Mikhail Telpin

If you are dedicated fan of a particular musher, feel post or gather detailed information as much as you would like here. You can post updates, rumors and random gossip about your favorite musher or dog team, post pictures, or just connect with fellow supporters. A special welcome to all mushers who would like post or just lurk.

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Mikhail Telpin

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 am

An ITC article re Mikhail Telpin and his dogs:

http://iditarod.com/eye-on-the-trail-mi ... rie-hanke/
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Re: Mikhail Telpin

Postby 7 Siberians » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:13 pm

I read that too, it was very interesting. For some reason , his team intrigues me, I wish he would race the Iditarod again in the future.
7 Siberians endorsed by 2 Shiba Inu
7 Siberians

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:35 am

I like the look of his team also. I was very pleased with the way the 2012 Quest treated him. Read an article earlier that said the terrain of the Quest iwas very foreign to what he was use to in his home area. He has been practicing with trees and once Mikhail hits the coast he'll be right at home.
He's doing so well this time. Sturdy little working dogs :D
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby 7 Siberians » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Big jump in standings for him, now 44th. Mike Ellis 40th. Thursday.
7 Siberians

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:18 am

Team chukchi is almost to Safety!!
fladogfan

Postby 7 Siberians » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:58 pm

In to Nome, wish ITC had shown his team in the Chute! From what I read, they didn't want to go under the Arch!

Congratulations to Mihail and Team!
7 Siberians

Postby fladogfan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:23 pm

I got to see them in! His team stopped short and Mikhail walked them up under the chute. Don't know if arch stopped them, there were so many people in the chute, that might have stopped them. You know when the teams get in a checkpoint the group of humans is where they stop, maybe that was what they thought. Anyway, a real good crowd to greet him including mushers!
fladogfan

Postby fladogfan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:58 am

Found this article on ITC in the 2014 teachers on the trail area. There are a lot of articles by teachers vying to be the next teacher on the trail. Very interesting. This one is written by Jennifer Reiter. I'm sorry the photos didn't copy to this page. You can see them if you visit the ITC page:
News From The Finalists for 2014 Teacher on the Trail http://finalistsforteacheronthetrail.wordpress.com/ Second article down as of this date.

From Russia, With Dogs
March 10, 2013 in 2013 Iditarod, Jennifer Reiter

As you know, I am always drawn to the stories behind the mushers and their dogs. Mikhail Telpin has a great story and he’s working to share it with students around the world. Mikhail is from Chukotka, Russia. He is spending his second winter in Willow where he is sharing kennel space with Joar Ulsom from Norway who is also racing in the Iditarod this year. The two are a part of Team Racing Beringia, which is a group of two mushers, their dogs, and an educator who are traveling via dogsled for two years over 3,500 miles across Beringia, the oldest inhabited Arctic region.

Mikhail made a stir at the vet checks on the Wednesday before the race when he dropped his Chukchi dogs from their dog boxes for the vets to examine. These are not your typical Alaskan Huskies we are used to seeing travel the Iditarod Trail! Mikhail is a subsistence hunter and these dogs are his life line partners in hunting and providing for his family. He hunts marine mammals and the dogs help him haul loads back to his family. The dogs are working dogs that have been bred and used by his people for thousands of years. The vets were very impressed with the dogs and commented how healthy they appeared. The dogs were so calm at vet checks. Mikhail doesn’t speak any English, so the vets have printed up cards with the phrases they think they will have to ask Mikhail in the checkpoints along the trail.

Mikhail is a renowned musher in Russia. In running the Yukon Quest last year, he had concerns about running his team in the dark because of the trees. He and his team don’t have trees in the coastal area where they live! He was afraid they would get lost among the trees and not be able to follow the trail. In that race he won the Red Lantern award and a special award for demonstrating the “spirit of the Yukon Quest.”

There is quite an international pool in the mushers this year: USA, Canada, Jamaica, Brazil, Norway, and New Zealand. There are wonderful opportunities to put a global spin on the race. I was intrigued by the idea that the oldest remains of sled dogs (over 8,000 years old) have been found in Beringia – which Chukotka and Alaska are a part of! There is also evidence that Togo – the lead dog for part of the Serum Run of 1925 was a Chukchi dog! This social studies lesson has students using online sources to compare the Chukchi dogs to the Alaskan Huskies. There are several options for additional writing assignments as well. From Russia With Dogs
fladogfan

Return to Follow That Musher!