Trail snippets and articles - 2021

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Trail snippets and articles - 2021

Postby libby the lab » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:36 pm

Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby libby the lab » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:04 pm

Just saw a tweet from Iditarod that Gunner shared a tent with 2 other mushers and Iditarod is working to identify them. If they know it was 2 then I bet they know who and trying to figure out what to do???
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:17 pm

libby the lab wrote:Just saw a tweet from Iditarod that Gunner shared a tent with 2 other mushers and Iditarod is working to identify them. If they know it was 2 then I bet they know who and trying to figure out what to do???

Uh-oh.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby Fool » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:50 pm

libby the lab wrote:Just saw a tweet from Iditarod that Gunner shared a tent with 2 other mushers and Iditarod is working to identify them. If they know it was 2 then I bet they know who and trying to figure out what to do???

According to this article, Gunnar wasn't sure who they were: https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/ ... -positive/

Dr. Jodi Guest, who is assisting the Iditarod with their COVID-mitigation plan, is quoted as saying:
“People crawl in and out out during the night, and they’re not having a lot of conversation and they’re also masked,” she said. “He’s just not sure who those two people are.”

Sounds like Gunnar's exposure came from another dog handler he was "quarantining" with prior to the race, and then shared a ride with on Friday.
Fool

Postby fladogfan » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:42 am

libby the lab wrote:https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2021/03/12/boy-saved-by-iditarod-volunteer-wildlife-trooper-in-skwentna/
YIKES!

Lucky little boy, thank God for his rescue. The 10 year old brother needs congratulations also.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:43 am

Dallas talks strategy before the race. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSzLyiohGWA
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby flowerpower » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:55 am

Enjoy browsing Joar's kennel page, with a picture of his wedding last August. https://www.sivoracingkennel.com/
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mira » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:42 am

Might have been mentioned somwhere, did you read the story about the horses in Rainy Pass (at their FB)? I guess many of you have, but just for the fun.. I guess he didn't found it amusing, but I do :)

The lodge at Rainy Pass is home to a herd of semi-wild horses. 8 months of the year they run free, and they help with hunting trips in the fall. Dallas arrived at Rainy Pass at 10pm last night, and after he got his team fed and bedded down, he thought he was going to get some sleep. Instead, he was "stampeded by 18 wild horses," trying to steal the hay out from under his team. Iditarod actually sends hay instead of straw to Rainy so the horses can safely eat it once the teams leave, but evidently they weren't willing to wait.

The checkpoint staff spent hours trying to get the horses away from his team and back on the other side of the broken fence to no avail. They simply didn't have the manpower to hold off and herd 18 hungry horses. Finally, someone just took a bale of straw and bribed them further from Dallas' team, but that didn't last long and they had to go back for more.

In alle these years, I have never heard of the horses before
mira

Postby fladogfan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:11 am

Yes mira, some how I had heard of the horses and that hay is used there so it's safe for them to eat.
I didn't know straw would be bad for horses.
Love the story about s-o-m's problems, bet he was funny to watch. But he would be worried about his team maybe getting stepped on.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Sable

Postby Eggs » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:54 am

If you can't access ADN:

The Iditarod was Sable the sled dog’s 15th thousand-mile race. Now, the couch awaits.
DESHKA LANDING — To prepare Sable the sled dog for long, cold nights on the Iditarod Trail, a vigorous plan was deployed by mushers Paige Drobny and Cody Strathe.

“She slept outside one night,” Strathe said after the 10-year-old female helped pull him to a career-best 20th-place showing Tuesday in the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

Sable loves her people and her special status as a house dog at the couple’s Squid Acres Kennel in Cantwell.

After Drobny and Strathe finished within a couple hours of each other Tuesday morning at Deshka Landing, all of their dogs but Sable were placed inside dog boxes. Sable remained outside, sleeping in the sunshine while off-lead.

Sable 1.JPG

“She’s a little shy dog that basically doesn’t like anyone else except us,” Strathe said. “You look at her and she doesn’t look like a super athlete or anything, but she’s an amazing dog. She basically does it because she loves us. She also lives in the house all winter. She slept outside one night before the Iditarod to get ready. Otherwise she’s a couch dog that also runs 4,000 miles each winter.”

A veteran of multiple Iditarods and Yukon Quests, the 2021 Iditarod was Sable’s fifteenth 1,000-mile race.

“She’s finished all but two and those two we scratched, so she did every mile she could,” Strathe said.

Sable, who often runs in lead, is the perfect dog, Drobny said.

“She’s like my best friend. She follows me around everywhere,” she said. “I always like looking at the dogs like, if they were human, what they would be like, and she would be like the student at the front of the class that was always perfect and always raised their hand and had the right answer and was nice to everybody.

“The only way I can describe her is she’s just perfect.”

Sable is sort of like the weekend warrior who runs a marathon Saturday morning and spends the rest of the week chilling on the couch, and she’s never too far from Drobny or Strathe.

“She lives inside, and if we go outside to do something, she comes out with us. She goes for puppy walks and then she’ll go and run a thousand miles and come back and get back on the couch,” Drobny said. “She’s an incredible athlete at 10 years old, to be able to do that and not have any arthritis or any stiffness. (She’s) never sore, she’s always happy, always ready to go on an adventure.”

“I’m sore,” Strathe said. “She’s not.”

Sable missed last year’s Iditarod because she had to have a tumor removed. Drobny said it was the first time in about eight years that Sable wasn’t on her team, and there was a moment when she thought about bringing the dog along as a passenger.

“I was like, ‘I don’t know if I can do it without Sable,’ " she said. “I wanted to take her and just carry her in the sled and then I could put her in if I needed her — which is so asinine, right? It doesn’t make any sense. She’s like my little safety blanket or something.”

This year, Sable ran on Strathe’s team, and it was likely her final 1,000-mile run, Strathe said.

Sable 3.JPG

https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/ ... waits/#958
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eggs

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk