been raining in Anchorage...

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

been raining in Anchorage...

Postby cat » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:00 pm

We skate skiers are very depressed today after a day of rain & high winds yesterday. The trails are a mess. It's been up to 40 degrees, very icy, messy roads, mushy snow. Well, Iditarod visitors, welcome to Alaska! Bring break-up boots.

But I'm going to do a snow dance all next week for fresh snow to clean things up.

cat
cat
(formerly ns on cabela's)
cat

Re: been raining in Anchorage...

Postby boo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Not to mention we've got 90-some musher's food drops sitting out there on the trail melting :cry: DANG, we need a cold snap and the sooner the better....or we'll have sick dogs and sick mushers during the race, which really takes the fun out of it.
boo
boo

Postby cat » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:22 pm

I never thought of thawing food drops, Boo. That sounds dangerous! Bummer.

They're trying to decide whether to cancel the Fur Rondy sled dog race since the trails are so icy.

I went out to try to skate ski today on the Iditarod ceremonial trail & it was sheer ice in spots.
cat
(formerly ns on cabela's)
cat

Postby Johncn » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:25 pm

Hello,

I will put this here so that it updates live the forecast for Anchorage automatically:

Regards,

Johncn
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius

John Cn
Professional Amateur
Email: john@teachers4Schools.com
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Return to Mushing Talk