New Iditarod National Historic Trail Visitor Guide

This area is perfect for information about the history of the Iditarod Trail, early life and cultural aspects of the villages along the trail ...as well as prior Iditarod races, former mushers, Itidarod records and statistics.

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

New Iditarod National Historic Trail Visitor Guide

Postby kkeeler » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:40 am

New Visitor Guide Hits the Trail
In partnership with the Bureau of Land Management and the Iditarod Historic Trail Alliance, Alaska Geographic has published a new visitor guide on the Iditarod National Historic Trail. Covering the full length of the historic route, this issue was developed to provide information on the historic Iditarod Trail, with special emphasis on segments easily accessible to the public from the road system. Guide includes maps, regional and trail history, and recreational opportunities. Look for yours at the Alaska Public Lands Information Centers, BLM offices, or in visitor centers linked to the historic trail in towns and public land facilities. Or download a free copy from Alaska Geographic at http://www.alaskageographic.org/static/ ... nload-page
kkeeler

Re: New Iditarod National Historic Trail Visitor Guide

Postby Daphne in Alberta » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:41 pm

Not sure where to address this question but History seems as close as any.
It has always been my understanding that the great Iditarod race commemorated transporting the much needed serum to Nome back in 1925. However browsing around in this stuff I find that the actual serum run by dog sled was from Nenana to Nome.
Why is the Iditarod run from Willow to Nome and is the "Serum Run" a race or simply a ceremonial run to commemorate the original feat?
Daphne in Alberta

Postby Johncn » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:05 pm

Hello,

That's a really good question, and although there are others here who are better qualified to answer it, the short version is: common misperception.

The Iditarod Trail was mapped out using parts of many other trails as a route from Seward to Iditarod (the gold rush ghost town) to haul freight, gold and mail back and forth from Southcentral Alaska, and also connected with Nome. The "serum run" did carry much needed serum to Nome, but only partially on the same route. The Iditarod Sled Dog Race was founded by Joe Reddington and others to "commemorate" the Serum Run, but actually used a portion of the Iditarod Trail as its basis.

Hope this helps, and is not confusing.

Regards,

Johncn
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby Daphne in Alberta » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:40 am

Thank you, yes, I think I understand now. Just one more question: Is the Serum Run also a "race" or is it more a non-competetive commemorative run? Can't seem to find the answer to that although I admit I do keep getting sidetracked by Iditarod stuff :)
Daphne in Alberta

Postby akjohnsong » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:20 pm

So I heard that the Rohn checkpoint is a bit different than the others in that all straw, extra food, etc. that cannot be burned has to be flown out. Can anyone help explain why? Thank you.
akjohnsong

Skype ID: akjohnsong

Return to Iditarod Trail History Cache