ASK THE MUSHER Vol 1: Karen Ramstead

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: First Installment: Ask the Musher...Karen Ramstead

Postby DustMusher » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:00 am

Karen,

Thank you for taking part in this discussion. This is just so "Karen"!

What would you consider the perfect Siberian to be, and who in you kennel has come the closest to that ideal? (I promise I won't let Kara know what your response is)

DustMusher
aka
BilindaFromTexas
And I will be your guide beneath these Northern Lights
And you will be my shadow on the snow.
Husky's Code by Kyf Brewer
DustMusher

Postby tanglefoot » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:23 am

way to go crunchie!!! :D
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby StarDancer » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:42 am

Hi Karen,
What do you think will be differences in strategy, dog care, gear (and whatever else) between the Iditarod and the AAS? Does the shorter AAS favor a certain type of musher over another type? StarDancer
StarDancer

Postby CynCyn37 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:10 pm

Hi Karen!

I just had time to read all of this and wanted to say....THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for sharing. ;)
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:38 pm

Hey Tangles:
Here's the pic of Karen with the dog paw mitts. A bit blurry, but you get the idea. My cropping skills need work heh? :( Trust me there's another hand with another mitt there on the other side! :D

Brian

Last edited by MelanieGouldFanBrian on Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Postby Di* » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:39 pm

HAAAAHAAA HAAAHAAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:
Those are so funny Karen, thanks for the pic Brian!! Can't look at'em without smiling!! :D :D
Di*

Postby Another UK Fan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:03 pm

Hi Karen. Thanks hugely for doing this.

Love your site and Pretty Sled Dogs gets a lot of viewings in this household :) The way you honoured Snickers is so moving. Both on this years trail and for the future in terms of funded research. And I love the stories about all the dogs - especiallly the one about Kara's new bed :lol:

My question is about handling. What qualities and skills do you look for to make a good handler? What are the differences in handling for a team of Siberians as opposed to Alaskans?

Thanks again
Another UK Fan

Postby northwapiti » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:40 am

My perfect Siberian was NorthWapiti's Grover - hands down the best dog I've ever owned. Moderate, tough, drive to spare. His daughter, Snickers, was working up to his high standards in harness when she passed on and I'm a huge fan of Crunchie (a Grover son) but he doesn't have the same head for lead his Daddy did.
The Professor of NorthWapiti CD, SDU, TT (aka Spud) was another GREAT Siberian.

Don't know that I can name a current dog that stands up to those 2, but I have a number of up and coming dogs that I think have tremendous potential.

The thing about AAS is that the trail is so unknown. I think a 'slugfest' will favor teams like Iten and Mackey - a hard, fast trail (which is very unlikely) will favor King and Linder.
All these guys know how to provide top notch dog care, so I don't think there will be many surprises there. Luck will factor into it alot, as will the trail.
I'm just glad I didn't lay out all that money to be there!!!!

As for handling. Are you speaking about at home in the yard?? I like someone that is motivated, a self starter, wants to learn, and loves dogs.
No, I see no difference in handling Alaskans vs. Siberians.

Karen
northwapiti

Postby Another UK Fan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:37 am

Thanks Karen.

The handling question: it was about handling as in taking dogs to start chute, at the start and at finishes.

I handled for the first time in January for team Tangles (posted earlier) at a sprint race and have been encouraged to continue. I want to do my best for them! It went fine, but I was very aware that sled dogs are not like my pet dogs. This was a team of 3. Can't imagine 16. How do your team respond to volunteer handlers - people they don't know? Does it make any difference in all the excitement? And what are a handler's duties at the start?
Another UK Fan

Postby CynCyn37 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:39 am

This question is sort of off topic, but I figure you are the EXPERT on Siberians.

I saw a website for a mini siberian and fell in LOVE! Do you know anything about them? Are they like Siberians in that they enjoy the cold? (I live in West Texas :cry: ).

Thanks, this is too neat to get to hear from someone who does this. I think you are so brave for doing the Iditarod. I like to be outdoors, but I couldn't be all alone at night! I am not accomplished enough in my survivial skills (I have NONE!)
CynCyn37

Skype ID: CynCyn37

PreviousNext

Return to Archive