GPS, satelllite navigation, and the Iditarod? Opinions?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

GPS, satelllite navigation, and the Iditarod? Opinions?

Postby Breeze » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:49 pm

( eluciq_kennel) asked for this to be broken out in a separate thread, and I'm happy to open this up for discussion.

Where I live and work, neither cellphone signal nor GPS signal can be depended upon for EITHER routine navigation or routine communication, and are therefore NOT inherently reliable in emergency circumstances for safety, search, or rescue purposes. It does not matter one whit that folks laugh at the max elevations we have in the White Mountains National Forest as being mere foothills compared with other places. The fact is that topography in a large part of northern New England is hostile to theses types of communication. Sight lines are needed to towers, to satellites, and the darn mountains just get in the way.

We have people coming to this area who know/believe in their gut that they have equipped themselves to the max for safety purposes, but sadly find that leaving their retro compass and topo map at home in favor of their battery powered GPS unit was the true bottom line reason they needed rescue.

I have a hard time believing that the interior of Alaska is any different in this regard.

Chime in here, what do you think?

Breeze
Breeze

Re: GPS, satelllite navigation, and the Iditarod? Opinions?

Postby Johncn » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:21 pm

Hey,

The mystery is over. Good or bad...like or not...it's here ;-)

An ADN article today spells out the GPS arrangement for tracking for this year.

Iditarod Enlists Satellites in Tracking Mushers
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/327190.html
It's always been impossible for people to witness the entire length of the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race -- except, of course, for the competitors. Many top contenders like it that way.

But organizers say fans will get the next best experience in the 36th running of the 1,100-mile race, which kicks off with a ceremonial start Saturday in Anchorage. Race buffs around the world will be able to follow the progress of 20 veteran mushers whose sleds are rigged with technology derived from instruments used to track oil-pipeline inspection tools.

Regards,

Johncn
Johncn

Skype ID: Johncn2

Postby Heidi » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:23 pm

Interesting. Hmmm. Hmmm. I guess I need to know more before I form an opinion about this.
Heidi

Postby Moose » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:41 pm

Does anyone know if this will be available generally, or if one must subscribe to Insider?
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby kkeeler » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:14 pm

I've been GPS mapping trails up here in AK with what we call 'resource grade' receivers (as compared to civilian models like Etrex, Garmin's, etc) since the early 90's, and reception has gotten very good since the military turned off their scrambling. So good in fact that unless you need to interface with GIS, post process with differential correction, and/or store large quantities of data that's broken into something that provides attributes for a feature you're mapping, all you need to get by is one of the little handhelds. In fact, Minnesota DNR has written a program for Garmins that is free shareware that allows folks to use their GPS data to interface with GIS systems, and is widely used by resource agencies up here. Where a GPS unit is most useful is navigating to a known position, such as the entrance to Pass Creek, which is the mouth of Rainy Pass. This is the place that a half dozen mushers missed the turnoff and kept heading south toward Hells Gate/Ptarmigan Pass in a ground blizzard. With a GPS you can confirm that you're heading in the correct direction, especially in situations that may be marginal (whether or not a person should be out in it is a different issue!) In any case, the mushers would not be able to use the GPS or refer to it while racing; it's totally inaccessible. I do think it would enhance a viewers experience; I haven't seen if it's an add-on to the Iditarod Insider, but that feature is fantastic and gives one a sense of what's really happening, especially in terms of strategy and competion. On a final GPS note, GPS is similar to a map in the old saying "the map is not the country". Both are just tools, and both have limitations.
kkeeler

Postby Frozen Chosen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:29 pm

Let's separate fact from fiction:

Fact: 2008 Iditarod Rules regarding com/nav devices.

Rule 34 – Two-Way Communication Device, ELT or Satellite Tracking Device: No two-way
communication device shall be allowed unless provided by ITC. Use of any electronic communication or
tracking device shall not be permitted unless provided by the ITC.

My opinion: ITC rules! They've fought every individual/org. that attempts to influence them. Some of the best fights though were with Nome Kennel Club in the early years!

Rule 35 Navigation: Mushers are restricted to the use of traditional forms of navigation. This includes time,
distance as known or measured on a map, speed as is computed with simple arithmetic and direction as
indicated by magnetic compass. Electronic or mechanical devices that measure speed and direction are
prohibited, i.e. Loran, night vision goggles and GPS’.

Fact: 20 mushers will be fitted with a tracking device. Officials at checkpoints will be extra vigilant in making sure mushers do not obtain computer information.

Anch Daily News quote Feb 26, 2008 ed. (same as John's link attached above):

Race personnel equipped with similar devices and working in remote locations will be able to monitor the mushers. Fans will see where the dog teams - symbolized by a tiny person on a sled - are along the trail. Also posted will be speed, direction, altitude and temperature, as well as supplementary musher bios. Fans can choose various views, including three-dimensional and aerial modes, which show past images of the actual terrain. Viewers can zoom in or out.

"For race fans, having that visible ability to track where the teams are in relationship to each other is something that will bring the race to life in a way they just haven't been able to do before," said Stan Hooley, executive director of the Iditarod Trail Committee.

Fiction: Mushers will have this tracking data available, by race officials that is, for use.

Anch. Daily News cont: Iditarod officials said the concerns being voiced are valid and they're instructing checkpoint workers to be extra-vigilant about keeping mushers from tracking information.

(Yeah right).

Well, it's been coming for years, and this just nudges things up closer to THAT day. On the other hand, who's to stop a musher from carrying a palm sized device in a parka pouch? I wouldn't be surprised that it's been in use already. There is no way to stop this progression.

These things are always done in the name of safety (which hardly any of us can argue against); in the name of fairness; or in the name of "improving" something, in this case, improving the fans ability to follow the race.

