Temperatures & Trail Conditions

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Temperatures & Trail Conditions

Postby Quadsquad » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:10 pm

I notice a lot of temperature reports off the GPS at 28 to 35 degrees F. That can't be good for the dog's performance or for the long-term condition of the trail. It's really gotta be whacked up by the time 30 or so sleds bash through the soft stuff, then (maybe) it refreezes. Hopefully the temps will drop when they get further into the interior, but it looks like the back of the pack is in for a nasty ride over the early going.

Moderator Edit: Added the "and Trail Conditions" since this seems to be a thread that has developed to cover both.
Quadsquad

Re: Temperatures

Postby Heidi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Quadsquad wrote:I notice a lot of temperature reports off the GPS at 28 to 35 degrees F. That can't be good for the dog's performance or for the long-term condition of the trail. It's really gotta be whacked up by the time 30 or so sleds bash through the soft stuff, then (maybe) it refreezes. Hopefully the temps will drop when they get further into the interior, but it looks like the back of the pack is in for a nasty ride over the early going.

Well said. Yeah, I definitely would not want to be at the back of the pack right now! I'm also wondering how many have lost their GPS thingies by now. The best-laid plans...
Heidi

Postby Di* » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:54 pm

Hey Heidi! :D
Don't think they would lose those GPS boxes, they ride in the sled and are kinda big, saw a pic somewhere along the line but can't remember!
Di*

Postby boo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:01 pm

With these temps, I'm flashing back to 2005....also when Rach went out last. Really warm, huge wallows of sugar snow...ugh!
boo
boo

Postby Heidi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:52 pm

Hey Di! I din't realize they were big clumsy things. I'm kind of behind on the action, but is it true not all the mushers with GPS trackers are showing up anymore? I guess they're not working, or maybe the mushers changed their mind and took an axe to it?? :? :D
Heidi

Postby Heidi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:54 pm

boo wrote:With these temps, I'm flashing back to 2005....also when Rach went out last. Really warm, huge wallows of sugar snow...ugh!

Do you think there'll end up being a big gap this year between the front of the pack and the back? The front pack are in front of the storm and the back pack gets stuck behind it?
Heidi

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:32 am

ITC weather reports a storm coming in on the northern side of the alaskan range, so im guessing as the storm approaches the warm front ahead of it will push temps up, before the drop again.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby luvmy4huskiesn1mal » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:40 am

I know I learn something new every year so here's my start for 2008...
Tangles~
Where do I find the weather reports on the ITC site?
Thanks!

BTW~
Please pass on some ear skritchies to the pups from their "Auntie". Hope you and yours are well. :D
luvmy4huskiesn1mal

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:02 am

hey shelley, its on the iditarod storm ready centre button/link in the right hand side coloum of menu thingymajigs
tanglefoot

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:44 am

Moderate temps with continued chance of snow in the forecast suggest that the early ones through the trail theoretically gain a couple miles per hour in addition being easier on the joints.
CVIB field reporters are delayed on their snowmachine journey enroute to McGrath at the 100 person town of Sleetmute. The journey up the Kuskokwim River thus far has been uneventful discounting a few busted sled hitches and a couple snowmachine swampings.
Break in Crooked Creek
crooked.jpg

The trail from Sleetmute to McGrath is reportedly not so good with deep snow and numerous places of overflow on the Kuskokwim (please, no repeat of KuskoSwim!). There are a couple locals that are leaving Tuesday for McGrath via snowmachine and CVIB will follow them. In the meantime, they have set-up camp and uploaded the few pics from the Sleetmute Community Center. We wish them a safe and efficient journey to McGrath and I am confident they will make it in plenty of time to catch the first arrivers Wednesday.

CVIB Campsite on an island near Sleetmute
campsleet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tanglefoot

Next

Return to Mushing Talk