Iditabuddy message from Mith and Spirit

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Iditabuddy message from Mith and Spirit

Postby dilli » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:42 am

Mith asked me to post her explanation of yesterday's unfortunate events on her behalf because she does not have access to a computer. She hopes her message will help to raise awareness and understanding. She hopes sharing her experience will help to prevent unfortunate incidents such as these which she encountered yesterday at the Iditarod ceremonial start from happening to any other persons with disabilities, including persons with disabilities who have assistance service dogs.

Two Iditabuddies, me and Spirit arrived later than intended at the ceremonial start area, but in plenty of time to try to take photos of me and Spirit with the start banner in the distance.

We went to where the end of the fence was on the trail route where the teams turn a sharp right off 4th Ave. The rope wasn't strung up yet. There were 20 - 30 people standing in the snow on the trail itself taking photos of the banner and the snow. Right beside them were 2 police officers.

I had come around the fence to do the same only I didn't go out as far as the snow. I was attempting to talk to two other Iditabuddies about who was going to take the photo (because my camera was malfunctioning) while trying to figure out how to get me and Spirit in the photo with the banner in the background which was two blocks away.

A police officer approached me and told me I was not allowed to have a dog on 4th Ave. I attempted to explain to the police officer that Spirit was my assistance service dog. I tried to show him my public access card which states the federal regulations code which gives chapter, code, part, and section numbers that explain that an assistance service dog is allowed access to ALL areas open to the general public.

The officer stated that he didn't give a damn about the federal law, I was not going to be allowed on HIS damned street. At this point his partner came over and was glaring at me. I tried again to explain, but he cut me off again while I was trying to explain to him that Spirit had been hanging out with Lance Mackey's dogs for several days and that if I even thought there might be a problem I would immediately remove ourselves from such a situation, but he wouldn't let me say that, nor would he look at my card stating the law.

He told me if I did not remove myself from HIS damned street, he would impound Spirit and arrest me for disorderly conduct. I again attempted to talk to him. He again told me to leave immediately or I would be arrested and Spirit would be impounded.

I had every intention of being well behind the rope before it was strung up but was not given that chance. The reason I even wanted to be by the rope barrier was because I wouldn't be able to see anything from my wheelchair because of the high fence.

Also, it was where the trail turned a sharp right off 4th Ave. and I was hoping to get some photos as the mushers went around that sharp corner because all kinds of funky things can happen .. like sleds tipping over. :lol: :lol: :shock: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But since I was ordered to leave, I left in tears with my two Iditabuddies who offered to give up their experience and remove Spirit from 4th Ave. I didn't want to ruin their fun so I told them to go have fun, I will leave and I will call you later. The two Iditabuddies were very concerned for me because this was my dream trip, yet agian, I did not want to have them miss out on their experience.

While I was leaving I overheard the officer say something to his partner about making sure that the other police officers were notified that I was not allowed on 4th Ave with my assistance service dog.

I was able to go way around and snuck back up with another Iditabuddy and watched 4 teams get in line behind the teams that were in the chute. I did not get a chance to watch even one team actually depart the chute.

From the position we had snuck up to, Spirit was in full view of the teams. The teams could see him and he could see the teams. Spirit did not make one sound or any other disturbing behavior, nor did any of the 4 teams that we saw take any notice whatsoever of Spirit.

We then left with an Iditabuddy and attempted to go to Campbell Airstrip. I had recieved an invitation and been given access permission by a BLM director and a musher for a photo shoot with one of the mushers.

I was denied access at the Campbell Airstrip Gate by Roger, an ITC security agent because my assistance service guide dog might cause a fight.

I am now concerned that if I travel all the way to Willow, we will once again be denied access to the restart by ITC security. Hence, I am considering not going because I don't think it's fair to my assistance service dog to force him to be stuck in a parking lot for who knows how long because my Iditabuddies that offered to drive us there are volunteering and will be there for a very extensive length of time.

Thank you to all the Iditabuddies who have helped to get me through this very emotional and disappointing day. I truly appreciate all your help and the extensive lengths you've gone to helping me get through this ... including lending me a kick sled, transporting the kick sled, transporting me and Spirit to and from Willow and all the lengths other Iditabuddies have
gone to in an attempt to resolve this issue.

I love you guys dearly with all my heart.
Last edited by dilli on Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
We've got treats
dilli

Re: Iditabuddy message from Mith

Postby MotorWerk » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:50 am

APD should be sued from here to kingdom come !! #¤&¤%/"Q#¤%/s!!!
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby fladogfan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:24 am

Makes me want to cry, tears of anger and frustation
Gretchen/fdf
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Another UK Fan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:32 am

I just don't understand.

I understand that mistakes can be made. It happens.

But I'm struggling with this because - wasn't there a dog with an Iditarider? In the sled? With red circles around it's eyes to look like a target? That was called Target? It was a live dog, wasn't it? Not a cuddly toy? Or was I tired / hallucinating / just not seeing it right?

If someone could check - and if it was a live dog, then maybe Spirit could be allowed to attend under the same rules that applied to this other dog. Just maybe. I don't know, and am just trying to help.

It's Mother's day here, and my wonderful brood are arriving shortly. Saying a little prayer, Mith, that Mother's day will work out for you and that somehow you and Spirit get admittance today.

Whatever happens, enjoy every bit and let us know! Go girl go! :D
Another UK Fan

Postby klmobile » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:47 am

I can let the stupid Police thing go at the start...it upset me, but The cops are always doing stupid stuff around here.
But to be turned away at The Air field, with a BLM pass, and Musher invites is just cruel...
Thanks For the report Dilli...Tell Mith we all love her :D
Don't Buy Cheap work Boots!!
klmobile

Postby sc-race-fan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:54 am

WOW, I can't hardly believe that a police officer(s) would not know ADA rights and Service Animal functioning. Sounds like a couple of officers wanted a POWER TRIP. The A Police Department certainly needs to hear of the incident.

I'm sure Mith's disapointed and mad, I know I am, but the trips not over and hopefully the restart will wipe away the pain. To read the banquet postings regarding her adventure and all the "friends" outpouring of love still lets me know that good will overcome all the bad feelings. Mith, get back on the runners, the race is not over yet... Mush on. :D :D :D :D :D
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:00 am

Hmmm, adn should be notified - and to a follow up of their Mith-article, focusing on how non-alaskans are greeted by the police...

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby Moose » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:02 am

I just sent a link to this thread to the woman who wrote the article. Felt I needed to do something.

Addendum: Unfortunately, I got an auto reply indicating Melissa DeVaughn is out of the office March 1-16 and referring folks to Craig Medred in her absence. :( Perhaps she's following the race and will be monitoring her email. Sure hope so.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Re: Iditabuddy message from Mith and Spirit

Postby SamAtUnk » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:12 am

I was at Campbell Airstrip and may have seen Mith and never bothered helping. I feel bad. I was with the trail guards (they had the musher info on arrival departures) and there was a lot of police protection as well as BLM officers. What this has taught me is that the Iditarod needs to address the issue of handicap access. I think it would have paid off for Mith to see the paraplegic ex military veteran who was an iditarider with smiles a mile wide at the airstrip.

L
SamAtUnk

Re: Iditabuddy message from Mith and Spirit

Postby tanglefoot » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:32 am

this is horendous, i feel gutted, it make me so mad, i want to contact adn and ITC myself and make sure something is done about this, it is not fair and is discrimination, esp the two police officers, what a bunch of complete W******S!!!! complete T*****ers on a power trip!

i wont do anything unless mith or dilli thinks its ok to but the ITC need to know about this and these guys, for gods sake its a dog race and all the mushers and handlers are all about their dogs. if they have refused to let her enter with a service dog (what about a guide dog for the blind, would they have refused them?) then they must be breaking a law and should be punished or repremanded! this should make some kind of impact on the ITC! i know mith would never ever want to make a scene or bring attention to herself but i just feel so mad that they could get away with it!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Next

Return to Mushing Talk