Welcome Ems!

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Welcome Ems!

Postby tanglefoot » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:23 am

by the miricles of marmite in mean the internet, im posting from the spare room (race control) and ems is posting from the kitchen...more marmite please can you pop some toast under the grill please and flick the kettle on hahhahaha.
:lol:
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby tanglefoot » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:27 am

had whale meat in norway when sea kayaking up lysefjordan ( eskil til2 - do you guys know it?) we stayed in a cabin half way up the mountain in fluerlee (?) half way down the fjord. it was very very tasty, we bought it fromt he supermarket before we set off. not very PC (politicaly correct) i know, but the native alaskans lived on it on the coast and it is very good to eat.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby tilstede » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:44 am

Know it only by name. Not my home district :-)
tilstede

Postby MotorWerk » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:48 am

Lysefjorden is a beautiful place. I've even made the climb up to the pulpit a few times.

I've eaten whale. In the 70s it was standard fare on most Norwegian dinner tables. Ethics aside it taste quite good, but it's been 15 years or so since I last ate it. In my part of Norway it's nowadays hard to find in the stores.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby fladogfan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:37 pm

tangles-ems, i've remembered what the marmite odor reminds me of. It's a product called Laxatone and is used to keep cats from forming hair balls in their bellies. Probably has a base of yeast, hence the simular smell, most cats like it ,of course mine don't. Surprised Danielle even tasted the marmite. She's OK,BTW, sitting just behind my chair looking out window. My companion cat :lol: always near me, she's my sweetie :D

Rethinking using marmite on fire ants, they are already taking over Fl. Their bites hurt and last for days. :evil: don't need to give them extra energy :!: :!:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:22 pm

Yes, I know where Lysefjorden is. Not far away from where I live, actually.
Yes, whale tastes fine, been a couple of years since I last had it.

The most weird thing I've eaten is raw turtle eggs. They were served as side orders (bocas) when bying beers on a beach on the pacific coast of Costa Rica. Served in a small glass with chili saus. I just had one...

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby Di* » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:41 pm

Yummmyyy! :shock:
Di*

Postby Moose » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:00 pm

FDF, some years ago DH and I drove from Maine to the Florida Keys in a ragtop jeep with sea kayaks on the roof. (Oh, the noise! We lost our hearing for days!!) We pitched our tent in a beautiful spot and planned to stay there a couple of days for day-trips to scout out the off islands. Upon awakening the first morning, I found ants in my clothes bag. Ugh! I emptied my bag and the tent, shook or swept out the ants, and moved everything back in. The second morning again there were ants in my clothes bag. I went through the same drill, and then took a close inspection trying to figure out where they had come from. Those little buggers ate several tiny holes through the floor of the tent and up through the bottom of my clothes bag!

It was a really nice tent and nearly every piece (poles, zippers, cords, seams) were guaranteed for repair or replacement...but, sadly, not for ant damage! :lol:

It's scary to think what havoc ants on marmite might be capable of. :lol:
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby fladogfan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:54 pm

Moose,

You're lucky you didn't get bitten :o , must not have been fire ants, if they were fire ants they can kill if enough bite. In fact a lady I know almost died from one bite. She was lucky her family got her to the hospital in time. Like people alergic to wasp or bee stings :!:

We have several kinds of ants here, some are little bitty then there are the ones that are huge. :shock:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mrwolfesmum » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:54 am

I went to a hen weekend in Norway and we ate whale and seal meat as well as reindeer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You Norwegians eat some weird stuff! My friend Hege told us what we had eaten after we ate it!!!!
Fire ants sound nasty. When I did the John Muir Trail in California I remember there were loads of ants. Really big ones that had little itty bitty ones following them around...They were a nightmare when we put our sacks on in the morning as they would all come out of the nooks and crannies in the bags and run across your back and arms :evil: :evil: and God forbid you should lose one in case you couldn't find it again!!! What with the ants and the bears I'm surprised we survived!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: xx
mrwolfesmum

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk