Sigrid Ekran

If you are dedicated fan of a particular musher, feel post or gather detailed information as much as you would like here. You can post updates, rumors and random gossip about your favorite musher or dog team, post pictures, or just connect with fellow supporters. A special welcome to all mushers who would like post or just lurk.

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Sigrid Ekran

Postby Di* » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:29 pm

What exactly is Sigrid's racing history? Was the Iditarod the first race she ever ran? I can't remember hearing of any other races......Thanks so much for all the translating til & motor & eskil!
Di*

Postby tilstede2 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Well, she'd have to qualify for the Iditarod, but I think it was her first season.
She managed to collect som 13-14 dogs this first season, and borrowed a couple to have 16. One of them was a spare dog from Robert Sorlie, I think. Correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong :-)
tilstede2

Postby MotorWerk » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:50 pm

Her racing history isn't very long. In Norway she is still most famous for being in a television series about a nature park called "Langedrag". I believe she was known as the wolf-girl then. You can read more about her here:http://www.norway.org/culture/Iditarod/Norwegian+mushers+profile.htm
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby tilstede2 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:42 pm

LAST part of the article:

Until the race starts, Sigrid will be busy with small races, and not least – packing fooddrops. – Both me and the dogs needs food. There is a lot of preparations needed. The dogs will have extra need of food when they run the Iditarod.

Last winther Sigrid lived with Inuits (note: original text “eskimo”) in Kotzebue, which is located in the northwestern coast of Alaska. Hosted by the Iditarod-veteran Louis Nelson and his wife (Lulu) she learned the Inuit way of living.

- They live a self-sustaining life and hunts wild animals for food, and exploits the hud. I learned a lot from living with them for three months.

The Kotzebue society is small and isolated, and during winther the temperature often sinks to – 50 celcius. The Inuits connection to the dogs is more a working relation than seeing them as pet animals.

It was Louis’wofe who made me my hat. It is fantastic, she says. Recently Sigrid got Bergans as a sponsor. In addition to economical support, they provide her equipment.

- It is fantastic to have a sponsor. I don’t need mush to stay alive, but I need a lot of money for the dog’s food and gas for the car. But her Inuit hat stays on her head.

Back home to Norway

In October Sigrid’s visa for the USA expires. Then she is forced to go back home.

- To leave Alaska will be both bad and nice. I love my life here. But at the same time I miss my family and friends in Norway, she says.

It is uncertain if she will return to the district where she was born and raised. – Maybe I’ll settle in the Roros-area (Femundlopet district) or in Northern Norway. But it is out of the question to live in a city. I am bringing the dogs, so it has to be a place where I can find room for them.
Sigrid will definitely continue mushing. – It would have been fun to try the Finnmarkslopet.

March 28 Sigrid will participate in the expedition Ellesmere Island in Canada, where the 6 participants will witness the climate change.

During 69 days they will do cross country skiing and mush the 2.200 kilometres across Ellesmere Island in Canada – the northernmost area of the American continent.

- It is an exciting expedition. I hope to contribute to motivate young people to use the nature and discover the important values we get from it.

A new day dawns in Alaska. The trees are covered in snow. Still the light is weak, but the sun is rising. It creates red-orange stripes on the thin clouds I the sky. Sigrid connects the dogs to the tow line. She sets of with the dogs. During the morning hours she travels along the first part of the Iditarod Trail. Sigrid and her team pass several others teams. Excitement fills the air. Soon they may be competitors.

To ease the leader Islay, Sigrid tests a new dog in lead. The dogs do some rank fighting. In a calm, but very strict voice, Sigrid shouts to them. They straighten up. She mushes over a icelayed lake, surrounded by majestetic mountains, before she disappears into the deep forest.
tilstede2

Postby Breeze » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:28 pm

Most precious story, TAK, Tilstede, for translating.

We knew Sigrid was one of a very few special women last year during the Iditatrod race. I think Sigrid is a unique "work in progress" and I look forward to hearing about her future plans.

In my heart of hearts, I believe the Spirit of Susan Butcher will be a mentor for Sigrid for all the Days of Sigrid's life. There seems a special integrity, strongly shared between them.

How fortunate we are to know what you have shared with us.

Breeze
Breeze

Postby MotorWerk » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:13 pm

She sure has an adorable smile. Here from last years ceremonial start:

-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby Aron the Mutt » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Found this picture of Sigrid on the pages of malamute breeder Terra Polar. Some 8 years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previously known as "Farmer" on the Cabela's forum.
Aron the Mutt

Postby Johncn » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:26 pm

Hey,

Heard a rumor that Sigrid MAY be one of the mushers being documented during the race for the Discovery Channel reality show....does anyone know if this is true?

Regards,

Johncn
"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius

John Cn
Professional Amateur
Email: john@teachers4Schools.com
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby MotorWerk » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:20 am

I spoke to my brother last night and he had heard the same thing. Don't know his sources, though.
-exit body, exit mind-

MotorWerk

Postby tilstede » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:03 am

What I know, is that she travelled to New York some 10 days ago, to participate in a TV Show. Don't know which channel.

After Iditarod she will participate in an expedition crossing Ellesmere Island.
Could Discovery Channel be involved in that project?

Edit: She was interview by Discovery earlier this year.
tilstede

PreviousNext

Return to Follow That Musher!