Rodney Whaley

If you are dedicated fan of a particular musher, feel post or gather detailed information as much as you would like here. You can post updates, rumors and random gossip about your favorite musher or dog team, post pictures, or just connect with fellow supporters. A special welcome to all mushers who would like post or just lurk.

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Rodney Whaley

Postby TN Sledfan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:12 pm

Rodney Whaley grew up in Alaska then moved with his family and wound up in Tennessee. Now he is going back as a 55 year old rookie. You can check him out at http://www.tndogmusher.com. Let's hear it for the transplanted Southerner!!!
TN Sledfan

Re: Rodney Whaley

Postby Johncn » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:58 pm

Thanks, TN....glad to have you, and new musher to follow!

Regards,

Johncn
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius

John Cn
Professional Amateur
Email: john@teachers4Schools.com
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby Steelfern » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:39 am

Rodney is running the UP200 also, running with Army National Guard Iditarod Team. You can't miss his dog trailer!!!! Rodney was in 21st position with all 12 dogs out of Wetmore. Another great looking team! Go Rodney!
Steelfern

Postby Johncn » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:00 pm

Hey TN,

Here is an article Rodney Whaley fans may enjoy reading. Includes cell phone interview from UP area:

Tennessee Guardsman Training for Iditarod in Northern Michigan
http://www.examiner.com/a-1198150~Tennessee_guardsman_training_for_Iditarod_in_northern_Michigan.html

Guardsman Master Sgt. Rodney Whaley's choice of transportation looks out of place among the manicured green lawns and brick homes in his suburban neighborhood.

With a wheeled sled at his home in Franklin, Whaley has been training with his team of dogs to become what he believes would be the first Tennessean to complete the Iditarod in March.

"I have been running my dogs around my neighborhood for about five years now, so I guess my neighbors are used to it," Whaley said in an e-mail interview.

Whaley, who is in his 50s, says his experience as an active duty soldier and his childhood in Alaska will help him through the two-week, 1,150-mile race.

The Fairbanks News-Miner ran the same AP story with a good photo located here:

Photos of Rodney & Comment Screen
http://beta.newsminer.com/photos/2008/feb/04/271/

Hope this helps,

Johncn
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby fladogfan » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:11 pm

Here you go tangles, Rodney used wheels to train in Tenn.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Steelfern » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:26 pm

from the UP200

Rodney came into the 1/2 the point 21st this afternoon with all 12 dogs! Running an average 9.0 miles per hour, in comparison leaders were running 12. There is a 8 hr layover.
Steelfern

Postby RAIMIS2 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:22 pm

Maybe next year!
RAIMIS2

Postby TN Sledfan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:57 am

Rodney had to scratch due all of his dogs coming down with a stomach virus. He thinks they got it during his 24 at McGrath. After that, they were unable to continue after he tried to go out on the trail.
TN Sledfan

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:41 am

Too bad that happened to the pups :( Hope you are able to try again, Rodney ;) Better luck next time :)
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Ebeth5674 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:26 pm

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Rodney Whaley? I live in the same town as him and would like to ask him some questions about training my husky...his website tndogmusher does not seem to be working. Any info on him would be awesome...

thanks!!
Ebeth5674

Next

Return to Follow That Musher!