Heia! Team Norway!

If you are dedicated fan of a particular musher, feel post or gather detailed information as much as you would like here. You can post updates, rumors and random gossip about your favorite musher or dog team, post pictures, or just connect with fellow supporters. A special welcome to all mushers who would like post or just lurk.

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Heia! Team Norway!

Postby MotorWerk » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:07 am

Wants to win Iditarod.

The Femund-race was just supposed to be a warm-up for Kjetil Backen and his team. They ended up winning it.
Now the man from Eidanger (his place of residence, ed.) is looking forward to the Iditarod and 1,800 kilometers with
temperatures reaching -50C in the wild nature of Alaska.

Kjetil Backen and his team of handlers and 16 dogs will leave for Alaska February 21. The Iditarod starts March 1, and
during the following days Backen will try to win what is known as "The Last Great Race on Earth".

Yesterday Backen started on his way home after winning the prestigious Femund-race, which was also the Norwegian Championship for long distance mushers. Backen and his dogs showed real class on the last leg from Tolga to Røros. Ketil Reitan had a 51-minute lead out of Tolga, but could not hold off from Backen's strong finish. The "Mush"-competitor ("Mush" being the name of his local club) finished the race in 59 hours. However, this is peanuts compared to what awaits in Alaska where the distance is 1,800 kilometers.

-The challenges are lining up over there. Sleep deprivation gives you hallucinations. It could well be three or more days
with temperatures as low as -50C, and there is the occasional blizzard. In addition to that the distance is the equivalent of Oslo-Alta (ie very far). We race about 300 kilometers a day with the team, says Backen, and points out that he is looking forward to it.

-This is in many ways the ultimate challenge, and it's this season's main goal. I came 3rd in 2004, this year I want to win.

Kjetil Backen first competed in the Iditarod in 2002. Then he was second best of the rookies and finished 10th.

Should he win there will be honor and glory, and about 1 million NOK (car included).

-Money is not an issue. What means something is the joy of racing and the bonding with the dogs. Being able to go to Alaska and compete with the best in the world is a bonus, says Kjetil Backen.

Dogs and mushing plays a big part in Kjetil Backen's life. He trains with the dogs 70 hours a week. Added to that comes the daily caretaking of the 20 dogs he has at his home in Eidanger.

-When I spend so much time doing this it isn't just for fun. It's about high-level delivery, but I'm not getting rich from
mushing, he says.

The victory in the Femund-race came without Backen and his dogs having to take out everything.

-Everything went according to plan. At the finish the dogs wanted to go on. This race was an important warm-up for things to come, but of course it was fun to win, he says, and adds that he saw the opportunity to win with one leg remaining.

-It was apparent that the leading team (Reitan) was going slower. We just kept going at a steady pace, and cut down half an hour of resting time when I discovered I had a chance to win. The dogs could have gone faster, but I just let them go at their own pace. With Iditarod in mind there was no need to push harder.

The following night Backen allowed himself 6 hours of sleep. That is what he calls luxury and wouldn't spoil himself with
more. During the (approximately) 60 hours of the Femund-race he had a total of an hour and a half of sleep. In Alaska it will be much tougher.

-In Alaska I will probably get 2-3 hours of sleep each day during the 9 days of competition. Now we're going home to
fine-tune (the stamina). The foundation is already there and we are ready for Alaska, finishes Kjetil.

Mona Kolstad from Porsgrunn won the F400 race last year. This year she followed up with a strong 8th place in the F600 event.

ps. "Wild-Man celebrity" Lars Monsen finished 5th in the Femund-race.

copyright: Hans Eivind Øygarden/TA

translated and posted with Øygarden's permission.

(some rearranging had to be done to keep the article flowing)
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby tilstede2 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:38 am

Great job :-)

Did you see that DN has a loooong article with biiiiiiiig pitures in their friday's magazine?
My son is going on winther holiday to Trysil today, with a friend. Daughter going too, with her brass band. Kitchen King is in LA.

So tonight, in a totally quiet house, I'll curl myself up in the sofa and read the article .... or, I think I'll read it twice :-)
Last edited by tilstede2 on Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
tilstede2

Postby MotorWerk » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:49 am

Hehe. It's nice to have some quality time on your own every now and then. I'm saving the DN article for Sunday. Going to read with a cup of hot cocoa in front of the fire place.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby dilli » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:20 pm

Wow. Thank you all so much for these wonderful translations! I
I owe you beloved Norwegians a lot of brown bread, cheese and brownies.

A safe and calm journey across the pond to Team Norway! Welcome back!!!!! Whoohoo!!!!! *Happy Dance* Heia !!GoTeamNorwayGo!!

I soooo wish I could get DSL .. I'm having a real nightmare waiting for multimedia and fancy websites to load so I can view it. Sure am glad the 3 day statewide internet outage we had last week is fixed now. I would have gone berserk if that had happened during the Irod. :o
We've got treats
dilli

Postby Another UK Fan » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:38 am

Thank you thank you thank you for the translations!

Dilli - good to see you here and know that the internet angel (there must be one) is on your side! :lol:
Another UK Fan

Postby tilstede2 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:07 pm

Here's a list of the lucky 17 which have won a ticket to the SK937-flight:

Baloo, Bruno, Dee Dee, Føn, Grayling, Ivrig, Jessi, Kasper, Lady, Lara, Mai, Marius, Maya, Rolex, Sabena, Susann og Xo.
tilstede2

Postby Moose » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:35 pm

Thanks, Tilstede. It's good to have some names to go with those handsome and beautiful faces we'll be looking for along the trail. Heia! Team Norway! Safe trip. Soft landing. Easy run.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby MotorWerk » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:54 pm

New article on Backen http://www.ta.no/lokal_sport/article3358513.ece

Another writer this time, so I'll try to get him on the phone tomorrow to get the OK on translation. Briefly the article is about Backen doing the finishing touches before going over to Alaska. The article also says that the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation has done something on Backen/mushing - looking forward to seeing that.
-exit body, exit mind-

MotorWerk

Postby dilli » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:39 am

Has Team Norway arrived yet? Read on Hurdal they had a connecting flight delay in Seattle :roll: , which gave them a chance to walk the dogs ( I bet they were VERY relieved after keeping their legs crossed for so long) :lol: :lol: :lol: .. did I translate right?
Won't stop pacing .. can't relax until TN is on solid ground in AK .. I'm soooo excited!!!!!

Welcome back to the USA ((((Team Norway)))))) aaaaWWWWWOOOOOooo

:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
*Happy Dance*
We've got treats
dilli

Postby MotorWerk » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:52 am

You are right about the delay. The flight to Anchorage is 6 hrs delayed. The dogs look to be in good shape, the article also says.
-exit body, exit mind-

MotorWerk

PreviousNext

Return to Follow That Musher!