Stop press Aliy injured

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Stop press Aliy injured

Postby flowerpower » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:32 pm

OK, maybe it was just for medical assistance, but why were the State Troopers notified? Hopefully it was just an unfortunate accident. Just strikes me as a pretty terse statement from the kennel. :? OK, I did see I glimpse on ADN that she was injured in a fall. Guess I need to be less suspicious and more patient. ;) :lol: :lol:
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mira » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:52 pm

I guess it was for getting the helicopter? chop-chop
mira

Postby libby the lab » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:35 pm

I am streaming Insider to my TV. If I turn volume all the way up I can hear the Insider guys etc. I heard the KTUU reporter say Aliy hit glare ice and injured her shoulder
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby libby the lab » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:43 pm

Just watched The Insider video of her in Rohn. She was very dazed :(
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby SuldalsXpressen » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:10 pm

libby the lab wrote:Just watched The Insider video of her in Rohn. She was very dazed :(

Can't find that video.... What is the name.
Mmmmmm...... Unalakleet... DO'H!!!
SuldalsXpressen

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:22 pm

libby the lab wrote:Just watched The Insider video of her in Rohn. She was very dazed :(

I'm wondering if she was drugged up to the gills on pain killers?
She did not look comfortable, that's for sure.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:22 pm

Cant find the video of her in tohn either, was it on insider?
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby elsietee » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:23 pm

SuldalsXpressen wrote:

Can't find that video.... What is the name.

Ah, I think they took it down again.

Fair enough - I did wonder.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby tanglefoot » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:30 pm

Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:21 am

Here is news from Yahoo.com, not much we didn't already know.

Yereth Rosen
Tue, March 9, 2021, 3:23 PM

By Yereth Rosen

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) - The top woman competing in Alaska's Iditarod sled dog race, Aliy Zirkle, has been forced out of the contest after suffering a concussion and other injuries on the trail two days into the event, organizers said on Tuesday.

No details of the mishap were immediately available. But Zirkle, a fan favorite, was evacuated from the trail at Rohn, a checkpoint 183 miles into the race, and sent to an Anchorage hospital for medical treatment, organizers said.

She arrived at Rohn Monday night "after sustaining a significant impact that resulted in a concussion and orthopedic injuries to her upper torso," the Iditarod said in a statement.

Rohn is the first checkpoint for mushers after crossing the mountainous Alaska Range. The trail leading into Rohn contains steep drops and narrow twists, making it one of the most challenging stretches of the race.

Zirkle was later released from the hospital and was resting in Anchorage with family members, according to the statement.

Zirkle’s 14 dogs were unhurt and were being cared for at the Rohn checkpoint on Tuesday, the statement said. They will be flown to Anchorage and then driven back to Zirkle’s Fairbanks-area home, the organizers said.

Zirkle, 50, was considered the leading female contender in this year's 49th annual Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race and one of the top contestants overall. She finished as runner-up three years in a row - in 2012, 2013 and 2014 - and has been a frequent top-five finisher.

In 2000, she became the first woman to win another major sled-dog marathon, the 1,000-mile (1,610-km) Yukon Quest from Fairbanks to Whitehorse in Canada's Yukon Territory. In February she announced she would retire after this year's Iditarod.

A New Hampshire native, Zirkle began mushing after moving to Alaska at 20. Her husband, Allen Moore, is a three-time Yukon Quest champion.

This year's Iditarod got under way on Sunday with 46 mushers and their teams of huskies dashing off into the Alaska wilderness on a course drastically rerouted, and shortened, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Rather than the usual racing route from Anchorage to Nome, the gold-rush town on the Bering Sea coast, the 860-mile (1,380 km) race is being run to and from a remote spot along the Deshka River in Willow, about 75 miles (120 km) north of Anchorage.

The total distance is roughly 100 miles (160 km) shorter than the traditional route to Nome.

(Reporting by Yereth Rosen in Anchorage; Editing by Steve Gorman, Jonathan Oatis and Dan Grebler)
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk