McGrath S - N - Rohn - RP - FL - Skwentna

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: McGrath S - N - Rohn - RP - FL - Skwentna

Postby Moose » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:58 am

Happy2BeHere wrote:(I keep looking for a "thank you" button to click on these posts!)

THANK YOU! terrific info and analysis

I do as well! Or a thumbs up or other emoji to let folks know I'm reading and appreciating the work they're putting into "my" enjoyment of the race. <3 (That's a grateful heart.)
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby elsietee » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:34 am

Of the front runner teams, Travis' give me the most concern. He reported back between ID and Ophir that they were reluctant to get going, and they seemed that way again last night in McGrath as he was getting ready to go - he kept lining out his lead dogs, and they kept sitting down in the straw again. I think that's reflected in his longer run time to Nik. I think I see him in Nik on the live cam and his dogs are still tucked up, sleeping, while he looks to be starting his prep to leave (another half hour or so, he'll have been there 4 hours).

Brent did a MAMMOTH run going into his 8 at McG - I can't tell if he rested on the trail or not - his tracker was glitching like mad - but I hope so (although his dogs still look great for it).

Dallas seemed to be resting a bunch on the run over to Nik - every time I looked at his tracker, it was doing odd things (could be misfiring tracker, though).

Ryan reported feeling nervous back in McG - saying it depended on if his team continued to do well - perhaps he was seeing some cracks?

Both Aaron and Brent rested 4 hours on the trail outside Nik and are moving again. Brent is just ahead of Ryan, with Aaron 5 miles ahead of them, and Joar 2 miles behind. Joar's dogs must have bounced back from their bug because suddenly he's popped into the picture after lagging for a while.

Dallas is currently taking a break at mile 641 after being on the trail 40 miles - snack break? longer break? When he stopped, Aaron was 18 miles behind.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:41 am

Joar ran straight through Nik, so is 65 miles into his current run - expect him to stop and rest for 4 hours some time soon.

Wade rested 4 hours in Nik (standings not updated yet) and is 8 miles behind Joar.

(Dallas is moving again - must have been a snack break)
elsietee

Postby mira » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:40 pm

I think Dallas GPS has been glitchy all the time, I was trying to figure out how much he rested on trail to Iditarod, but it was bumping here and there. Another Seavey posted it was four hours :)

I think Dallas, Aaron and Brent is looking good. Although I think it's hard to read Brent's schedules. Dallas is easier. Joar is also looking steady.

Ryan is down to 9 dogs, which means less chores and less foods to haul. But I think he was down to nine a bit early.
mira

Postby Gatekeeper » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:46 pm

mira wrote:I think Dallas GPS has been glitchy all the time, I was trying to figure out how much he rested on trail to Iditarod, but it was bumping here and there. Another Seavey posted it was four hours :)

I think Dallas, Aaron and Brent is looking good. Although I think it's hard to read Brent's schedules. Dallas is easier. Joar is also looking steady.

Ryan is down to 9 dogs, which means less chores and less foods to haul. But I think he was down to nine a bit early.

Yes, I think Dalzell will be tough for Ryan's team.
Gatekeeper

Postby elsietee » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:57 pm

Dallas is snacking on the trail again at 655, after going 15 miles since his last snack. It looks like he's taking good care of his dogs because he knows he has the luxury to do so.

Joar is also still going - he's now 80 miles/11.5 hours into this run! (with only a 15 min break in Nik to pic up supplies). His current mph are down, but he's also on that Burn section(I think?), so it could just be a snapshot (or he deliberately went through there with tired dogs - lots of mushers reported being concerned about going downhill on the icy stretches of that run). I wonder if he's aiming for that shelter cabin a half mile or so east of the trail about half way?

Glad to see that Travis stayed in Nik to rest his dogs longer.

Update to what the standings are showing - Wade is definitely out of Nik ahead of Richie.

Mille took a nice 5.5 hour break in Nik, while Michelle took 4 hours and popped out just ahead of her.

Brent and Ryan are running so close together that the tracker is showing "Sass gton".

(Paige just showed up at Nik - dogs look good, all still standing, snacking, tails waving. Not sure if she's staying or going through. There's a bit of arm waving going on. She's not settling them, but she's not grabbing stuff from her drop bags either.)
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:11 pm

Joar finally stopped (as expected, at the Bear Creek Safety cabin) after 81 miles of trail.

Joar-BearCreekCabin.JPG

Ryan and Brent both just stopped to snack their dogs.

Dallas is still resting, and Aaron is within 5 miles - I bet Dallas is carefully considering how long Aaron will have rested on the trail - and he's stopped on a rise that might give him a view back down the trail so he can spot when Aaron's coming (and possibly hiding in the trees, where Aaron can't see him, so he can get going again as soon as it's time? :) ))

Nik-Rohn-03-13-21.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elsietee

Postby mira » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:13 pm

A little game of hide and seek :)
mira

Postby klmobile » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:20 pm

Dallas hasn't had an update on his gps in over 2 hours... Arron`s says his updated 3 minute ago, I think Dallas is moving
Don't Buy Cheap work Boots!!
klmobile

Postby mira » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:25 pm

The GPS are updating while in move, so when it it long time it updated it usually means that the musher is resting.

Dallas GPS has been glitchy, showing too much movement, so I guess he is resting and I will guess he has started to get the team up so Aaron won't pass..
mira

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk