can you help guys? kennel names

The BSSD Student Broadcasting Team will be working in the field to provide as much coverage of the 2009 Iditarod as possible. This is a multi-village student project, and so everything you see is result of many students working together. Use this forum to offer comments, suggestions, requests, and feedback. This area also houses links to past IditaProject video, pictures and audio.

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

can you help guys? kennel names

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:49 am

hi to all the BSSD students...we were wondering if you can help us? :)

ok... here goes...we race sled dogs in the uk, a little differently than you guys do in Alaska, shorter distances and sadly on dryland not snow... we dont egt much, i'll post a pic so you can see what i mean...

anyway.. we are planning a litter of pups in the fall/winter, we have excellent studs lined up to use and are breeding racing bloodlines to help us in the coming years

our dogs are pure breed siberian huskies, ok a little slower than the alaskans you guys use , but in the UK we are governed in our races by some rules set down by the kennel club of GB. rightly or wrongly they govern the breedind of the pure breds, such as the siberian huskies. alaskan malamutes, samoyds, border collies, german shepards etc etc, so the pedigree breeding of dogs in the uk. Most race organisors will only let pure breed dogs run in uk races, its complicated... but i think they are worried that alaskans will become more popular and will make the pure breeds suffer. there are a few races where alaskans can enter in open classes for non pedigree sled dogs but they are few and far between.

to breed a pedigree dog in the UK you have to register the dogs and the kennel name with the kennel club.

so... as we are breeding pure bred siberians we need to register a kennel name with the kennel club. As you might have guessed 'Tanglefoot' is our racing name and that will be our first choice for our kennel breeding name, BUT! you have to put down 3 names as they dont alway allow you your first choice if it has already been registered to someone elses kennel or is too similar to someone elses name for their kennels and dogs.

this is where you come in...

we would like some help in choosing a name for our 2nd and 3rd choice, we wanted a traditional alaskan word or name that we could put forward. either athabascan, yupik, inuit or some traditional name or word that has some meaning for you guys, maybe to do with dogs or mushing or maybe just a word or name that will sound good for our kennel name and the dogs, if it is chosen by the kennel club, and bring us all the luck and beauty of alaska.

i wondered if the students of the BSSD project could help us out?

we will, in return, if it is chosen by the kennel club, send out something as a thank you from us in the uk to the person who suggested it. their idea and kennel name will go down in history and the record books with the kennel club and cannot be changed or used by anyone else and will become the name of our kennels. any dogs we breed or are bred from them will have that name recorded as well in the kennel club register of dogs.

also when the litter is born we would like you guys to help by suggesting the kennel names of the dogs that are born. its a ways off with the litter being produced as we need the kennel name first and vet checks on the bitch we are going to use. she has to have her hips and eyes tested and if they are clear we can use her for breeding. she is a lead dog and runs in the team with us. she has been on our team this year winning 5 races and placing 2nd in two others, out of the 7 races we have run in this season, so she is fast, strong and good worker and an up and comming lead dog.

as for the dogs 'pet' names we wanted to use the names of famous mushers, so for boys we would use buser, mackey, seavy, boulding, king etc and girls, dee dee, aliy, susan, linda etc, they could be changed by any new owners of the dogs in the future if we sell some of the puppies, but the kennel names are those names registered at birth with the dogs,and they will go into the bloodline histories and will be forever known by that name.

so...

for example Lolly, the bitch we are using, is called 'SHABELSKAS BLAZE OF GLORY' as her kennel name
and 'LOLLY' as her pet name.

i'll post a picture of her for you all to see.

so would like some help from you guys with choosing

1. the name of the kennel i.e the 'shabelskas' bit,

2. the dogs 'kennel name' as in the 'blaze of glory' bit

once they are born, the winners will have the dogs named after their choice and we might have to choose a puppy to name after you as well!

i hope you can help us all the way over in england in the uk and we really look forward to hearing any suggestions you might have. we have about 1 month till we have to regsiter the kennel name and then the dogs name will be registered once they are born in the fall/winter.

thank you everyone i hope all the above makes sense and we havnt confused you all, im sure john or damon can help explain to you if you ask them nicely! :)

best wishes

Matt and Ems

tanglefoot sled dog racing team England UK

p.s. if anyone meets her on your reports for iditarod, Kim Franklin and UK musher we race with in the UK is running to nome this year! shes a nice lady and will i suspect be happy to talk to you. she races horses in the uk as well as sled dogs!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Re: can you help guys? kennel names

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:50 am

us racing with three dogs, lolly is in wheel, the smaller dog on the right of the picture

tangles_team.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tanglefoot

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:53 am

DCP_0024.JPG

Lolly the mum

DCP_0005_1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tanglefoot

Postby fladogfan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:50 pm

I wonder, if there is a word for tanglefoot or tangled feet???? :lol:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:05 pm

there is but its kinda strange and two seporat words, ive looked it up in an online inupiat dictionary! cant remember what it is tho
tanglefoot

Postby fladogfan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:09 pm

Bet the kids will find it for you.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby skyana02 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:16 pm

Hi There! My name is Candy Pete, I'm a Community Health Aide from Naknek, Ak. Originally from Stebbins,Alaska...formally Bering Straits School district. Damon Hargraves was just asking me about a Yup'ik word for Tangled Feet. I have to do some thinking but I do have one that I think would go great, being since you have a sled dog team and dogs that pull sled do need snow, I thought Qanikcaq, meaning: Snow on the ground .Would be great for your kennel. I can only imagine what all dogs think after running on dry land pulling a wagon or a cart on dirt roads," I wish we were in Alaska or at least a place where we had snow to pull a real sled and a nice cool place!" So, thats where I came to think of the word Qanikcaq! Pronounced, Q-wa-ni-chwack! I hope I pronounced it easily enough for you. Take Care and God Bless.

Candy Pete
Naknek,Alaska
skyana02

Skype ID: skyana2002

Postby AlaskaTeacher » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:01 am

Hi!!!! We are a Social Studies class in Shishmaref, Alaska, home of mushing legend Herbie Nayokpuk. Here are our ideas for some names:

-Herbie
-Cannonball (That was Herbie's nickname, and he always introduced himself as Cannonball :) )
-Nanuq (Inupiaq for polar bear)

We will try to think of some more names over the next day or two.
AlaskaTeacher

Skype ID: AlaskaTeacher

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:49 pm

wow some great ideas, love the qanikcaq one and the herbie and cannonball are great names for the pups when they come. i remember him being called the shishmaref cannonball, such a cool nick name! thank you so much for the idea so far keep them coming its so cool to hear you guys from AK comin gup with them and helping us out!!!

do we get some name checks from the kids? im Matt and my girlfriend is Ems. if you want to look up where we live, its in the england, gloucestershire, in the place called the cotswolds, the village is called north cerney.

you might be able to find it on google earth, here is a link to the pub where i live and work, its 400 years old and was used for stage coaches to stop and rest the horses hundreds of years before there were cars!

http://www.bathurstarms.com

matt
tanglefoot

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:53 pm

the guy on the video is james the owner, if you go to the find us button under the logo then you can see a satelite image and can zoom into the village. good luck...do you have a link for your schools?
tanglefoot

Next

Return to IditaProject Video, Images & Audio