Old Woman Scouting Trip

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Old Woman Scouting Trip

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:57 pm

John...and John....LOL...Two John's no waiting....

Thanks for the pics and the maps....John (second one) Your right....the PDF FULL map is wonderful....I am a map head and cannot get enough ...

daniel
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby jnasset » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:58 pm

Hi Again,
Here is a little bit more info about the trail, etc. Old Woman Cabin is approximately 36 trail miles from Unalakleet. The trail follows the Unalakleet River on and off for about 8 miles then hits the open tundra. There are some forested parts of the trail, especially as you approach the cabin. The snow conditions were pretty good. The trail is fairly bumpy, as my lower back is telling me today. Without hauling the sled, it took us about 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to the cabin. It is a very beautiful and quiet area. Being able to upload video from this location would be really cool. We are hoping to make a run with the MUSH sled tomorrow and test the signal.

On another related note, we just received our ice shelter today that will shield the electronics from the elements. It measures 6 ft wide by 12 ft long with a ceiling over 6 feet tall. John C and myself set it up in about 2 minutes. It doesn't have a floor (as it's designed for ice fishing) but does have two doors, windows and vents. We are going to put a small propane heater, LED lanterns and some fold up stools and possible a table inside. Kind of debating the mini-fridge and disco ball. :D

I'll post again with pictures when we make it back from the cabin this week.
jnasset

Skype ID: john_nasset

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:10 pm

leave the fridge, but definatly bring the disco ball...stump bumpers and swingly sled slingers on the bar and you have a discocheckpoint ready to go! :D
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk