MARTIN the Jokester

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: MARTIN the Jokester

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:47 am

MR B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby aren » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:53 am

Who else would think of something like that. Great pic and a great guy :lol: :lol: :lol:
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:54 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Mr. Martin chillin at Cripple-AWESOME! :D

That picture is great Tangles where did you find it?!!! You made my day, thanks for posting that! :D
Di*

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:55 am

sssshhhhhhh........ its one of shultzies.....dont tell him!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Di* » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:59 am

:lol: :lol:
Di*

Postby Sungam » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:00 am

looks like King is flying too, 46 mph :o
Sungam

Postby maxandtuk » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:06 am

definitely gonna use that pic as my computer background lol thanks tangles :)
Livin' faster than my angels can fly
maxandtuk

Postby DirkWigdoubt » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:43 pm

Martin said before the race he didn't like the idea of these GPS units because they would give away his "proprietary" info (rest stops) without paying him for it. Perhaps he gave the unit to a pilot who was going to McGrath in order to demonstrate how the units can be misused in an effort to deceive the competition....I.e. when I first noticed something odd about his unit it was sitting in McGrath with a zero speed indication. It stayed there awhile so I thought he was taking his 24 in Mcgrath. Mushers could also just "accidentally" leave a unit in a checkpoint making it look like they were resting there while they were actually catching up with someone ahead on the trail...

If you think this is unlikely, then consider this.... This morning an NPR reporter in Ruby announced in a live interview that GPS Ion internet info indicated Lance was about to enter Ruby while Jeff was tracked at about 20 miles back down the trail. I think Lance would be interested in that information about Jeff and the info would immediately be available to him just with the usual checkpoint chatter.
DirkWigdoubt

Postby Breeze » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:40 pm

I made my personal opinion about the GPS tracker known at the gitgo, so no one be surprised if I am grinning from ear to ear that Martin sent his unit on its OWN 24. I hope he is still laughing in his dreams!

GOOD ONE MARTIN!!!!!!

Breeze
Breeze

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:03 pm

Martin was, IMO, justified to be concerned about the information the GPS system provides to the competition. I can't say I blame him for even briefly ditching the thing--and in his typical playful style, he turned what could have been a prima-donna-esque act into a major laughfest. Imagine, for example, if the notably grumpy Rick Swenson had decided to shed a transmitter: he might have taken a hammer to it instead of sending it on a thrill ride.

I may be biased, but I know a good prank when I see one. And whether or not he intended to be permanently rid of the tracker, he's certainly rid of it now. Anyone for a rousing chorus of "Born Free"? ;)

(The pic...oh my eyes! :shock: Jon Little was right to call that shirt "loud".)
Holly Golightly

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk