ASK THE MUSHER Vol 8: Dee Dee Jonrowe

Here we'll stuff all those things we want to keep for later reading. Like the "Ask the musher"-series.

Suggestions for topics to be moved here are welcome!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ASK THE MUSHER Vol 8: Dee Dee Jonrowe (12/1-12/8)

Postby libby the lab » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:18 am

Dee Dee- This last year was the first year I really followed the iditarod. Lots of late nights on the computer :D . I loved the discovery series and remember you saying something about the last year race being a "building year" for this year. I know you don't want to give away any secrets, but could you expand on what you meant by that statement? Did you have a lot of rookie dogs last year, new equipment or what other things made you think last year would really help you for this year?

I hope to come volunteer at the race in the next few years. I too compete with my dogs, but in a different sport called dockdogs. Dogs are truly amazing athletes!!

Cindy
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby DeeDee » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:06 am

I have seen the dockdog competition explained and I think Mike's little 2 year old yellow lab would really love that. What I was trying to describe was that I was developing the "joy of racing", in my young team. The year before should have been that experience but since I broke my hand between Finger Lake and Rainy Pass all my young dogs never had the growing year learning where the checkpoints were and that arriving on the Bering Sea Coast met the end was in sight; all new experiences that sometimes are scary until they have a pleasant experience with them. The team was easily dominating early in the race. When I saw that i would have to push them harder than they understood to stay with the front on the Yukon I re-evaluated what would be my best option for the long term. I only had 3 dogs in my team that had seen the coast. I dropped 2 dogs on the Yukon and decided that it would be most beneficial for me to get the entire 12 dogs to Nome with a very happy experience alowing 9 previously unraced dogs to experience the "joy". That mostly means they have plenty of rest so it is easy for them to continue to travel fast between checkpoints quickly getting another rest reward. This way I would not ever lose their natural speed and I would be developing their mental toughness. I was behind because I had not done that the year before and had not had a yearling team in the competition either. So I alowed myself the satisfaction of knowing that how I was managing them would pay big dividends this year. I honestly believe it will which makes me that much more excited to hit the race trail. I do not raise alot of dogs, and I grow very attached to the ones I have. It is my intention to be able to race my dogs for their lifetime essentially having them have competitive careers. That requires a different approach to situations than when you have a larger pool of dogs to pull from. When my dogs retire they then begin the next stage of their career - training the young ones and eventually being turned loose and surveying their domain living in the house with the rest of the retired athletes. In 2008 I had Art Church traveling the Iditarod trail with a yearling team in addition to the team I was traveling with. Art had health issues himself and the team only reached Ruby but they has given me more depth to develope than I had previously. It is snowing AGAIN today. It is absolutely beautiful. It looks like we are living inside a CHRISTMAS CARD.
DeeDee

Skype ID: pinkdog

Postby tilstede » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:47 pm

Hi, here's some more questions from Norway :-)

1. The number of mushers in Iditarod have steadily increased during the years you have participated, but seems to drop this year after last year's all time high.
In your opinion and experience; Is there a kind of practical limit which the number should not exceed?

2. Mushing seems to imply a lot of counting and planning. When on your way to Nome, do you do a lot of calculations (miles left till next CP, length of breaks, hours before dawn etc.), or do such things automatically fall into place based on experience?
Last edited by tilstede on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tilstede

Postby ThisSpaceForRent » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:52 pm

DeeDee,

Thanks so much for your candor and insight. Your are truly and inspiration to your fellow mushers and definitely to us, armchair mushers. Your records and stories seem to prover over and over that the MIND can consistently prevail over jsut about anything....YouGoGirl..(not meant to ge sexist in ANY way, what attarcts me the most about long distance sled dog racing it that it allows all (capable) humans to compete w/o regard to than qualification and ability to maintain a healthy team.

I noted your PR firm is in Festus MO...near St Louis...I live just across the river in Illinois...ever come to St louis area? (yes I did see your current appearances on your website). I work for a national Bakery cafe based in St Louis that does some HUGE charity work w/Susan B Kohmnen foundation and other similar throughout the nation...we donate $.25 nation wide for each "Pink Ribbon Bagel" in the month of Octobers, we also are a major sponsor or the "Race for the Cure".....hmmmmm, maybe Your PR guy could contact my guys strike up some sponsorship for you. (i could be the company rep for my side :D ) ...LOL....kinda kidding but you never know) I am sure your agent knows my company.

I wish you the best of luck this year...Thanks for doing "Ask The Musher"

ThisSpaceForRent...daniel williams
Peace,Love and SnowDogsGo...
ThisSpaceForRent

Postby Di* » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:03 pm

DeeDee you mentioned that you lost a lot of upper body strength from the cancer but I'm so in awe of your personal fitness level! :) Since I've never even ridden on a sled before I have no idea how physically demanding it is...does it keep you in shape for the winter months?

Or do you have to start anew with your Ironman training when the mushing season is over?

Do you find time to run year round?

Do you have a special diet/strength training regimen you follow when you are training?

The ever changing weather is always a topic of conversation in my neck of the woods (MN) so I love hearing your weather reports too-I'm ready for that Christmas card snow I think! :) We only have a trace of snow here but it was 9 this morning so we're making nice ice! :)
Di*

Postby DeeDee » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:22 pm

Great questions, Norway - The ITC organization has determined that there IS a limit to what the trail and the logistics of the event can handle. They have tried to balance that with the spirit of the orginal race when Joe Reddington dreamed of an event that the only limits would be your ability to dream it. It takes such a big organization to safely travel accross the state in the middle of winter that just "wanting too" is not enough. I am alittle sad about that especially when money has been one of ways the race has had to use to limit musher's participation. The only aspect of it that I honestly have to respect is the negative impact having hudge numbers of people, dogs, snowmachines, airplanes, and the activity that is this event today, has on the villages. We are guests in their homeland and they deserve the respect of having a say on how many people a year they want to deal with. I personally think 100 is an ok number although the race runs much smoother with about 75 teams. I have experienced the frustration of trying to compete in the ironman triathlon competitions and it is very difficult to even enter. Sometimes they are full within hours and for those that require qualifying performances, it is hard for us who do not live "on the circut", to get qualified,it is almost overwhelming to participate at all. I would hate to see that happen to the Iditarod.
DeeDee

Postby DeeDee » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Ok I just checked back to see what I had forgotten to answer because I have been interupted so much. Yes there IS alot of number crunching and that is another part of the race. I am always working with mileages, hours I have been running, total hours travel to resting in 24 hours, speed at any given time depending on the temp, snow conditions, how to mathmatically adjust my run/rest schedule to take advantage of daylight or not, good camping locations sheltered out of wind. I study all my past experiences coming up with other ways to handle things, carry pre-race determined statistics and mileages that I can refer too and work from. You have to be fluid because the conditions change every year but helps keep you head clear. This one of things I most love about the race is that it is like a mulit-level chess game. I love the different gambles and stragey.
DeeDee

Postby tilstede » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:07 pm

Thank you so much for your answers :-)
One good thing about the Internet coverage of the race, is that we are able to follow the race kind if closely, without needing to be on trail, causing even more planes flying over and snowmachines running along the trail.

WIsh you all the best inMarch, and a nice time preparing for the long run!
tilstede

Postby emwcee » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:00 pm

Dee Dee, I heard you are working on a book about your experiences with breast cancer. Can you tell us more about the book and when it will be available?
emwcee

Postby mithious » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:26 pm

Oh gosh...Thank you soooooo very much for taking time out of your schedule to do this for us :D :D :D I have been thinking and thinking about what on earth I would ask you...I've read your book, followed you, as best I could, since your rookie run, even read an article in...the Christian Reader..I think? I think that was when you still lived in Bethal and your church did your food and put (big print) bible verses in them because you couldn't read yours on the trail when you got very tired....I have been a fan of yours for soooo many years....feels like forever :D :D :D I would stay at a friends house during a race and read anything he had about you and Susan too.

I prayed so hard for you, Mike after the accident....I pray for you all year, but even harder during the race!!!!! You have been such an inspiration for me..I even told my Mom about your church and she told her sunday school class :D :D :D They now pray for you too :D :D :D We started a prayer line for you during your fight with cancer. I am so glad God saw fit to keep you with us..... :D :D :D

By the way, I met Art at the mushers banquet this past racing year when I went outside to walk my service dog...we got chatting and I missed getting your autograph...thought I had time since they were doing the auction...thought it would take longer....I was really bummed I missed you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :(

well...do you still run the dogs on the glacier for touring? If so, is that because it helps, and if not..why?

I can relate with seeing and feeling closer to God in the outdoors. I miss it all so much, especially the racing......Which village is your favorite and why? Do you use cable or rope gangline and why your choice?

I loved your book, I have loved following you all these years....thank you so much for ALL you have given...to this sport, to those of us who believe....I draw great strength from you!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Go DeeDee

edited to add...I miss those old days when you all could stay with the host families too.....there was so much more community then!
Nay, be a Columbus to whole new continents and worlds within you, opening new channels, not of trade, but of thought.
Henry D Thoreau
Happiness depends more on the internal frame of a person's mind than on the externals in the world.
George Washington
mithious

Skype ID: laurie.brown9

PreviousNext

Return to Archive