ASK THE MUSHER Vol 7: Rohn Buser

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: 11/17 ASK THE MUSHER VOL 7: ROHN BUSER

Postby Moose » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi Rohn!

I think I read or heard that you were looking at the 2008 Iditarod as your "one and only". Is that still true, or might we see you out there again some day?

Does your brother have his own Iditarod dreams?

It's several years away, but at least at this point, are your plans to head back to Alaska after graduation?

Thanks, Rohn. It's awfully nice to "meet" you. ;)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Breeze » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:05 pm

Rohn, during the Discovery Channel series, your dad gave some on- screen-yaketiyak time to the need/strategy of separating from you in your rookie race, and leaving you behind when he decided to put the hammer down.

Had you both talked about this before hand? Were you up to speed on that plan? Or was that just Your Dad being emotional while realizing you REALLY REALLY DID GET IT, and he didn't have to worry about you?

Some of us here had you picked for the Rookie of the Year, and watched while that went by the way as you had to drop.

I know you aren't planning on a reprise in 2009, but if you repeated an Iditarod attempt, how would you plan your run to avoid the doggie scours that set many back?

Breeze
Breeze

Postby Heidi » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:29 pm

Welcome Rohn, and thanks for joining us. :)

Of course one never knows what they'll want down the road, but I too was wondering if you had any desire to do the Iditarod again. And sort of along those same lines, what do you want to be when you "grow up" (graduate)?

And 2 questions I've been asking all the mushers:

Where was your favorite checkpoint(s) and why?

If you could choose 5 things (from the mundane to the ridiculous) for every checkpoint to have, what would they be? :D
Heidi

Postby Rohn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:49 pm

Moose,
The 2008 race is supposed to be my one and only Iditarod, and I won't be running again anytime soon, but who knows?

My brother would like to run, but in order to he would have had to take a break between high school and college, since his birthday is March 21.

After school I plan on living in Alaska

Breeze,
We talked about our strategy before the race and the plan had always been to split up around the halfway point, where my dad started to make his move. My dad wanted to try a new strategy of coming from further back, rather than trying to stay out front for the entire race.

Rookie of the Year would be nice, but my main goal from the beginning was always just to finish.

Heidi,
When I graduate college I would like to go to medical school, I am interested in becoming an anesthesiologist.

The checkpoint wherever I was was my favorite one at that point on the race.

It would be nice if every checkpoint had hot water, but other than that I would say the checkpoints are great.
Rohn

Postby boo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:16 pm

I like the checkpoint attitude.....kind of translates to all of life, eh? Sort of off-topic, but what turned your interest to medicine and anesthesiology in particular? Aside from the fact you don't have to chit chat with your patients :D Thanks for joining us here....hope you aren't neglecting homework for us crazies...
boo
boo

Postby Heidi » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:43 pm

boo wrote:hope you aren't neglecting homework for us crazies...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I agree with Boo, great attitude to have on the trail - and in life.

Which other mushers (besides those related by blood, LOL) have you learned from the most?

I guess it's not too much longer until you'll be going home for Christmas?? :)
Heidi

Postby Rohn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:24 pm

boo,
I became interested in anesthesia because it is interesting to think of being able to make someone's body almost totally shut down, then bring them back.

Heidi,
I think everything, or pretty close to everything I know about dog mushing has been taught to me by my dad or discovered on my own. I don't get off school for Christmas until the middle of December, but I'm excited to go home for Thanksgiving.
Rohn

Postby boo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:32 pm

Being in control of one human but many systems.....not so different from keeping a dog team going, huh? Shut 'em down good enough and long enough to be able to fire it up again full strength. My dad had a custom injectible combination he used on small animals that was almost flawless.....Rompun and Keetaset (probably spelled wrong) but it would make them vomit when they were still largely awake so no aspiration, and it was a good solid anesthesia.....except on ferrets. They were so weird, you could dose them for their weight and they'd just stare at you, like "That's the best you've got???" My current vet has heard of Dad's combo, but nobody does it anymore.....probably too many fears of lawsuits, so everyone is tubed like humans. So what are you studying now and what would your undergrad degree be in?

BTW, just wanted to thank you and your whole family for what you have given to Iditarod and to our sport. Hosting the rookie meeting every year and being so transparent and honest with rookies means so much. Opening up your house, your run/rest schedules, your supply lists and the kennel shows people how a musher should be....professional. Like any other profession, do your best at any given moment and you won't go far wrong. Thank you, Busers (and Chapotons) one and all! Having been through two rookie meeting routines, spending time at your place was the highlight, for sure!
boo
boo

Postby Rohn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:50 pm

Right now I am taking Calculus, Chemistry, Physics, and a Social Science class, my intended major is Biochemistry.

Thanks, I'm glad we host one of the rookie meetings because I didn't have to wake up early that day :P
Rohn

Postby emwcee » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:09 pm

Rohn,

Did you go to public school for all your years of education or were you homeschooled part of the time? If you were homeschooled, who did most of the teaching--your mom or your dad?
emwcee

PreviousNext

Return to Archive