Togo Movie

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Togo Movie

Postby emwcee » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:07 am

Just finished watching the movie "Togo." I signed up for the free trial of Disney Plus so I could watch the movie and then promptly cancelled my subscription after I'd seen it. Great movie. I kept wondering which shots were Dafoe and which shots were Martin Buser. I had to watch the credits twice to spot Martin's name. I thought he would be listed at the end but he is listed up with the actors. One interesting observation about the movie was that there was no mention of Seppala's daughter, Sigrid. Also, I think they modified the ending some. But altogether a great movie. So glad to see Togo and Seppala finally getting some recognition.
emwcee

Re: Togo Movie

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:45 am

Amazing movie and i must admit, i shed a tear. We have sepp lines in the patchettes litter. Love the working temperament they have and to think, Togo might be in there somewhere! Would explain their spirit and naughty streeks lol
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Moose » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:48 pm

Totally LOVED the movie. The scenery is amazing. The drama heart-stopping. The dogs beautiful. Togo an adorable little rascal who came into his own. Highly recommend it.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Leaddog » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:03 pm

Actually, not terribly hard to figure out when it was Martin and when it was Willem Dafoe when you remember that Willem Dafoe is 64 yrs old and had never driven a dog team before meeting Martin on the set. Thus, pretty much any scene in which the dog team is moving at more than a trot likely has Martin actually driving the sled. And although Dafoe did a decent job of learning how to drive a sled, he didn't get enough practice to really move smoothly with the sled so if you watch closely, you can see two different styles: one that is somewhat stiff (Dafoe) and one that is smooth and looks like he's been doing it for nearly 4 decades (Buser).
The scenery was pretty amazing, but in many instances it wasn't terribly accurate if you are familiar with far western Alaska. But there was accuracy where it counted - the first time I watched it and heard the ice booming as Seppala starts across Norton Sound on the way to Shaktoolik, I got goose bumps. If you've never heard that before, it is totally spooky - even more so when you learn what it means: when the Norton Sound ice starts to break up, it goes out FAST. I recall playing a round of minigolf on it in Nome during one of the Iditarod finishes one evening, and when I woke up the following morning, there was nothing but seawater as far as the eye could see.
Leaddog

Postby txbennett » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:04 pm

Thanks for your take on this Leaddog. Check in more often.
txbennett

Postby fladogfan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:54 am

I need to see the movie again with this info in mind.

What tx said, it's good to see you.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby flowerpower » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:37 am

I guess I need to sign up and watch this movie. It's been on my "to do" list. :roll: LeadDog, good to see you, and yes, please check in more often!
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby libby the lab » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:51 pm

Hey Dr. Mike! Somehow I missed checking this thread until today :oops:
Here is some behind the scenes footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsRi4Va ... j_9T1WJrq4
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Return to Mushing Talk