Yukon Quest Snippets and Links

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Yukon Quest Snippets and Links

Postby libby the lab » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:17 am

As Jodi Bailey mentioned in her recent arm chair post, the handlers must travel approx 1050 miles to get from Dawson City to Circle. That is similar distance as for me to drive from Kansas City to New York City! The mushers get to a more direct line of 294 miles!
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby fladogfan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:50 pm

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and insights with us elsietee.

I'm sorry Lisbet scratched, from what I've read she did the right thing.
Lisbet impressed me by her keeping on going even when she was so far behind. Hope to cheer her on in future races.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby elsietee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:10 pm

Nice statement from Lisbet's Kennel:

Team Anadyr has decided to scratch from the 2019 Yukon Quest. We believe wholeheartedly this is the best decision for the dogs. The team did AWESOME — they are all healthy and happy, honest and inspiring. But slow. It became apparent from the start the dogs were not properly prepared for the speed and rigors of the trail. My pre-race concern that the dogs were undertrained was validated by slower than normal travel speeds. I want to emphasize these are NOT slow dogs — several have competed in open class sprint races! The fault lies solely with their musher and training (or lack thereof). It has been a real challenge to balance operating my business and training. It’s disappointing to not finish something we worked so hard for, but those feelings are trumped by the knowledge I did right by the dogs. They don’t care about a finish line in Fairbanks; they just want to have fun !

We are happy and proud to end our race in beautiful Dawson City and want to extend a huge thank you to the volunteers and fans who showed up to welcome us in; it was overwhelming. Thanks to the race judges along the trail, especially to Amy and Donna, who were encouraging the entire way. My decision to scratch was in no way influenced by the race — the Yukon Quest organization has been nothing but honest and supportive. Thank you friends and fans for cheering us down the trail - I look forward to reading your comments in the coming days.

Extra big thanks to handlers Nils & Sarah. My biggest regret is not getting to fully use the beautiful shelter they worked so hard to construct ! (We moved the dogs to the truck so they could be with us at our hotel)

Overall, we had a ton of fun on the trail and are looking forward to coming back with a better conditioned dog team !

She did good.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:53 pm

Latest "run/rest" stats gleaned from peering at the trackers.

Looks like that trail from Trout creek > Slavens > Circle was slow going for everyone. Brent ran shortest (8), with Paige taking a little longer, and Hans/Michelle taking an extra 30 mins. Once at Slavens, Allen and Brent took the same 5 hour rest (Brent's advantage at this point, because he can see how long Allen rested and how his dogs look leaving), but Allen took an extra hour to get to Circle (breaking trail?). Equally, Hans and Michelle have paired off and are shadowing each other - taking the same run and rest times (again, Michelle's advantage - she can see what Hans is doing). Paige is ran slightly faster and rested maybe 30 mins less than those two at Slavens, so in theory, she might have made ~45 mins on them. Coming into Circle - watch to see how her arrival times look. She left Slavens ~3:10 after Hans/Michelle, so watch to see how long she takes. Her scheduled arrival should be ~3pm-3:10pm, so anything over/under that indicates time she gained/lost on them on this leg.

Allen:
Run from [between Trout Creek and Slaven's cabin] to Slaven's Cabin (43 miles): 7
Rest - Slavens: 5
Run Slavens to Circle (54 miles): 8.5

Brent:
Rest - Trout Creek: 4
Run Trout Creek to Slavens (58 miles): 8
Rest - Slavens: 5
Run Slavens to Circle: 7.5

Hans:
Run Trout Creek to Slavens (58 miles): 8.5
Rest - Slavens: 6

Michelle:
Run Trout Creek to Slavens (58 miles): 8.5
Rest - Slavens: 6

Paige:
Rest - Trout Creek: 5
Run Trout Creek to Slavens (58 miles): 8+
Rest - Slavens: 5.5
Run to Circle

Matt:
Rest - Trout Creek: 4
Run Trout Creek to Slavens (58 miles): 9
Rest - Slavens: 4
Run to Circle

It would appear that Denis is holding his own against Ryne - she rested a little shorter, but then ran longer and had to rest longer as a result, and then took longer again on the next run. Maybe the conditions have changed (Ryne is 3+ hours behind Denis), but watch for how long she rests at Slaven's and how long her resulting run from there to Circle turns out.

