2021 Iditarod Race

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: 2021 Iditarod Race

Postby fladogfan » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:16 am

Leaddog wrote:According to ITC officials during a virtual musher meeting back in January, they are well aware of how much "damage" the trail will endure during the first pass and they have promised to deploy trail teams on known problematic sections (like the Gorge) immediately after the last team passes through in order to rebuild the trail in time for the return loop. Guess we will see whether that actually turns out to be reality, but they recognized the potential problem not too long after deciding this was going to be a big loop.

Yes leaddog, thanks for this info. I was wondering how hard it will be going UP the Dazel Gorge. Hope cams are in that area.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:29 am

Thanks, FDF. I'll be there. I signed up for Insider last week without hemming and hawing this year. Trying to recapture my passion for the race.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby fladogfan » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:13 pm

chat is open
and we are watching the people at the start

https://iditarod.com/
fladogfan

Postby Fool » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:04 pm

Every year I put together a series of posts for a group of friends who follow the Iditarod together. I thought the people here might enjoy them as well. Full disclaimer: I am not an expert--just a hardcore armchair musher.

Iditarod Download, Pre-Race:
It’s time for the best part of the year! It’s been an unprecedented year, so it’s fitting that this year’s edition of the Iditarod brings with it many changes from years past. Here’s what you missed, and here’s what you need to know.

1. Dallas Seavey is back!
After a couple of years away from the Iditarod after being falsely accused of illegally drugging his dog team at the conclusion of the 2017 race, Dallas is back -- and that means everyone had better watch out. You can read more about Dallas’s return here: https://www.alaskapublic.org/.../dallas ... eturns.../

2. Mitch Seavey is out!
He’s not retiring, he’s not done for good...he’s just taking a break from the Iditarod this year. (And sharing his best dogs with Dallas, gulp!)

3. Aliy Zirkle is retiring.
Of all the things that happened this year, this was surely the worst. (That may be a slight exaggeration, but not by much.) The long time fan favorite who was always competitive and in many ways embodied the spirit of the Iditarod better than anyone else in the race today has decided to hang up the sled and ride into the sunset. Read Aliy’s parting letter to the state of Alaska here--and then try not to cry: https://www.adn.com/.../aliy-zirkle-im- ... fore-i.../

4. There’s no returning champion.
Marking an exceedingly rare occurrence in the modern rendition of the race, 2020 Iditarod Champion is not returning to defend his title. The Norwegian (who was stranded in Alaska for quite some time after last year’s Iditarod trying to figure out how to return home amidst increasing coronavirus concerns) ultimately was unable to figure out a way to get both himself and his dogs over to Alaska for the race, leaving the field wide open for a new champion this year.

5. There’s a new course.
Amidst COVID-19 concerns, race organizers have pulled out all the stops to make this year’s race happen. In order to bypass the many native communities the race traditionally passes through, particular in the later half of the traditional course, this year’s race will be an out and back to the checkpoint of Iditarod. Ironically, this isn’t too far off from what race founder Joe Redington originally envisioned. The new course will result in a slightly shorter race (860 miles vs the almost 1000 miles of the normal route) and an absence of the perils and random weather of the Alaskan coast. Stay tuned for more write-ups talking about what impact the new course is likely to have on the race.

6. This is a socially distanced Iditarod
First off, applause to the race organizers for all their work in making the Iditarod happen this year. The logistics of the Iditarod in a normal year are not easy, so to successfully set up a completely new iteration of the event deserves praise. Still, this year’s race is going to be different. No ceremonial start. No finish in Nome. No spectators. Multiple rounds of COVID testing for all competitors. And checkpoints that have been largely set up to take place outside of towns and communities. Mushers are going to be kicking it old school this year--instead of being able to go inside community buildings and homes to catch precious warmth and rest (not to mention charging electronics and other logistical details), they’ll be largely camping outside, either utilizing warming tents provided by race officials or (as I suspect many will choose) camping with their team. You can read more about these changes, along with comments from mushers, here: https://www.ktoo.org/.../the-iditarod-s ... ay-and.../

Get pumped! The Iditarod starts today!
Fool

Postby fladogfan » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:12 pm

Welcome fool and thanks for your info. We hope you enjoy our forum and we learn from you as you learn from us.

Be sure to join us in chat chat/ there might even be a few 'buds still in there from the start.
fladogfan

Postby sarsmile » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:36 pm

The letter fool mentioned is great, but I like this interview with Aliy and Allen even better. Answers a bunch of the questions we were all speculating about earlier.

https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/ ... -iditarod/

Best wishes to both of them, whatever they choose to do.
sarsmile

Postby Fool » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:24 pm

fladogfan wrote:Welcome fool and thanks for your info. We hope you enjoy our forum and we learn from you as you learn from us.

Be sure to join us in chat chat/ there might even be a few 'buds still in there from the start.

Thanks fladogfan! I've been a lurker for a number of years now but finally decided to emerge from the shadows. :D
Fool

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:33 am

Fool wrote:
fladogfan wrote:Welcome fool and thanks for your info. We hope you enjoy our forum and we learn from you as you learn from us.

Thanks fladogfan! I've been a lurker for a number of years now but finally decided to emerge from the shadows. :D

Much more fun out in the sunshine ;)
fladogfan

Postby Moose » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:31 am

Good stuff, Fool. Thank you. Having been a lurker myself on the Cabela's forum, I love it when lurkers become members.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby libby the lab » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:41 am

Not sure what thread to put this under, but thought it was an interesting article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/07/us/a ... 022a3d4783
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk