... I have seen threads turn into trainwrecks in the blink of and eye.

John and Damon are here a LOT, they wield the REAL power ;) I have complete confidence that they are objective enough to spot and correct if there is a SERIOUS enough offense. I am also pretty familiar w/ the Mods that serve this Board/Forum...we are passionate about Sled Dog racing...we are pretty level headed and we come from a pretty diverse sampling of the old boards/Forum (Cabela's RIP :| )...

[ot] Thanks for the AUP that you posted a link too....I think maybe we will leave the BOTD wording out.... :D but the wording did crack me up.[/OT]

The comments help ...thanks,

daniel
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:32 pm

I am unstickying (??) this thread....as soon as we get aproval of the admins and mods we will post an announcement with the guidelines... please feel free to still post your input to this thread until then..

BSSD ROCKS....

daniel
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby mithious » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi TSFR :D :D :D

I think that we need to allow for POLITE disagreement. If the whole world thought the same way, how boring it would be :shock: BUT, I do think we need some way to remind folks, if the need arises, that this is a PRO race forum and although we don't have to agree, walking the line, so to speak, to antagonize and disrupt our fun while following the races, is not appropriate....maybe through a PM by the mods/admins, with some kind of straight forward "rule"? about it. I know, I hate rules too, but in some cases we need them, as not all people are polite!!!!!

Like what some folks would call a clique, I call a family :D ;) And I for one am willing to agree to disagree :D :D :D I just don't want to be followed around the board having everything I post critiqued and pulled apart or my words taken out of context and feeling like I have to defend myself every time I post my opinion. :roll:

Just my two cents ;) :D :D :D

edited to add....what is leetspeak?
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Mith...we are taking the leetspeek out...but it is a way that kids changes words and use symbols and such... here is an article on it.
The StraightDope on LeetSpeek

As for polite disagreement...it is ALWAYS acceptable. The key word being polite; I might substitute the word respectful... ;) Please trust that because of the "Super Powers" us Mods and Admins have we will try our best to keep this board on an even keel. We use the "No Jerks" policy which in itself may be a bit vague but it affords a certain amount of latitude. It is possible to disagree with someone, and state it as such, without being a jerk.

Any user that feels a post crosses the line can use the ! in the triangle to the left of the "quote" button. I assure you the post will be looked at in a timely mannor and if action is needed it will be taken. I encourage you to use the ! if needed.

Please feel free to ask any other question you may have...that goes for any user.

daniel
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby Heidi » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:02 pm

ThisSpaceForRent wrote:It is possible to disagree with someone, and state it as such, without being a jerk.

Well said, tsfr. :)

I think Mith makes a good point though: I think we need to add a little something stating this is a PRO-race forum. I mean it should be obvious, but there's always those...! ;) :)
Heidi

Postby Heidi » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:42 pm

Mith, I added this to the guidelines wiki:

This is a PRO-sled dog racing forum. If you are not in agreement with this, you are not invited to participate.

Like it?
Heidi

Postby mithious » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:38 pm

Thanks TSFR for the link to the LeetSpeek...although I am over 40 and didn't understand a thing except that it is "kidspeak"...I was shaking my head ALL the way through it :shock: :roll: ....ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heidi, I LOVE it!!!!! :D :D :D

Do you think we should be a bit more specific though? Just to give you mods and admins more control IF someone doesn't abide by the rule and still signs up and starts problems?

Last year is still fresh in my mind..... :roll: :twisted:

How about something like.....If you are not in agreement with this and disrupt the membership's enjoyment of the races, even though you are "walking the line", you will be removed from participating in the active forum at the discretion of the mods and admins.

Or something to that effect? I wasn't sure how to word it....? I've found that even adults sometimes need things spelled out or they just plain disregard the rules. What do you think?
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

Next

Return to Mushing Talk