Joar Leifseth Ulsom

If you are dedicated fan of a particular musher, feel post or gather detailed information as much as you would like here. You can post updates, rumors and random gossip about your favorite musher or dog team, post pictures, or just connect with fellow supporters. A special welcome to all mushers who would like post or just lurk.

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Joar Leifseth Ulsom

Postby mira » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:26 am

:o :o

No thread for Joar?

Considered it done.

http://iditarod.com/musher/rookie-joar-leifseth-ulsom-is-6th-into-koyuk/

I did pick him as my ROTY.. I had him in my TTP at one time, but looked at all the experienced mushers and changed. We don't know the results yet, but it's look like he proved me wrong :D
mira

Re: Joar Leifseth Ulsom

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:01 pm

mira, how is Joar's name pronounced? I saw someone said "Uoar" but would that be ooo or a hard U?
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby ikh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:05 pm

fladogfan wrote:mira, how is Joar's name pronounced? I saw someone said "Uoar" but would that be ooo or a hard U?

"You-are" - well, almost, at least... ;)
Probably more "Yo-are"?
Inger Karin in Oslo, Norway
ikh

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks ikh, that's almost how I was saying it. Tho I had it all one syllable, Yoar. So Yo-are it is. :D
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mira » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:08 pm

Good description ikh, much better than I would be able to ;)
mira

Postby mira » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:24 am

mira

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:45 pm

Great pics. Thanks, Mira. The blankets Joar is placing on the dogs almost appear to be wool! And castration for a parking offense? Ouch! :lol:
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby mira » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:02 pm

I've no idea of what he uses or what is common to use amongst mushers to this.

But wool is very common in Norway so I wouldn't be surprised.
mira

Postby Breeze » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:23 pm

Wool. yes, Wool.

Now you've got me prowling again, the Dale of Norway works, the Lobbens, the Icelandic traditions and patterns , the sheep breeds and their fleece characteristics. Knowing I have a whole room in my house nearly stuffed with washed and carded natural sheep's wool: black, brown, grey, silver, white and not quite white... .bags and bags and pounds and pounds, and every little thing I need to make any color gradation of the rainbow. 2 spinning wheels, a wool picker, a batt carder, a vintage wool combing stand . I could go underground for months and months, and maybe I SHOULD return to a hobby and passion that once consumed me.

Wool is one of nature's best insulators, and the many ways of preparation and finishing wool learned over centuries of history and the vast differences in environment across this world can tailor a wool product to nearly any need.

The multitudes of man-made fiber outerwear that have been introduced over the last decades have been in development to reduce the pack weight and pack volume of materials necessary to do the work that wool can < used> do. In some cases, it is at best a wash. Some hikers in New England bemoan the fact that Boiled Wool Mittens are both difficult to find and, when found, inferior to products previously used.

Animal fibers such as wool, , ( and dog fur as well as musk ox ), goose down and the furs /skins you see as parka ruff, or mukluks, or mitts still have a place in the big scheme of things in their original environment. There is much good reason, and physics behind all of it.

In 1993 I agreed to barter my spinning skill for another's knitting skill. A skilled knitter looked at my handspun yarn and said, yes, I'll knit that yarn to that pattern, if you'll take these 4 paper grocery bags of Keeshond sheddings and give enough me yarn to make <x> pattern for my son.

Her son and I can STILL spot each other across 500 yards of a crowded annual state fair ground because both of us emit steam when every one around us is shivering. It is the property of the fiber in action.

Norway and Iceland have a large export industry in wool and wool products for good reason.

breeze
Breeze

Postby Moose » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:03 pm

Breeze, you're awesome. Great info.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Next

Return to Follow That Musher!