McGrath Checkpoint #1

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: McGrath Checkpoint #1

Postby aren » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:58 am

I agree Eskil, It is highly unlikely that Paul wil take his mandatory 24 in Takotna. My guess is Ruby. :)

Also be aware of that Paul has bib # 69 :!: , which means that he was actually leading the race at the time he left Mcgrath. :!: :!:
He left 1:30 after Lance and only 30 mins after Kjetil. Due to his bib # he started the race 2:06 after Lance and 54 mins after Kjetil.

aren :)
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby mamamia » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:11 am

Paul is really rockin' this year! I misjudged him when I did my TTP list but it would make me happy to see him win it! He is long overdue. Did you see what Aliy Z said about him on Insider?
mamamia

Postby tilstede » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:13 am

Yes, saw the Alyi-video. She mentionsed another musher too, but don't remember who.

Gebhardt is in pos. 2 in my TT. But he might end up topping the final list!
tilstede

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:50 am

seems jeffs dog in the bag was sat on the tracker and the signal wasnt getting through, hes ditched the caboose and is running with a dog in the bag now so will probably happen again..perhaps hes cottened on to how he can disrupt the signal! hahaha good salem doggie! hahaha
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby tilstede » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:56 am

Wow ... Gebhardt into McGrath at same time as Kjetil, posting 20 per cent less time on trail!!!

... or are they messing the sign in times again?
tilstede

Postby Luna » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:02 am

tilstede wrote:Wow ... Gebhardt into McGrath at same time as Kjetil, posting 20 per cent less time on trail!!!

Looking at time Enroute ti Takotna, you might assume that those in front have been breaking trail. Dont know if its fresh snow or not, but they all improve compared with the person in fron of them.
Luna

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:17 am

think iread a report yesterday about fresh snow forcast for takotna area
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby tilstede » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:41 am

tilstede wrote:Wow ... Gebhardt into Takotna [edit] at same time as Kjetil, posting 20 per cent less time on trail!!!

They are messing ... Gebhardt in to Takotna 3.27, not 2.27
tilstede

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:18 am

Jon Little's comments from McGrath:

"King has said in the past that he likes to remove his dogs’ booties an hour or two before bedding them down so that they can get right on their straw to rest. Running a couple of hours without booties isn’t a bad thing when the trail is as gentle and generally firm as it is between McGrath and Takotna. The move by King signaled a likely pit stop at Takotna, whether it would be six hours or 24 he did not say. But it would seem to me that he figured on a shorter rest. He can leave the dogs alone more quickly so they squeeze a longer nap into a shorter pit stop."

The refinements, the "science" of sled dog racing. 8-)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Di* » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:33 am

Yea Moose, that really shows their mental game is top notch! These guys are so COOL 8-) !
Di*

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk