ASK THE MUSHER VOL 16: Martin Buser

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER VOL 16: Martin Buser! (3/28-4/4)

Postby Buser » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:28 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Hey there, Martin and Kathy! May I offer a belated welcome to the message board?

First off, my condolences on a difficult Irod this year - 2010 will be probably much better - for one thing, the weather can’t be *that* awful two years in a row. I do have a couple questions that nobody’s asked yet, too, so here goes:

#1: If someone wanted to become a kennel helper, what qualifications and attributes must they have in order to be considered? I’m sure it’s a position that entails much responsibility. (My friends have asked me why I’ve never looked for work as a helper, and I tell them “I’m not qualified,” but I want to be certain.)

#2: I know this is an extremely nosy question, but…several posts ago, it was mentioned that the purse decrease (paired with unexpectedly low placing) really has had an impact for the both of you. Is there anything that us here on the forum can do to lend a hand to ease the possible financial strain on y'all? (It’s OK if the answer’s “no”; I’m sure I’m not the only person here who’s wondered it, however, just the only one with enough chutzpah to ask.)

Thanks,
Holly.

1. Our kennel helpers do end up with quite a bit of responsibility. We work to entrust them with training dogs. They have to do a lot of poop scooping so I want them to get a chance with the fun stuff - being on the runners. We look for someone with a strong work ethic. Someone who takes initiative to do what needs to be done. We need someone who is flexible and strong and can work under hectic conditions. But most of all, we look for a person who loves dogs, likes to pet them, brush them and work with them.

2. I certainly appreciate your compassion about the financial strain. You could encourage folks to come to our kennel tours this summer. I am working to make more motivational speeches so you might recommend us if you know a group that needs a great power point presentation with inspiration related to the Spirit of the Iditarod or Life with Sled Dogs. We know we have to work hard to keep our sponsors, so you might write a note of support to any of those sponsors (found on our website). Thanks!!!
Buser

Postby BB Backer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:53 am

I, for one, can highly recommend the Happy Trails Kennel Tour. As mentioned in my first post, it is a "must see" when traveling to Alaska. I loved every minute of it! :D

You mention how important work ethic is to you.
We look for someone with a strong work ethic.
I know you have a great one. (Must be your Swiss heritage. :-) ) Every year you strive to improve. I remember the 2002 mantra..."From worst to first!" It seemed to really motivate you, and you made it happen. :D Have you thought of a mantra for the 2010 race yet?

Jeff King uses a caboose for resting dogs on the trail. From my limited vantage point, I haven't seen anyone else adopt that idea. What are your thoughts on it?

Finally, I'd like to comment on how much we enjoy your website. My favorite part is when you profile the dogs. I love hearing about their strengths, their personalities, and their quirkiness. :D

Thanks again for sharing your time and expertise. :D

Go Team Buser!!!
When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
BB Backer

Postby fladogfan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:54 pm

Our kennel helpers do end up with quite a bit of responsibility. We work to entrust them with training dogs. They have to do a lot of poop scooping so I want them to get a chance with the fun stuff - being on the runners. We look for someone with a strong work ethic. Someone who takes initiative to do what needs to be done. We need someone who is flexible and strong and can work under hectic conditions. But most of all, we look for a person who loves dogs, likes to pet them, brush them and work with them.

Sounds like fun I would have enjoyed two decades ago. Would enjoy it now but body has a say over mind, and body says "are you out of your ever-loving mind, mind?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone who has stamina and good health and loves dogs should contact a kennel. Well that's MHO anyway. I worked several years at a vet's clinic, it was hard work and I loved it. Working at a kennel where the same dogs are there every day would be wonderful. Contact the kennel of a musher you respect and see what happens.

Thanks for answering our questions, so much info :D :D :D :D :D :!: :!:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Taz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:04 pm

Hi again Martin. My husband Kyle has a question and I am asking because he is staying out in a little hut for a month during calving season here in Wyoming. There is no electricity or anything, he broke his hand trying to keep a cow from killing her calf, and he is dealing with blizzard after blizzard! It is a tough year for him too! But he called on on the cell and I told him you are on here and he wanted me to ask what do you do anything different now while running the Iditarod now that you are a veteran and have won it four times. I guess he meant when you were "hungry" to win the race and newer at it, did you run it differently than you do now? I think that is what he meant.

Also, I have another question. We know about the aspect of the need for dogs to rest during the race, but how much of an impact does the musher's ability to go without sleep affect the race? It seems like a young musher, like a Dallas Seavey for example, would be in his prime to be able to recover and go without sleep. How big of a factor is musher exhaustion? What do you do to try to deal with it besides sleep when you can. Lots of caffeine? It seems like this could play a big factor in the race.

Thank again for your time. I received your DVD and will be watching it tonight. :)

Taz (Dianna)
Taz

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:38 pm

hi martin and kathy, and im sure the boys will get to read this so hi guys!

big buser fan here too, all the way from europe, martin im always encouraged by your up beat positive attitude, your a great role model to so many people. a little thing i do when running my dogs, ( i own and run a small kennel of siberians in the UK - england- ), i have a 'martin' voice that i put on to get the dogs really moving and when we are having a great run. i think after your last iditarod win i was out on our home trails having a great run and for some reason i did an impression of you... i guess i was just having iditarod dreams, anyway the dogs took off and ran superb...for some reason they always pick up when i do it and it gives us all a giggle, so thanks martin :) haha, kinda funny i guess but it works... maybe its the dogs watching all those past iditarod dvds and videos, hearing your voice?

if you could give just one piece of advice to someone regarding running dogs what would it be...

also not sure if its been asked before, but if you didnt run dogs... what would you like to be doing?

thanks so much for taking time out of your busy scheduals and answering our questions, its fantastic to listen to your views, stories and ideas.

i got the dvd a year or so ago, love the free running sections , your office looks amazing more like a museum and trail tours - one day we'll make it over to see it for real - how do the dogs get on with learning to run in the wheel or does it come naturaly?

any plans to come to the UK? we 'd love to see you over here!!

best wishes and thanks for all the inspiration you have given me!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby klmobile » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:39 am

Hi Martin!
Thanks for being here and sharing your experiences with us.
I've followed you from the beginning and first became a fan because you were the young guy.
I was born in 1958 too, so now I root for you because your the old guy :D
So my question is...
How is mushing at 20 compared to mushing at 50?

Thanks for all your answers here and have a great summer!
Kevin
Don't Buy Cheap work Boots!!
klmobile

Postby Buser » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:47 am

BB Backer wrote:I, for one, can highly recommend the Happy Trails Kennel Tour. As mentioned in my first post, it is a "must see" when traveling to Alaska. I loved every minute of it! :D

You mention how important work ethic is to you.
We look for someone with a strong work ethic.
I know you have a great one. (Must be your Swiss heritage. :-) ) Every year you strive to improve. I remember the 2002 mantra..."From worst to first!" It seemed to really motivate you, and you made it happen. :D Have you thought of a mantra for the 2010 race yet?

Jeff King uses a caboose for resting dogs on the trail. From my limited vantage point, I haven't seen anyone else adopt that idea. What are your thoughts on it?

Finally, I'd like to comment on how much we enjoy your website. My favorite part is when you profile the dogs. I love hearing about their strengths, their personalities, and their quirkiness. :D

Thanks again for sharing your time and expertise. :D

Go Team Buser!!!

Several of us have sit down sleds, including Swenson and Jonrowe. We joke that a musher should ahve to do 20 standing up before you can sit down. Some seats are more obvious. Hans Gatt has the old fold down seat. Mostly the caboose is for a seat.

I don't see the benefit of seeing a dog getting bounced around and jostled on a rough trail, unless the dog needs a temporary break and the trail is smooth.
Kathy here - this year Jeff had dogs attached in dog bags to an open platform behind him at the REstart and further along the trail. I wondered how comfortable that might be for dogs.

I love talking about my dogs and could go on and on.
Buser

Postby Buser » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:00 am

Taz wrote:Hi again Martin. My husband Kyle has a question and I am asking because he is staying out in a little hut for a month during calving season here in Wyoming. There is no electricity or anything, he broke his hand trying to keep a cow from killing her calf, and he is dealing with blizzard after blizzard! It is a tough year for him too! But he called on on the cell and I told him you are on here and he wanted me to ask what do you do anything different now while running the Iditarod now that you are a veteran and have won it four times. I guess he meant when you were "hungry" to win the race and newer at it, did you run it differently than you do now? I think that is what he meant.

Also, I have another question. We know about the aspect of the need for dogs to rest during the race, but how much of an impact does the musher's ability to go without sleep affect the race? It seems like a young musher, like a Dallas Seavey for example, would be in his prime to be able to recover and go without sleep. How big of a factor is musher exhaustion? What do you do to try to deal with it besides sleep when you can. Lots of caffeine? It seems like this could play a big factor in the race.

Thank again for your time. I received your DVD and will be watching it tonight. :)

Taz (Dianna)

Sounds like your husband should run Iditarod. He's tough. This is an insightful question. Having been successful affects the way you run the race. When we were sitting in Shaktoolik with the wind raging, the people that stayed back the longest had a cumulative 100 years of Iditarod finishes. Mostly it was the young and hungry racers that took a chance in the weather to realize a dream. I did the same in 1991.

The longer we do the race we wonder if the musher is not the weak link. Sleep is a major factor. Unfortunately, you can't store up or make up sleep, so I use as little caffine as possible since for every up there is a down. I try to be efficient, organized and even keeled, I try not to be the weakest link in the team. Where youth and experience tip the scales is something we all wonder. Average age of Iditarod winners must be late 30's, mid 40's. Would be an interesting calculation to make. With age comes wisdom and insight. But just as much as the motivation when I was younger to finally win, the motivation is just as strong to show that I still have what it takes to win.
Buser

Postby Buser » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:27 am

tanglefoot wrote:hi martin and kathy, and im sure the boys will get to read this so hi guys!

big buser fan here too, all the way from europe, martin im always encouraged by your up beat positive attitude, your a great role model to so many people. a little thing i do when running my dogs, ( i own and run a small kennel of siberians in the UK - england- ), i have a 'martin' voice that i put on to get the dogs really moving and when we are having a great run. i think after your last iditarod win i was out on our home trails having a great run and for some reason i did an impression of you... i guess i was just having iditarod dreams, anyway the dogs took off and ran superb...for some reason they always pick up when i do it and it gives us all a giggle, so thanks martin :) haha, kinda funny i guess but it works... maybe its the dogs watching all those past iditarod dvds and videos, hearing your voice?

if you could give just one piece of advice to someone regarding running dogs what would it be...

also not sure if its been asked before, but if you didnt run dogs... what would you like to be doing?

thanks so much for taking time out of your busy scheduals and answering our questions, its fantastic to listen to your views, stories and ideas.

i got the dvd a year or so ago, love the free running sections , your office looks amazing more like a museum and trail tours - one day we'll make it over to see it for real - how do the dogs get on with learning to run in the wheel or does it come naturaly?

any plans to come to the UK? we 'd love to see you over here!!

best wishes and thanks for all the inspiration you have given me!

One piece of advice: Can't just do one but a key word in dog training is consistency. But philosophically lots of other things come into mind. A major topic I talk to rookies about is driving what's in front of your sled and your sled alone. Meaning you have control over only your team, not someone else's.

I don't really know what I would do otherwise. It is a fascinating event because it is so complicated with so many variables. So you can do it over and over and still feel like you can do it again. The many challenges that every race brings keeps you coming back year after year. In Unalakleet I told a reporter that you can be having a horrible race and want to go home, but you are already thinking I'm not doing this next year or that next year. The race becomes a part of you that you can't really separate out. In many ways, it is who you are.

No plans for coming to the UK but if I you can schedule something, I'd be happy to come there.
Buser

Postby Buser » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:30 am

klmobile wrote:Hi Martin!
Thanks for being here and sharing your experiences with us.
I've followed you from the beginning and first became a fan because you were the young guy.
I was born in 1958 too, so now I root for you because your the old guy :D
So my question is...
How is mushing at 20 compared to mushing at 50?

Thanks for all your answers here and have a great summer!
Kevin

I sort of explained the 20 - 50 thing but stay tuned, you'll find out more in the 2010 Iditarod.
Buser

PreviousNext

Return to Archive