Paul Gebhardt

If you are dedicated fan of a particular musher, feel post or gather detailed information as much as you would like here. You can post updates, rumors and random gossip about your favorite musher or dog team, post pictures, or just connect with fellow supporters. A special welcome to all mushers who would like post or just lurk.

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Paul Gebhardt

Postby mamamia » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:12 pm

Paul has repeatedly proven himself to be an outstanding musher and dog handler yet he seems to always be the bridsmade and never the bride. Will this be his year? It is always some little thing that keeps him from the # 1 position. In 2006 he raced with pneumonia and yet came in 3rd. Last year a broken sled on the coast put him behind Lance for 2nd. If it wasn't for these unplanned for setbacks would the outcome have been different? What will happen this year if everything goes as he has planned and there are no unfortunate surprises? This may be his year. There is no doubt that he deserves it! If you haven't been there yet I encourage you to go to his webpage and read the writings of his wife Evy. She is an excellent writer and adds a lot of perspective to the race.

I have one question maybe someone can answer. Last year he had an outstanding lead dog named Governor who seems to have died since. Can anyone tell me what happened? This is one of those times when I miss the history we accumulated at Cabelas because I would love to go back and read what we wrote about Governor. From what I remember he was the kind of lead dog you tell stories about.

It would do my heart good to see Paul win this year.
mamamia

Re: Paul Gebhardt

Postby Di* » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:49 pm

HI Mamamia-I remember reading about Govenor's demise but can't seem to find it in the archives, the closest thing I could find just refers to his death, from the Dec '08 post(I think);

"I guess that is just life in general. As you know, we are still in mourning the sudden loss of Paul's awesome lead dog, Governor. Perhaps these gray days are not as dark as then seem to us right now. To answer the question so many have asked, yes - Paul is working to develop other leaders from within the ranks of the team. The best illustration I can use is to say that if the basketball team lost Michael Jordan, they would still have a team, but it certainly would be a team minus incredible leadership and talent. Governor was that caliber of lead dog, and we were just very blessed to have had him in our lives. It is sad that just at the prime of his life he is gone. Paul is regrouping, and we do have Governor's offspring in our kennel, so we know these gray days will come to pass. We appreciate all of the thoughts and prayers that have been sent our way."

I just can't remember what happened exactly seems like a moose/snowmobile or something hurt the team? I'm sure someone on here can remember...if not post over at Iditarod site and someone will know. Sorry I couldn't dig up anything better. Good to see you back on the boards, have been dealing with sick kids and Me sick too!
Di*

Postby mamamia » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:45 am

Interesting timing...

There is an article today about Gebhardt and Govenor http://www.adn.com/iditarod/2008/story/326491.html

One has to wonder how this will affect Paul's team this year. The article talks about Houston as lead but Houston is 7 years old. Evy's blog also talks about the bloodline they have developed and the strength of the dogs they have that are related to Govenor. Still, great lead dogs seem to have a certain something that transcends bloodlines and Govenor seemed an integral part of Paul's success last year. It will be interesting to see how his team shapes up over 1100 miles. On their website Evy profiles the dogs they are taking to Anchroage. It is interesting reading.
mamamia

Postby fladogfan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:19 am

So sorry about Govenor, what a loss. :cry:
fdf
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Di* » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:33 am

Wow, guess I was way off in how he died don't even remember hearing about the rock deal!

Oh well, it is interesting and wonder & ponder how he will fare without that charging leader! I feel sorry for Paul, seems he tries so hard!
Di*

Postby flowerpower » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:33 am

Poor baby, what a sad story. Scary, too, since my hound eats rocks and things on occasion. :( :(
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby txbennett » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:33 am

That was one bad run from Ophir to Cripple. Lost for six hours -- twenty hours running on the trail -- and had to drop multiple dogs. Poor Paul :!: How sad :cry: :cry: :cry:

txbennett
txbennett

Postby mamamia » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:55 pm

Well it looks like he has bounced back a bit. Great time to Ruby. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does on the Yukon. It looks like it will be easy mushing. (see the weather report I posted on the mushing talk forum)

I'm pulling for you Paul!
mamamia

Postby Heidi » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:34 pm

There are a number of mushers I wouldn't mind winning, but if I had to pick just one it would have to be Paul. He's been ever so close and he's not getting any younger. Go Paul Go!!! :D :D :D
Heidi

Postby tanglefoot » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:12 am

he looked really down in the video recently and like he was pee'd off that he'd gone so hard in the heat..he'll bound eback in sure, his dogs are keen!

GO PG GO
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Next

Return to Follow That Musher!