Old Woman Scouting Trip

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Old Woman Scouting Trip

Postby jnasset » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:34 pm

I took a ride out to Old Woman cabin on Sunday to get a look at the southern exposure. The BSSD SBT was hoping to do a video at the cabin of the Iditarod mushers coming through. The first picture shows the SSW exposure. The other shots are of the inside and outside of the cabin. The only way to find out if uplink is possible is to haul the gear up and try it out!! I think we will make a run with the gear on Wednesday.

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jnasset on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jnasset

Skype ID: john_nasset

Re: Old Woman Scouting Trip

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:22 pm

Excellent, Jay! Will this be a live feed 24/7 or just for a while? Sound?

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby Moose » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:25 pm

Wow. That's Old Woman's Cabin? It's lovely. I expected an older, less sturdy structure. :)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:27 pm

Moose wrote:Wow. That's Old Woman's Cabin? It's lovely. I expected an older, less sturdy structure. :)

Exactly what I thought - but I guess it has been fixed several times during the years...

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby MarinOhio » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:30 pm

This site is getting impressive! Videos. Great pictures. I'm starting to think Cabela's did us a favor.
MarinOhio

Postby fladogfan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:08 pm

MarinOhio wrote:This site is getting impressive! Videos. Great pictures. I'm starting to think Cabela's did us a favor.

Me too Marion. As much as I loved Cabela's and thought they had spoiled us rotten, their shutdown has brought us to this site. John and all the people connected with putting this site online are amazing. All these new bells and whistles! Thank you very much!
fdf
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby eluciq_kennels » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:28 pm

That is the new old woman cabin...there is another old woman cabin not far from the new site towards Kaltag...and that cabin is where people leave things for the old woman. Apparently many folks have seen the "Old Woman" when passing through and the thought is if you leave something in the ramshackled cabin, then the old woman will leave you alone. WE mushed to Old Woman (new cabin) and stayed 3 nights with our boys...then did a day trip to Tripod cabin which passes the "old" Old Woman Cabin...our boys' packed a zip-loc filled with various items they wanted to share: a stick of gum, fruit snack, granola bar and a picture they drew(they were only 3 years old at the time). The following year we mushed again up that direction and the items were gone...so to this day we feel good about giving something to the "Old Woman"... ;)

Just had to share...btw...if you ever get an opportunity to stay in the "new" Old Woman Cabin, then go for it...it is absolutely beautiful and oh so quiet! But beware of the outhouse...YIKES :shock:

Tiffany
eluciq_kennels

Postby Johncn » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:54 pm

Hey,

John Nasset....nice pictures from your trip yesterday! Weather was awesome. How long did it take? Any info on the trail conditions? Maybe you could take Emwcee's poem up when you go back on Wendnesday and snap a photo? That would great.

This cabin is a BLM structure on the historic "portage" between the Bering Sea and the Yukon. There used to be an OLD Old Woman Cabin, and the BLM built this one nearby. The SBT kids are planning to do some segments on the stories about the Old Woman, and the history of the area.

Here is segment of the Iditarod National Historical Trail's land use map of showing the Portage area between Kaltag on the Yukon, and Unalakleet on the Bering Sea coast:

They have a great general map that shows the various other trails and their intersections, and a large, beautifully detailed map as a full size PDF that is suitable for framing!

Here is a Google Earth view showing the new BLM Old Woman Cabin, and the original structure's location:

And a pretty neat website that layers Don Bowers old trail descriptions of each segment with Google Earth mapping data:

WikiMapia
http://wikimapia.org/6555652/Old_Old_Woman_Cabin_Iditarod_Trail

Hope this helps folks get a better idea of this segment of the trail.

Regards,

Johncn
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:16 pm

wow! thought the cabin would be bigger somehow
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby emwcee » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:37 pm

Thanks for posting. It really helps us picture the place.
emwcee

Next

Return to Mushing Talk