UPDATE MELANIE GOULD

If you are dedicated fan of a particular musher, feel post or gather detailed information as much as you would like here. You can post updates, rumors and random gossip about your favorite musher or dog team, post pictures, or just connect with fellow supporters. A special welcome to all mushers who would like post or just lurk.

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

UPDATE MELANIE GOULD

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:53 pm

I have never been one to intrude on anyone's privacy, but I took a chance and emailed Mel this week to see if she was OK and if we would be seeing her in the Iditarod soon. I had heard from other sources about why Mel pulled out of last years race, and what was happening with her, but that was Mel's personal life, and I didn't feel it was my place to share that information.
However, Mel has answered my inquiry and said I could pass her words along which I include below.

Well, Brian, you certainly know how to make someone feel loved! The Iditarod world seems so far away to me now...it's nice to know people think about us. I left my partner of 10 years in December, as well as the entire life we had built up together. The hardest thing I've ever done, but a necessary step for my own happiness. Needless to say, because I'm not a fighter, I took a huge loss and am left with just 13 dogs, 9 of which could race. Also left homeless, I was relying on friends for the last 6 months... Good karma came my way and I just bought 40 acres backed up against the Talkeetna mountains, off the grid and endless trail access. So, my dogs and I are homesteading..living in a tipi and getting ready for winter. Racing is just not priority or practical at this time. Need to build a cabin and make some puppies...maybe the Yukon Quest in a few years. Until then, I look forward to expedition mushing trips in the Talkeetnas and making new trails. So, thats the scoop, you can pass the word along. My mushing spirit and lifestyle with the dogs is more alive than ever and will only continue to grow! Take care, mel

So, while I'm sad we won't be seeing Mel for a while, I'm happy that she's OK and keeping her spirit and dream alive.
I'm sure she'll be back someday, and I'm looking forward to seeing her race again.

MelanieGouldFan Brian
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Re: UPDATE MELANIE GOULD

Postby Heidi » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:50 pm

Wow, thanks for that report MGFB! But it sounds like she's in good spirits, so that's good to know. I look forward to seeing her race again too. :)
Heidi

Postby MotorWerk » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:45 am

Of course she'll race again. It's in her blood.
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:53 am

Can everybody understand now why I like and respect Mel so much? She is a classy and determined lady. I sincerely hope she's back soon, because I KNOW she's destined for not only a top ten finish soon, but an Iditarod WIN someday.
It's just gonna be so odd not being able to follow her progress in the race for possibly a few more years. :cry:

MGF Brian
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Heidi » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:08 pm

MGFB, how did you get to be such a big fan of Mel's? Did you meet her or you read about her or...? Just curious. ;) :)
Heidi

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:31 am

Hey Heidi:
Ahhh Mel! Where do I start? :D I like everything about Mel! ;)
I was a Charlie Boulding fan until his retirement in 2005, and always followed Charlie along the trial. In 2000, when Mel appeared in her first Iditarod, I selected her as my ROY in my own top ten and ROY picks before I discovered the forum. Well, she finished 64th out of 68, but finished ahead of veteran Lynda Plettner, which impressed me for some reason back then. In Mel's next race in 2002, she jumped up to 37th. I was very impressed by that leap up the pack. In each and every race since, she has only done better, going from 37th to 25th to 23rd to 18th. (I am pleased to note that the only ceremonial start I ever attended was in 2006 when Mel finished her best at 18th! Coincidence? Karma? I also have the Bib she wore in that race autographed and hanging with pride on my wall.)
At work one day during the 2005 Iditarod, I tuned into a Talkeetna Alaska program called Whole Wheat Radio that was going to play a 2003 interview with Mel. I managed to get this interview onto a CD (no idea how I did it) so I can listen to it whenever. Hearing Mel on this program really made me respect her even more. Not only her Alaskan lifestyle, which I truly envy, but her obvious love for her dogs and the wilderness. She also has a great sense of humor. When she told of the battle she had during a race when all of her females seemed to go into heat at the same time, it was funny sure, but it also showed her determination to handle the situation she was given and keep running. I can see some other musher's just quitting over a situation like that.
I knew then, and know now, that Mel will one day win the Iditarod.
You don't really hear, see, or read much about Mel either. But the things you do are quite fascinating. Just her story of coming back to Alaska and accomplishing what she has in a few short years is fascinating enough. But stories like her dog Olive escaping at the Anchorage airport and leading airport people on a merry chase around the airport grounds is one of my favorites. And her response during one race when she was told she was in first place -"I didn't mean to be in first place" is priceless.
OK! Here's the part where I sound like a dirty old guy! But I think Mel has a natural beauty as well. ;) She's got that no makeup, outdoors, natural kind of look to her. And pictures of Mel on the trail or at a checkpoint with cold, windswept cheeks . . . I . . . well . . ! :oops: :oops:
Anyway, I have never met Mel I'm sorry to say. Perhaps someday. But I do have some great video and some great photo's of Mel from the 2006 start. :D

So that's why I am a Melanie Gould fan! Loud, proud, and unrepentant!
MGF Brian
Last edited by MelanieGouldFanBrian on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Heidi » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Awesome story MGFB, thanks for sharing. :) Not a dirty old man, just a big, big fan! (Hey, I'm a poet and didn't know it! LOL)

I have to admit I'm not a die-hard fan of anyone these days - I guess I have a "group" of favorite mushers. And even that seems to change from year to year. :D
Heidi

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:52 pm

That's a beautiful story, Brian. Who knows, perhaps you should go to the prerace banquet one of these years and take a chance--see if you can just bump into her and say "Hi".

May she never let you down.
Holly Golightly

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:01 am

Holly:
Mel could come back and NEVER finish in the top 20 again, and I would NEVER consider that she let me down! :D
Pre-race banquet meeting is a fine idea. But my goal is to be Mel's Iditarider the first year she comes back. Already putting my pennies in a jar for when the big day comes! Just me and Mel for 11 miles! :mrgreen:

MGF Brian
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby emwcee » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:12 pm

Thanks so much for sharing, MGFBrian. That's what I love about the Iditarod -- you feel like you know the mushers. I also love the fact that you you can enjoy the race from the standpoint of an avid fan of one musher, but you can enjoy it just as much if you don't have a favorite. Although I have a few mushers I like to follow, I usually cheer for someone different each race.
emwcee

Next

Return to Follow That Musher!