Wheeeo

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Wheeeo

Postby Breeze » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:19 pm

I was shooting the breeze with my husband this afternoon about " Iditatod Week" online and. like it or not...some of us go back 24-25+ years online with each other.

Subscriber internet access didn't arrive in Bethel Maine until 1995, and my employer at the time was a very early customer of nxi.com, which was the only server. That is how I was introduced to the internet, and I fetched up to the Cabela's Iditarod forum within the first few nights of "playtime" ( which was overnight front desk at a skier motel in Winter).

So, if anyone gets goosebumps from reading " retired is a beautiful word", I'll just say relax and wait your turn, it will come one he// of a lot faster than you think.

Just like Jim Lanier, you, too, will still be able to enjoy this camaraderie and be here with others no matter how many birthdays you ignore.
Breeze

Postby JeanieB » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:09 pm

Hey, DogDude, always brings up good memories when you join us! From the Cabela's note Heidi posted, I must have started that year, too, though I was thinking it was 1998. So many long term REAL friendships have begun here! I have actually met and visited 9 of the buds I first met on Cabela's forum, some while volunteering with the Iditarod and Quest, some while vacationing near their homes. All that friendship, adventure, and dog sledding addiction started with a click on Cabela's website looking for a new sleeping bag!
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby DogDude » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:50 pm

Amazing! With all of you guys together, it's just like the old days. It's so good to see so many of you still following the race.
Too bad we can't turn the clock back, for lots of reasons.
It's really exciting to see Aliy Zirkel out front. I'd love to see her win.

FR, alias DD
DogDude

Postby JeanieB » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:21 am

Yes, it would be awesome to see Ally win. It'll be tough; the bounds are on her tail!
"When women reach a certain age, they begin to collect dogs. This is known as "Many - Paws""
JeanieB

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:17 am

And all those hounds have already taken their 24s. Except Martin.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby klmobile » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:19 pm

Nice to see you check in DD.
Hope you're enjoying retirement, I'm still learning the ropes.
One of the things I remember about the old Cabelas chat, is the poems, songs, limericks and such, people would come up with.
So I'm going to give it a try for ole time sake.

There is a musher named Nic
His run to Iditarod was quite quick
now to the Yukon for some wine and cheese
Then on to Nome... First if you please!
Don't Buy Cheap work Boots!!
klmobile

Postby flowerpower » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Ha! Good one KL! Yes, back in the days when we just had to sit around and F5 constantly. I kinda miss the old days and ways sometimes. :)
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby fladogfan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:31 pm

Good one KL
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Di* » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:59 pm

Excellent KL!~! I know there is a thread somewhere that was totally devoted to poems/limericks etc! Need to publish it on that thread too if you can find it!
Dogs...What they lack in manners, they make up for in Sincerity!
Di*

Postby Alaska61 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:25 pm

Retired and loving every second of it
Alaska61

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk