kim withdrawl

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

kim withdrawl

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:30 am

sad news this morning folks...

kim got withdrawn last night by itc under rule 36 that says she was no longer competitive, although the trail was bad, we have the reson now that she was forced to scratch.

i just got his info in..

Rohn, March 6, 2008 – Rookie musher Kim Franklin, from the United Kingdom,
was withdrawn from the 2008 Iditarod earlier today.

Franklin reported that one of her dogs chewed through the
gangline and two dogs left the team during Franklin’s nighttime run from Rainy Pass to Rohn.
She was unable to locate them and went on to Rohn.

Under Iditarod rules, mushers must arrive in a checkpoint
with the same number of dogs that they left the previous
checkpoint with in order to continue in the race.

A withdrawal has the effect of involuntarily eliminating a
musher and team from the race but does not imply any
deliberate misconduct or violation.
The two dogs were located back down the trail in Rainy Pass a
nd were flown to Anchorage and released to their handler.

Eighty-nine mushers and their teams remain on the trail and on the way to Nome.

and an mail from a friend there..

i was sure hoping that Kim was declaring her 24 in Rohn since she was there so long but this morning I knew something was up since she was still there. Turns out, Kim did scratch because of a technicality. Apparently she was was on the Puntilla side of Rainy Pass when she lost her 2 lead dogs. Kim was having some trouble with the sled and while she was trying to remedy that situation, both lead dogs bit through their harnesses and took off. Kim waited for a while to see if they would come back and they never did, so she went on into Rohn, not knowing what else she could do, which of course is where we've seen her on the board.

Meanwhile snowmachiners went out to find the dogs and they couldn't. Turns out, the dogs went back to Rainy Pass.

This is where the story gets better...some volunteers saw these dogs ( don't know why the chips implanted in the dogs didn't key them in) and probably being first time volunteers, bless their hearts, somehow thought the dogs needed to be flown to Anchorage as dropped dogs. So they were put on a plane and they've been sitting here all the time...

Is that a story or what??? I've never heard of such a thing...Anyway, because Kim lost her dogs and can't get them back on the trail, rules state she must scratch. What a bummer. Chuck and Ian did get to see Kim today in Rohn ( finally) and said despite all she is in good shape physically and is in good spirits. Of course now Ian is bummed because he says now she'll want to do this next year again...

Ian is heading back to Anchorage tomorrow and not sure when Kim will get out. I'll let you know.

I'm so bummed for her. She made it through all the really tough parts of the trail...all she had to do was watch the weather from here on out and sit any storms out. I know she would have made it to Nome. Perhaps next year...

were so proud of you kim.. 272 miles on the trail, good times and speed! so Ian next year then?.... and hopefuly we'll be there to watch her!

go kimbo go!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Re: kim withdrawl

Postby aren » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:46 am

Tangles, When you talk to her, please let her know that there were so many people who wanted her to succeed and that we are really sad that she had to scratch. She was doing a great job :D
Hope to see her back on the trail next year :)

aren
aren

BSSD team, you rock !!
aren

Postby tanglefoot » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:13 am

will do thanks aren and wiil pass on everyones best wishes, i dont know if she will be back in time to come to the rac here next weekend or will stay on in AK, im thinking she will stay on and go to the finish at nome maybe, i hope so anyway! even though she was withdrawn/scratched she deserves to be at the finish banquet for getting over the pass and steps and for being part of iditarod 36!
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby Another UK Fan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:32 am

aren wrote:Tangles, When you talk to her, please let her know that there were so many people who wanted her to succeed and that we are really sad that she had to scratch. She was doing a great job :D
Hope to see her back on the trail next year :)

Well said Aren :)

Tangles please do pass on to Kim that we share her disappointment and look forward to her success next time. Sounds like Ian knows she will surely compete again ;) :lol:
Another UK Fan

Postby sc-race-fan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:38 am

Ditto what Aren said. I'm sure a "re-run" is in the plans. Good job Kim..
Proud PaPa of the triplet litter; Aidan (B), Bailey (G), and Cameron (B). Cameron is on top in picture; Bailey, of course, is the bowhead!!
sc-race-fan

Location: formerly Columbia, South Carolina, now residing in Mooresville, North Carolina

Postby Breeze » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:24 pm

Matt,

Just another round of hugs for Kim and her UK family, from me. Now that we know it was a "missing dog" issue, it has nothing to do with Rule 36, she fetched up against some darned bad luck and had no choices to make for herself.

I'm so sorry. She did nothing willfully, it was just not meant to be for her this year. I know you know this goes this way sometimes and I wish Kim all the best!

breeze
Breeze

Postby deafcat » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:36 pm

Well, she got an awful lot further than I ever did in the Iditarod!!!!! Good for her, and thank goodness the dogs had the sense to follow thier own scent back and are safe.
deafcat

Postby luvmy4huskiesn1mal » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:22 pm

Sorry to hear about your UK Kim. Glad she is OK and dogs are fine. I think all of us learn so much from everything we go through...good or bad, finished or withdrawn. She's had a great "first time" and hopefully will get another shot at it. Who know...maybe she will be a great mentor for another wonderful, popular UK musher in the near future.
Tangles????
luvmy4huskiesn1mal

Return to Mushing Talk