Cindy Abbott

If you are dedicated fan of a particular musher, feel post or gather detailed information as much as you would like here. You can post updates, rumors and random gossip about your favorite musher or dog team, post pictures, or just connect with fellow supporters. A special welcome to all mushers who would like post or just lurk.

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Cindy Abbott

Postby alexmstein » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:02 am

As Cindy Abbott is preparing for her 3rd Iditarod run in 2015, my friends Renee Sotile and Mary Joe Godges are finishing their documentary on Cindy called BANNER ON THE MOON -- and they just had Valerie Harper record the narration. There's a screening of the movie in Southern California in a few weeks and it should be available on DVD next year.

As you may or may not know, Cindy was diagnosed with a rare, fatal disease called Wegener’s Granulomatosis, then went on to summit Mount Everest. She trained with Lance Mackey and his team, but scratched two years ago after breaking her pelvis (and then continuing for hundreds of miles anyway), then scratched last year running a team from Vern Halter's kennel. She's running again in 2015 with Vern's dogs.

The movie covers Cindy's background and diagnosis, but focuses mostly on her Everest trip and Iditarod runs.

In the interest of full disclosure, I played a very minor role in helping put the movie together -- a few scenes I shot from the start of Iditarod are used in the film and I helped rewrite some of the narration.
alexmstein

Re: Cindy Abbott

Postby fladogfan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:22 am

Alex, you may downplay your role in this adventure, but it still is very interesting.
I hope you can make chat today and share some more about Cindy and your part in this movie.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Return to Follow That Musher!