website question

The BSSD Student Broadcasting Team will be working in the field to provide as much coverage of the 2009 Iditarod as possible. This is a multi-village student project, and so everything you see is result of many students working together. Use this forum to offer comments, suggestions, requests, and feedback. This area also houses links to past IditaProject video, pictures and audio.

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

website question

Postby emwcee » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:44 am

The kids do such a good job with the videos. Would it be possible to have a prominent link that says "Updated Videos and Pictures of this Year's Race" or something like that on the home page? I may be a bit slow, but I didn't realize that we were supposed to click on "Iditaproject Gallery" to see the videos. I found the link by reading Jon's blog. Before, I kept clicking on "Mushing Audio and Video" and just seeing videos from previous years.

I think it would be good to make the link for videos very obvious. I would hate to have anyone miss it. It's just such a great resource.
emwcee

Re: website question

Postby tanglefoot » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:00 pm

john id like to know which each part of the logo is and the meaning behind each bit. thanks john
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Daphne in Alberta » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:18 am

Not sure where to post this question. I have been trying to reach the Google Earth Iditarod link that the U.of AK set up. It is supposed to update every 15 minutes and I am assuming, show you where the mushers are. I have the site and I can see Unalakleet, Shaktoolik etc but I don't see the mushers showing up. Am I doing something wrong? Now Ionearth is no longer available I am all at sea. (No pun intended)
Daphne in Alberta

Postby Matador » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:29 am

Daphne in Alberta wrote:Not sure where to post this question. I have been trying to reach the Google Earth Iditarod link that the U.of AK set up. It is supposed to update every 15 minutes and I am assuming, show you where the mushers are. I have the site and I can see Unalakleet, Shaktoolik etc but I don't see the mushers showing up. Am I doing something wrong? Now Ionearth is no longer available I am all at sea. (No pun intended)

HI
The UAF 2010 KML file is really just the 2008 northern route file this year, without the GPS tracking.
The reason seems to be that
1) UAF ran out of volunteers/money.
2) The Iditarod folk now offer , for a small fee, the Insider Club, which has the GSP trackng, but not in a KML file format this year.

So you have to join the insiders and view the GPS in one window, and run Google Earth in another (or run 2 PCs side by side like ,me)
A few words about he KML file, its great but I found errors in the to from popups at some checkpoints.
They show the southern route, even though the file dates are 2020.
You can find the correct route comments here. http://www.iditarod.com/checkpoints/
Then if your handy with GoogleEarth you can update the information in each popup

I found the lat long of some UAF KML checkpoint is off a bit.
oupp the correct dtta oon ITditard.com by clicking on the checkpoint
Matador

Re: website question more answers

Postby Matador » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:38 am

more
( long replies get gittery..so here si aprt 2

To fix the lat long in the KML file go to Iditarod.com join the Insiders and then under the GPS page on the left, select checkpoints.
Clicking on each checkpoint will pop up the lat / long. the modify the GoogleEarth property of each checkpoint. I chaged the color too so I know what I updated. I verified these new lat/longs several times as mushers gathered at checkpoints.
If you know a ltlle XML its real easy.
Out of respect for the need to fund the race, I'm not going to try and hack the GPS into GoogleEarth.
Maybe next year they will make that part of the fee based passworded Insider package. I think that would be great and bring more financial support in too.
Have fun
See Y'A In Nome!
Gerrit
/aka Matador
Matador

Postby Daphne in Alberta » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:41 am

Thankyo Matador. That sounds a bit complicated for me lol. I'm not joining the Insider for the sake of a day or so, so I guess I will manage with the Current Standings. It was fun while it lasted!
Daphne in Alberta

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:30 pm

Daphne, The students aren't covering the race this year. Johncn posted that info before the race in mushing talk area.
Think it's conflicking events, but might also be money or man power too.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Return to IditaProject Video, Images & Audio