GB Jones- A Model American but did he Scratch?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

GB Jones- A Model American but did he Scratch?

Postby SamAtUnk » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:08 pm

He had not even been at the restart and everyone was told he had scratched. Sorry if I repeat the question if someone else asked. But I as an American citizen of the Last Great Race wants to know why.
SamAtUnk

Re: GB Jones- A Model American but did he Scratch?

Postby SamAtUnk » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:12 pm

Duh, I went to the Iditarod forum and see that he had a previous illness that prevented him from continuing. I had seen him at the ceremonial start and he looked all pumped up.

I yelled: "GB Jones, all the way to Nome!"

he replied "Thats the spirit that encourages me, thank you"

Hope he is okay
SamAtUnk

Postby mamamia » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:29 pm

There is a clip of him on the Iditarod Insider where he says that a previous illness had prevented him from doing the training necessary to run the race and that it was foolish to go out there unprepared. He informed the officials that he would be scratching after the C. start. It says something about him that he didn't scratch before the C. start! He wanted in on the party! Go-for-it GB! Party on!
mamamia

Postby SamAtUnk » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:33 pm

SamAtUnk

Postby DianneF » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:47 pm

mamamia wrote:There is a clip of him on the Iditarod Insider where he says that a previous illness had prevented him from doing the training necessary to run the race and that it was foolish to go out there unprepared. He informed the officials that he would be scratching afteri the C. start. It says something about him that he didn't scratch before the C. start! He wanted in on the party! Go-for-it GB! Party on!

I wish he had let me know, he messed up our fantasy iditarod league. LOL
DianneF

Postby mamamia » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:01 pm

This from today's ADN

Musher G.B. Jones of Wasilla scratched after the ceremonial start in Anchorage on Saturday due to illness, reducing the record field from 96 to 95 teams.

"The main reason he wanted to go (in Saturday's ceremonial start) was because he had an Iditarider," race marshal Mark Nordman said. "He wanted to give back to the race."

mamamia

Postby Moose » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:03 pm

Oh, GB. How sweet! And, again, I hope the health issues are easily and quickly overcome. God bless.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby MelanieGouldFanBrian » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:45 am

G.B. Is a class act. He wasn't about to let down his Iditarider! :D
That's the kind of thing that makes this sport stand head and shoulders above so many others.

Brian
You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you're lucky you're not."
Dr. Seuss
MelanieGouldFanBrian

Return to Mushing Talk