Dennis:
Rest - Eagle: 6+
Run Eagle to Trout Creek (40 miles): 5.5
Rest Trout Creek: 4.5
Run Trout Creek to Slavens: 8.5
Rest Slavens: 5+
Run to Circle

Ryne:
Rest - Eagle: 4+
Run Eagle to Trout Creek (40 miles): 6.5
Rest Trout Creek: 6
Run Trout Creek to Slavens: 9
Rest Slavens
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:53 pm

Following his slower journey from Slaven's to Circle, Allen opted to rest an extra hour there (for 5 hours total), and Brent went out an hour ahead of him (after he rested 4 hours) - maybe Allen would like Brent to break trail for a bit? Such a fine balance between getting the dogs the rest they need and keeping their speed up, while trying to cut everything as close as you can. Very difficult to do.

Remember that Birch Creek was where Brent had problems with two of his dogs two years ago, causing him to ultimately scratch and subsequently take a year off to regroup. I think the step back and break has served him well.

Paige arrived right on time at 3 pm, so nothing lost or gained (maybe a little on Hans?).
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:57 pm

From SP Kennel:

Allen said the dogs are doing great. They had some difficulty finding the trail to Slaven’s as it was blown-in so his lead was cut a bit because of that. But, the dogs are moving nicely, eating really well and have great attitudes.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:07 pm

From YQ FB:

Hans Gatt arrived in Circle at 11:47 this morning with a team of 10 after dropping three at Slaven's Dog Drop. Michelle Phillips came tearing into the checkpoint just over 10 minutes later at 11:59 with 11 on the line after dropping one at Slaven's.

Paige also dropped a dog at Slaven's (sounds like that trail was pretty tough).

Brent still has 14 dogs, while Allen has just dropped one at Dawson:
from SPK
Allen left Ironman with us – coming in to Dawson on Monday night Iron had a hitch in his get-along on the back leg / groin area and although Bridgett, Karolyn and Aliy worked on it for 36 hours, massaging and stretching, we ran out of time to get it back to rights. He won’t take long to recover but as Allen said “If I have to think about it at all then it’s a no”.

It was a very conservative ‘drop’ but it is not worth taking him knowing he is not quite right and risk turning it into a major injury. Iron helped the team for 500 miles, he enjoyed the Dog Camp experience and is no longer a Yukon Quest rookie! He will join his YQ200 buddies and head back to the kennel with us in the truck.
elsietee

Postby mira » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:20 am

Thank you so much elsietee!

Regarding the computation of run times between Dawson and Eagle I think you did a small error (subtracting instead of adding), but it really doesn't matter because you did it for all of them. I mean, we are interesting in the difference between the musher, not really if they use 22 or 23 hours. And the excellent list of run/rest is correct, if you sum them you'll see they are correct.

When the change time zone, you subtract one hour, but then we have to add one hour to their traveling time.
Total time from Dawson into Eagle:
Allen Moore - 23:42
Michelle Phillips - 24:43
Brent Sass - 25:11
Hans Gatt - 24:52
Paige Drobny - 26:54
Matt Hall - 25:2
Denis Tremblay - 27:34
Ryne Olson - 26:53

Anyhow, i'm late to the party. Thank you for all your excellent analysis, life sort of got in the way for me this year, so it's great with someone who makes it easy to catch up.
mira

Postby mira » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:36 am

Brent Sass has stopped for 1.5 hour at mile 747.

Allen's tracker hasn't updated for 50 minutes at mile 737, Hans' 1.5 hour at mile 729. Michelle also, a couple of miles behind Hans.

I also found this numbers interesting, they are from the trackers so I guess they measure rest/run according to the tracker signals.

Allen:
Moving Time 3:20:26
Stopped Time 3:14:56
Moving Average Speed 8.0 mph

Brent:
Moving Time 3:16:43
Stopped Time 3:20:40
Moving Average Speed 8.4 mph

Hans:
Moving Time 3:13:38
Stopped Time 3:22:09
Moving Average Speed 8.5 mph

Michelle:
Moving Time 3:14:52
Stopped Time 3:21:22
Moving Average Speed 8.4 mph

Paige:
Moving Time 4:04:53
Stopped Time 3:07:20
Moving Average Speed 7.1 mph
mira

Postby Mushkraut » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:51 am

Hans Gatt has set a new speed record on the Yukon Quest! :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mushkraut

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk