Iditarod > Ophir > McGrath Headed Home...

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Iditarod > Ophir > McGrath Headed Home...

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:25 pm

Dallas is back on the trail headed towards Ophir as of 3 pm, after a 3h 45 min rest. Expect him to run to the cabin about 50 miles up the trail before resting again. It's going to be really fun trying to figure out who's coming and who's going from here on out and I can only imagine the gymnastics the tracker programmers had to go through to get the mileage to behave on the way home.

Brent can leave ID after the end of his 24 + differential (54 mins) at 7:12 pm (I think... my maths isn't great).

Mille will have to add an extra 40 min onto her departure time (so 20 past midnight), while Aaron P has to add 1h 32m (can leave at 44 mins past midnight).

And I just realised Travis Beals is right up there - arriving just 4 mins behind Dallas in "real time" (they've both taken their 24s) - although he may rest longer than Dallas because he came straight from Ophir, rather than resting along the trail the way Dallas did.

Wade also arrived within 3 hours of Dallas/Travis in "real time".
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Re: Iditarod > Ophir > McGrath Headed Home...

Postby libby the lab » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:20 pm

Damn tracker is not programed for the return??? Really? They didn't program that in? GRRR. This
will make me think waaaaayyyy to hard!
Cindy, Anna Banana and Link-de
RIP Libby and Hank

http://www.dockdogs.com
http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
libby the lab

Postby Moose » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:27 pm

Ugh. That will be a mess until they're all headed in the same direction again.
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:57 pm

Interestingly, when Dallas first set out, it didn't look like it was going to show the "true" mileage, but after a few hours, I checked again, and now it is showing "return" mileage, which helps.

What doesn't help is Ryan, Richie, Pete, and Joar spending 7 minutes in ID - and turning around and leaving again straight away. I guess that's just how you break up the miles, but it gives me a headache trying to figure it out. Of those four, Ryan has already taken his 8 (and Mille, back in ID, has also taken her 8. .

Travis is still there, so I assume he pushed there in one run and is now taking his 8 hours there.
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:42 pm

Even better - now they've changed the colour of the mushers headed home, so it makes it much easier to figure out who's doing what:

(dark blue for returning "running" mushers, light orange for returning "resting" mushers, green for outbound active mushers, darker orange for outbound resting mushers).

It would appear that Richie, Pete and Joar are joined at the hip - waiting for one of those teams to break from the others.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee

Postby COHusky » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:59 pm

Thanks so much for posting these updates Elsietee
I am very interested in Ryan Redington and his position thus far in the race. He has completed both his 8hr and 24hr rests.
Do you know if he cut rest early on to get in this position?
COHusky

Postby mira » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:15 am

It's great working on the GPS with the colour differences.. although it's quite hard to get an overview because all the dots are at the same place :)

Regarding Ryan, I think some of the dfference comes from a very fast start..
mira

Postby Another UK Fan » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:42 am

Paige Drobny at mile 451, Michelle Philips at 448, Jessie Royer at 438. All done 24 and 8.

Nick Petit at 438. Just ahead now of Jessie. Done his 24. Not the 8.
Another UK Fan

Postby mira » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:17 am

I started to type down the most interesting numbers, but I am too lazy. You can also choose to see run time, but average speed is the same and is kind of easier to compare. I haven't rewinded the tracking, just looking at rest/run time from cp to cp.

Ryan didn't really rest in cp before his 8 hour in Nikolai. He stayed for 37 minutes in Rohn. If you look at his run times, he was very fast to Skwentna (average speed 11pmh), but clearly rested on trail on the way to Finger Lake (3 hours based on run time). To Rainy Pass he used 20-30 minutes more than the fastest team. But to Rohn he must have rested for 3-4 hours on trail again. To Nikolai he rested 3.5 hours on trail, and 3-3.5 hours over to Iditarod. So, if we add all this, Ryan has rested 10-11 hours on trail, with cp rest.. total of 1 day, 22-23 hours.

If we compare with for instance Dallas, Dallas rested 3 hours on trail to Nikolai and 2.5 hours to Rohn. Otherwise he has mostly rested in checkpoints. Dallas average speed to Iditarod indicates that he rested, but I am not sure about that (edited, Danny says he rested 4 hours). Dallas has at least rested for 1 day and 17-18 hours, perhaps a bit more (edited.. 22 hours). Dallas has a very consistent speed around 8mph.

average_speed.png

rest_time.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mira

Postby Another UK Fan » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:51 am

Everyone - except Hal Hanson - who is resting in Ophir is now on the trail Ophir to Iditarod or Iditarod to Ophir. After Ophir the trail will be one way again. Right now, however, there's two way traffic out there.
Another UK Fan

Next

Return to Mushing Talk