Will Rick Swenson win again in the 2000's?

If you are dedicated fan of a particular musher, feel post or gather detailed information as much as you would like here. You can post updates, rumors and random gossip about your favorite musher or dog team, post pictures, or just connect with fellow supporters. A special welcome to all mushers who would like post or just lurk.

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Will Rick Swenson win again in the 2000's?

Postby Frozen Chosen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:46 am

Good guess, Dash. (I can't get to the edit page for my posts on this 'puter, but the above Mackey stated is the elder Mackey, you know the guy who beat Rick by a second way back when...I was there!).
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby dashdel » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:14 am

Oh darn..... I thought I had it.... And I was there too for the RULED Mackey win myself! i was the one with a cowboy hat on. lol... Long time ago it was. I was a mere lad. After that I handled for Rick for 3 winters...... It sure was fun at times.... Miss them too....As a matter of fact I worked for D Mackey and his wife before I knew Rick. It was in Golovin at a fish processing plant....
It sure would be something if Rick were to pull of another win in the 21st century....
dashdel

Postby Frozen Chosen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:20 pm

I meant to say you got it RIGHT, the trivia, Dashel...oh, you were at Golovin...maybe you know some local folks...
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby dashdel » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:31 pm

10-4!! :o I thought U were talking about Mackey then I looked at my other post and I did say Mackey was the oldest to win Iditarod... :)
Well my Aunt and Uncle got me the job. Maybe you have heard of them as they were long time nomites... Gary and Gerry Butcher.... I went to Golovin when I was 16 with my cousin.. We were about the only non-natives besides the Mackey's and when the boat from outside came up to get the fish we would see others non-natives. We would get payed and charter a plane back to Nome about every two weeks... Back then it was like a wild west town.. I am sure you know how it was too....I don't really recall anybody from Golovin I would remember though. But I do remember it was a great place to visit....
dashdel

Postby Frozen Chosen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:32 pm

Yeah, I think I new Gary a bit. It's been awhile. I worked for the tug and barge co. and traveled to all the villages, Wt Mt, Goloving, Elim, Koyuk, Shak, unk, st, mich, stebbins, st lawrence is, tin city, wales, brevig,shish... had a great time. I enjoyed the beach in Shaktoolik, the drift wood,e tc. and took a dip in Elotin bay, just a few miles from where libby spent the night in that terrible bering sea storm before her historic run.
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby dashdel » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:49 am

Gary used to work for Alaska Gold and the city of Nome at the power plant. Is a really smart man. I worked for AK gold as well and also a company that put the underground utilities in Nome in the late 70's. Like I said it was like the wild west back in those days..... I got around to local villages as I had many relatives in the area...
My Gmpa is Hutch.... Hutchison career center now known as Hutchison high...
dashdel

Postby mamamia » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:04 pm

I've been watching some Insider videos and I have to say... Rick seems in a very good mood this year! Such a difference from the last few. He is even talking to reporters. :shock: What a difference running at the front of the pack makes! ;)
mamamia

Postby mamamia » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:08 pm

and is it my imagination or is Rick looking a little more trim this year?
mamamia

Postby dashdel » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:17 am

You can never change the ole dog.. Pudgy and all.... :lol: :lol: But he has a heck of a team this year so look for good things from Rick... Just hope the dogs can hold up in the heat.....
dashdel

Postby Heidi » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:35 am

Still can't believe how well rick is doing, but I'm happy for him! Who would've thought he'd be in the Top 10 at this point in the race? I hope he can manage to stay there. :D :D
Heidi

PreviousNext

Return to Follow That Musher!