Anch Daily News (same article) : "For race fans, having that visible ability to track where the teams are in relationship to each other is something that will bring the race to life in a way they just haven't been able to do before," said Stan Hooley, executive director of the Iditarod Trail Committee.

Well, I say they should build a chute to Nome! We have the technology! We have the resources! Build a 15 foot wide, 10 foot high chute (using aluminum U-shaped poles and kevlar or some thick nylon (petroleum based of course so Exxon can make a few more)!! The width has to be enough so a team can pass another, of course.

I take that back, the chute should be built only to NO Man's Land (Between Fort Davis, about 3 miles down the coast from the Burled ARch, and the finish).

We have the technology! Post video cameras and computer stations every mile or so, so the fans can keep track of the progression and also post private messages to the mushers to encourage them when ever one feels like quitting, etc. A bill board will light up whenever a certain musher approaches it (it will "recognize" the musher using bar code), and the fans messages will atomatically load up to cheer em' on!

Frozen
Last edited by Frozen Chosen on Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whaz zup...
Frozen Chosen

Postby Moose » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:52 pm

Speaking not as a competitor, but simply as a race fan, I think the tracking map that the Can-Am folks came up with a few years ago is awesome. Mushers do NOT carry GPS units; their placement on the maps is strickly based on observation, reports from the trail, and best guess. While it isn't exact, it is a lot of fun. One can "watch" the race slowly track in real time as the race is underway, then any number of times in fast-forward. Check out last year's race with the link below. Click on the minus sign before the year 2008 to go back to 2007. Then click on the Track button to see the 30 and 60 mile races.

http://can-am.sjv.net/WebRace/CACFRAME.HTM

The Can-Am starts March 1, too. Here's the home page link in case anyone wants to follow the Iditarod and the three Can-Am races with me. One can't have too many sled dog races to follow. :D

http://can-am.sjv.net/main.htm
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby flowerpower » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:24 pm

I think I agree that this is probably part of the techno boom and can't be avoided, and really shouldn't matter in the outcome. I think Lance is correct on that part ;) . However, I am torn on the other issue of popularizing (is that a real word?) the race. Part of the fun is in the not knowing, the remoteness, the wilderness, and my imagination. Will we see stands set up at each checkpoint with fans waving banners? Tickets being sold for hundreds and thousands of dollars and scalped on ebay? Will I lose the craving to go or participate so avidly in the forum because I can watch it from my recliner in high definition on my big screen tv? I don't know the answer...but to me it is comparable to reading a book versus watching a movie...there are very few times I have had a favorite book made into a movie I really liked. Just musing....
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby Agent874 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:54 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the GPS tracking works.

It does seem that the ITC is taking reasonable steps to prevent mushers from using this for competitive advantage. Based on the race rules, an attempt to sneak into a shack, look over a shoulder, call home to a buddy who's looking at it on a computer, etc to see tracking data would be a clear violation.

Now, if that does happen, let's not blame the ITC for giving race fans a new way to follow the race -- but rather the breakers of the rules. There's a term for that. It's called CHEATING, and Major League Baseball notwithstanding, let's hope that it's not an overall sports trend that will come to the 'Rod as well.

I know some people, perhaps of a more "purist" sentiment, wonder if it's going to diminish the experience. If you're not into it, then don't use it! Some folks like to read articles, some like to look at pictures, some like to watch video, some like to crunch numbers ... And for some people who are more spatially-oriented, being able to follow it on a map will be much more useful than looking at a giant spreadsheet filled with little words and numbers.

As to whether this will attract new fans, I sure hope so. Unless the current fan base starts ponying up more money for memberships, merchandise and such, that's the only way the ITC can get the race onto more solid ground. They're under-funded and understaffed, the race is sustained by great hordes of volunteers (good) because they can't afford to bring more employees on (bad), Buser is asking for a purse increase in exchange for letting the very fans that put the money IN that purse engage with the race, corporate sponsors are fickle and scary when they know they have you by the ... Never mind.

So guess what? That means we're going to see the ITC try new things -- and use them to generate more revenue to improve and stabilize the race we all love. I'm just glad there are some people there with sack to keep the race alive and growing. Because believe it or not, that's why all this newfangled stuff has been coming out in the last couple years -- because they love the race, too.

Now, if they could just manage to do a better job of actually keeping their fans INFORMED as to what they're doing, I'd be feeling great. But the Anchorage Daily News scoops the 'Rod on their OWN STORY about GPS tracking? It's ridiculous that an article shows up in the newspaper -- with quotes from Hooley and St. George -- before the ITC manages to get anything substantive about it up on their own website.
Agent874

Postby kkeeler » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:59 pm

THE MORE THINGS CHANGE, THE MORE THEY STAY THE SAME!

Who'd a guessed that back in 1912 or so there used to be a telephone line from a cabin below (east) of what's now Puntilla Lake (Rainy Pass) checkpoint, to the Mt. Climbers Roadhouse at Pass Creek at the mouth of Rainy Pass, that mushers used to use to get weather reports before heading out into possible whiteouts (like happened in last years race). And that standings for the All AK Sweepstakes back around the same time were regularly phoned in, because much of the trail was followed by phone lines to the gold fields around Council? So what's the diff? If you're a real up to snuff competitor, you've already figured out your average speeds per leg of this race, for every year you've raced it, and you're mostly going to race yourself within the constraints of your team, weather, and maybe some of them other competitors. GPS data is only gonna' give you a minimum of a bit more info than you can already get. Heck, when the trail was originally scouted by the AK Road Commission, they attached a measuring wheel to the a sled and figured it out to the hundredth of a mile (until it broke off north of Rohn)...then they just paced it out....
kkeeler

Next

Return to Mushing Talk