Mushers' food?

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Mushers' food?

Postby emwcee » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:53 pm

I have a question. A lot of attention is paid to what the dogs eat, but can someone tell me what the mushers eat? What are the special nutritional needs while on the trail? Are there any websites that talk about this? We're working on an Iditarod unit story for a homeschool group, and a friend wanted some information for the health unit.
emwcee

Re: Mushers' food?

Postby Di* » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:56 pm

Read a real good article specifically on that, I'll see if I can find it and post a link to it here.
Di*

Postby Domer » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:59 pm

lots of just about anything and everything. The resourceful musher will have precooked meals that are vacuum sealed so they can drop them in the dog cooker to heat it up. Two birds...one stone. This style of meal opens the door to just about anything that can be frozen. It can get quite gourmet if you have the time (and a good cook) before hand to prepare.
Domer

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:20 pm

Someone (Gebhardt, maybe?) packs lots and lots of Twinkies. But don't tell the kids that. :D :D Evidently they're quick to eat because they don't freeze. What that says about Twinkies, I'm not sure.

Also, somewhere it's reported that Sigrid packs Ben & Jerry's ice cream and that she was disappointed to see that the high temps this year caused it to melt in her sled bag.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby MotorWerk » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:20 pm

I have a picture of Sigrid Ekran shopping. She likes Snickers :D
-exit body, exit mind-

""It's a mathematical certainty that somewhere among all the millions of stars, there is another planet where they speak Norwegian""
MotorWerk

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:34 pm

there was some video somewhere day back of someone packing a snack bag on their sled..it had twinkies, snickers bars, diet coke....and a can of coors light beer!!!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:36 pm

I know Harald Tunheim has a speciality of his own :D He, or his wife, makes home made pizzas and then put them in the freezer. Whenever he races he brings some of it, and then put a slice or two (in plastic bags, ofcourse) inside his jacket and let them thaw while he mushes. Then he has half warm, delicious pizza right there standing on his sled. Cool idea?? I think so. I love pizza :D :D

Eskil
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:39 pm

Where's Boo? Where's Tiffany? They could tell us what their mushers pack.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby tanglefoot » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:40 pm

boo flew out in the wee dark hours for a holiday somewhere hot
not sure on tiff
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:41 pm

Yeah, I think Boo was going on a Hawaiian dive trip! Too bad. Don't tell her hubby, but I suspect her heart was not totally in it. ;)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Next

Return to Mushing Talk