Forum Questions Answered

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Forum Questions Answered

Postby aren » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:34 pm

Thank Di, Thumbs up to you and the other moderators for doing a marvelous job 8-) :D :D :D
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Heidi » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:16 pm

fdf wants to know how to start a poll, so I'm putting the instructions here.

1. Click on New Topic

**The following you can do in any order.

2. In the subject line put "Poll: [your question]" Note: Leave off the brackets and quotation marks

3. Scroll down and click Poll creation (it's in the light blue-shaded section)

4. You can put the same question that you entered in the subject line where it says Poll questions

5. Under poll options just list each answer choice on a separate line. You can enter up to 10 choices (or options as they call them).

6. Where it says Options per user decide how many options people can select. This is generally one.

7. Where it says Run poll for decide how many days you want the poll to run

8. Then click the box at the bottom where it says Allow re-voting if you want to permit people to change their vote.

9. In the big box where you normally write your posts, you can give a few more details about your poll if you like.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them. :)
Heidi

Postby Heidi » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:26 pm

Where are the past "Ask the Musher" segments?

They are stickied in the "FOLLOW THAT MUSHER" forum here: http://mushing.bssd.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

Vol 1: Karen Ramstead
Vol 2: Rick Holt
Vol 3: Paul Gebhardt
Vol 4: Team Norway (Bjornar Andersen, Kjetil Backen and Robert Sorlie)
Vol 5: Ken Anderson
Vol 6: Rachael Scdoris
Vol 7: Rohn Buser
Vol 8: Dee Dee Jonrowe
Vol 9: Lance Mackey
Vol 10: Mitch Seavey
Vol 11: Ed Iten
Vol 12: Jeff King
Vol 13: Mike Jayne
Vol 14: Brent Sass
Vol 15: Hugh Neff
Vol 16: Martin Buser
Heidi

Postby Heidi » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:47 am

Instructions for uploading photos from your computer

1) Start a new thread or click on "post reply" if you're adding pictures to an established thread.

2) Scroll down below the 'message box' and click on "upload attachment"

3) Click on the little box that says "browse". A new window will open up.

4) In that new window, go to your pictures and click on the selected picture and click "open". (That window will then close.)

5) Click "add the file" (it's next to the 'browse' box)

6) Click "place inline" (it's below the 'message box')

7) You can explain your photo in the "file comment" box (your explanation will appear attached at the bottom of your picture), but most people prefer to explain pictures in their post. If you choose to do it this way, you'll probably want the explanation to appear above your picture, so write your explanation above the 'attachment brackets' (that's your picture) in the 'message box'.

8) To verify you did everything correctly, click on "preview" before finally clicking "submit". But if you make a mistake you don't catch at first, remember you can edit your post by clicking on "edit" or if your prefer to start over from scratch, you can delete the entire post by clicking on the red "X" inside your post.

To add multiple pictures in a single post

To do this, leave a space or two under the 'attachment brackets' of your first/last picture and start this procedure over at step 2.

***IMPORTANT: When you get to step 6 again (clicking on "place inline"), it's important to note the most current picture being added is listed at the TOP of the list of attachments. It's very easy to make the mistake of clicking on the bottom one in the list and not the top. (I know, I've made this mistake. Then you end up with the same picture being posted twice.)

My picture(s) look huge! What do I do?

This gets a little more complicated because we all have various programs on our computers for resizing photos. If you prefer, I can do it for you. In this case, go ahead and post your pictures as they are and then send me a pm and let me know which thread the pictures are in. I will resize them as soon as I can.

If you have Windows Vista (this might also work for other versions of Windows): Right-click on any photo on your computer, and then in the drop-down list click on "open with" and you'll see a list of the programs that are on your computer for altering photos. You can then use Google to search for information on how to use those programs.

If you have an idea how I can make these instructions clearer or if I left something out, please pm me. ;) :D Thanks!
Heidi

Postby Heidi » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:46 am

Where/what are the rules for the Top Ten Picks contest?

http://mushing.bssd.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1109
Heidi

Postby merrippa » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:52 am

I can't seem to get any of the web cams to work they keep asking for name and password???? I can get the one from Nome but not any from siteproxy. What am I not doing??? a computer challenged fan :?:
merrippa

Postby Heidi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:52 pm

merrippa wrote:I can't seem to get any of the web cams to work they keep asking for name and password???? I can get the one from Nome but not any from siteproxy. What am I not doing??? a computer challenged fan :?:

I just saw this merrippa, sorry. I don't understand why you are being asked for a name and password.

The ustream chat room you do need to register for, but you should be able to pull up all the other webcams without having to submit any information. When you go here http://siteproxy.bssd.org/ are you clicking on "Admin"? (That will require a name and password.) Instead, you want to click on "Video" for each webcam listed.

Are you still having problems?
Heidi

Postby DustMusher » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:25 am

I missed the Start Party ---- couldn't find where it was.

Do you have a link to the chat room most are using. PLEASE?
New computer and have all my links hiding somewhere in half a terabite of disk space. :(

Thanks
DM
And I will be your guide beneath these Northern Lights
And you will be my shadow on the snow.
Husky's Code by Kyf Brewer
DustMusher

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:51 am

Hey Dust, We missed you. Look in the announcements area( above this thread) It's the second area down, just under MelanieGouldFanBrian's listing of books, movies, etc. It gives various options to get into chat. I have to use the one for cut off window. Good luck. Let us know if it doesn't work.

Edit to add:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1476
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Crystal » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:23 am

When do the Mushers draw bib numbers ????? and Thanks
Crystal

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk