ROOKIE OF THE YEAR:

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: ROOKIE OF THE YEAR:

Postby asabergamaschi » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:30 pm

i think it's gonna be buser. his dad is pretty good
asabergamaschi

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:38 pm

NO CONTEST: WILLIAM KLEEDEHN
2. Buser

Those who know Kleedehn expect him to TOP 10 or at least top 20.

Mountainmomma, I was all ready to nominate William Kleedehn until I saw and interview with him where he said that he was taking it easy because his team was young and he wanted to set them up for future success in the race. His race history is sooooo impressive (you all should check out his website) but that comment about taking it easy made me change my mind mind. Do you know something that you should share with us? Maybe you have heard the old saying, "when is a musher lying? When his lips are moving." :mrgreen: Do those who know him expect him to do more than "take it easy"? After all he is a veteran of how many Yukon Quests? 6? 8? Maybe his definition of "taking it easy" is different from the usual Iditarod musher. Maybe by taking it easy he means a top 20 rather than a race for the front. Usually when a musher talks about "taking it easy" with a young team in this race they mean back of the pack with their goal being to get the whole team to Nome. Do share what you know because I will change my ROTY in a heartbeat!
mamamia

Postby oddjob » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:02 pm

Hi, I will give my cheers to Molly. Last year Sigrid was ROTY, and Molly seems to have the same story. ;) ;) :D :D
oddjob

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:07 pm

havnt hear dmuch about rick before this year but seems from what i have heard he.s a nice guy how is another newbie dirty jacket renegade who might just sneek up and whoop some arse... had a few emailings with him and am really pleased to see hes doing so well...

come on lad!

GO RICK GO
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:04 am

It looks like the ROTY might come down to a shoot-out between Rohn Buser and William Kleedehn...but Rick Holt could still make his move. Go Rohn! Go William! Go Rick!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Breeze » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:18 pm

it is looking like a shoot-out between Rohn Buser and Bill Kleedehn. Awesome running from both of them! Imagine 2 rookies looking at possible top 20 placements with the huge depth and strength of this year's entrants????

WOW and Mush ON!

Breeze
Breeze

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:32 pm

i think everyone has been having a great race judging by the times. could we have a record for fastest red lantern this year?

rick did say if he got so far and the dogs were feeling good he'd go for it! go rick go!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby tilstede » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:43 pm

My ROTY-pick Benoit Gerard is currently leaving McGrath and is second best out of CP.

His team are made up of John Baker's youngsters, so you might say he is touring theTollef Monson's team (who was Baker's yonstermusher last year).
tilstede

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk