MELANIE GOULD

If you are dedicated fan of a particular musher, feel post or gather detailed information as much as you would like here. You can post updates, rumors and random gossip about your favorite musher or dog team, post pictures, or just connect with fellow supporters. A special welcome to all mushers who would like post or just lurk.

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

MELANIE GOULD

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:52 am

Since my favorite Musher, Melanie Gould, will not be running the Iditarod this year, I just want to make sure that she is not forgotten.
Mel is the Iditaracer of the furture (in my humble opinion). Since her first Iditarod in 2000 when she finished 64th, she has steadily improved every starting year, finishing 37th, 25th, 23rd, 23rd, and 18th respectively, until the 2007 Rainy Pass trauma that effected so many mushers last year.
She is poised to strike for the top 10 now, and I hope the year off doesn't affect her adversely. I'm sure it won't. Mel seems like a strong, independent lady to me, and I figure she'll be back and ready to hit the top 10 soon!

Brian

Lucky Yuppie!

You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Re: MELANIE GOULD

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:58 am

What will Melanie be doing come Saturday Morning, March 1st? :?
Will she be in Anchorage for the ceremonial start?
Will she be home swilling hot chocolate and experiencing Iditarod withdrawal pains?
Will she attend the re-start at Willow?
Will she be following the race as closely as us on line?
Will her and her dogs be out running a trail, and training for next year?
Will she be searching her kennel for Pope Poop? :D (joke in reference to a 2005 Talkeetna Whole Wheat Radio interview with Mel in which Mel was asked that in all the dog poop she sees during a race, had she ever seen one resembling the Pope) :D :D

Oh, it's just so overwhelming.
An Iditarod start without Mel!
An entire race without Mel! :cry:

Sorry for all the slobbering. blubbering and carrying on!
Brian
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:06 pm

Forget Obama, Clinton & McCain. Forget primaries, debates, delegates and exit polls. Forget mud slinging, scandals, lack of experience, or selling out to lobbyists :x
There is one thing far more important than the next Presidential election! And that is Saturday, June 28th!
For that is the opening day for signing up for next year's Iditarod. :D And that will be the day that MY biggest concern will be addressed, MY biggest doubts (hopefully) quelled, and MY biggest question finally answered!
WILL MELANIE GOULD BE BACK FOR IDITAROD 2009? :?
We must have our priorities set in these troubling times. And I am proud to say that mine is set, and that I am unswerving in my dedication to it.
It'll be a long, tough and arduous 3 months, but the end result (hopefully) will be worth it. :D

Here's looking forward to good things and a better world on June 28th ;)

Brian
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:10 am

Have heard that Heather Siirtola probably won't run in the Iditarod next year, but is planning for a 2010 run.
This leaves it up to Mel to to make sure that at least one woman is representing Talkeetna in the 2009 race!
Boy, Oh Boy, June 28th can't come fast enough for me. ;)

Brian
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:00 am

WHERE'S MEL??
WHERE ARE YOU MEL?
YOU'RE BREAKING MY HEART!
I'LL BE NOTHING BUT A SMOLDERING BIT OF ASH IF I HAVE TO WAIT TILL DECEMBER TO SEE IF YOU'VE SIGNED UP FOR THE 2009 RACE!
HELP!
BRIAN
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:25 am

Hurry back Mel!

Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Moose » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:37 pm

Ahhh. Puppy love. ;)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:12 pm

Mushers are training all over Alaska, as well as Colorado, Montana, and of course Norway and even Jamaica!
And I follow all that news wherever I can come across it because I AM AN IDITAROD fan!
But, in order to get any news on my favorite musher, I have to re-read old news! Hey, you gotta do what ya gotta do in this world! I thought I'd share in these terrible Mel-less days, :cry: my all-time favorite Melanie Gould story from the ADN.
MGFB

IDITAROD DOG GETS LOOSE,SCAMPERS AROUND AIRPORT
Published: March 10, 2005

Melanie Gould's dog Olive may have been dropped from the Iditarod, but there's no question the husky can still run.
Airport and Iditarod officials spent the better part of Tuesday afternoon and evening chasing the sled dog around the windswept, snow-covered grounds of Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport after she bolted off an incoming PenAir flight around 2:15 p.m.

Gould, who is competing in her fifth Iditarod this year, dropped Olive in Rohn, about 270 miles into the 1,100-mile race across Alaska, but officials would not say why the dog was cut from the team and flown to Anchorage. Olive was en route to her home in Talkeetna, about a three-hour drive from Anchorage, when she escaped.
"She just darted out the minute they opened that cargo bay," said Iditarod spokesman Chas St. George.
PenAir officials reached Wednesday declined to comment on the incident.

Airport authorities were notified of the problem around 2:30 p.m. Olive was loose in a roughly 2,100-acre, fenced-in area that includes all of the airport's major runways and trees and brush along the perimeters.
A small group of airport operations personnel and PenAir employees, as well as a few Iditarod officials, tried unsuccessfully for about four hours to capture Olive, said St. George and airport spokeswoman Jennifer Payne.
"That dog can really run," Payne said.
Kim Walker, a pipeline operator at the airport's fuel tank farm, said he spotted Olive at one point near one of the tanks, but she only looked in his direction for a moment and then darted away. "(She) looked more like a coyote to me," he said.
A veterinarian was called out early in the chase and came armed with a tranquilizer in case of an emergency, such as Olive playing chicken with a 747 on a runway, which never materialized, officials said.
The vet and airport operators ultimately decided to let Olive hunker down in some woods on the west side of the north-south runway until dawn, when they figured she'd be hungry and more cooperative, Payne said.

Operations folks kept a close eye on the runways overnight Tuesday to make sure there weren't any problems, Payne said. In the meantime, someone contacted a talkeetna man involved in Gould's kennel and asked him to come in the following morning to help capture Olive.
The man coaxed Olive into custody around 11:15 a.m. Wednesday by calling her name and offering her some fresh hamburger, St. George said. "She's a smart dog," he said. "If she's going to go back home she's going to get something good out of it."
A vet checked the dog and gave her a clean bill of health, officials said.
St. George said he couldn't disclose why the dog was dropped from the race because such information isn't part of the public record. In general, dogs can be dropped at any of the 22 checkpoints along the trail, for any number of reasons, such as a bad attitude, an injury or if they are under the weather. Mushers work closely with veterinarians on the decisions, St. George said.
Iditarod officials have not attempted to contact Gould about Olive's airport adventure. St. George said the musher has bigger things on her mind right now. Gould was in Takotna with her remaining 14 dogs and listed in 16th place Wednesday evening.

Olive-The Girl in Question
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Moose » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:45 pm

I remember that incident, but I don't remember seeing a photo of Olive. What a lovely girl.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:17 pm

Olive photo from Mel's website!
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Return to Follow That Musher!