McGrath S - N - Rohn - RP - FL - Skwentna

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: McGrath S - N - Rohn - RP - FL - Skwentna

Postby elsietee » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:33 pm

Richie just passed Michelle (resting at the foot of the Happy Steps) and is climbing the Steps. I think Michelle has rested nearly four hours, so might give chase soon.

I think Richie can make the next 70 miles in one swoop, so unless Michelle has a faster team (possible), he should stay ahead of her.
elsietee AT ponyhill DOT org
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
elsietee

Postby Alphashe » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:00 pm

flowerpower wrote:Mille is one of the top ten picks I have right!!! :lol: :lol:

Congrats! This lady is super power. What she can do to make the dawgs from 6 different kennels work as a team - as a competetive unit - is beyond words.
Alphashe

Postby Moose » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:01 pm

I hope some videos come out of the burn, the steps, and the gorge.

BTW, I love DST. Tonight is the first night for dinner in daylight! Whoop, whoop! Spring is coming!
Wag more, bark less.
Moose

Postby elsietee » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:24 pm

Aaron is an hour and one minute behind - came into SKW with a dog in the bag.

Dallas in Skwentna:
I'm smiling... it hurts because my lips are all cracked, but I'm smiling.

This whole race has seemed kind of surreal - I don't know why, don't know if it's the different trail or that we haven't really been seeing other mushers. We kind of got out in front right off the bat and it hasn't really felt like a race - I haven't been ducking and weaving with other mushers - it's been more like a big training run, where we're out there doing our thing. I keep thinking 'it's too easy, something's going to go wrong'. I've dropped three dogs now out of total precaution/ Their ability to help the team is limited, while their ability to harm the team could be a game changer. I dropped two in Finger Lake - they were perfect, but if somebody was going to have an issue, it would be one of those two. And if I'd had to carry one of those over here, that's the one thing that could hurt me at this point. Same thing with Frisbee out in Iditarod - in a different year I would have just kept running him. He had a very minor tight quad that I was managing just fine, but this year, if I'd had to carry him all the way back to Ophir, that could do a lot of damage. So I've just in really cautious... and part of it is, you know how many mushers have made it to four wins and have never gotten that fifth? <laughs> The damn thing seems cursed. <laughs> So I'm going to make damn sure Murphy's Law has no opportunity with us... I cannot screw this up... Now watch, I'm going to fall asleep or something and go down the wrong river on the home stretch <laughs>. But nobody can say I didn't try to be safe <laughs>.

I just want this thing to be over at this point and have it in the books <rubs his eyes> [he looks really tired]. But I am enjoying it, as much as you can...
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:25 pm

(By the way, Travis Beals is out of Nik again and appears to be making good speed (9 mph) going down the trail behind Martin).
elsietee

Postby elsietee » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:09 pm

Brent's team look good coming into SKW - two dogs in the middle of the team still with energy to play with each other - tails gently waving.

Behind Brent, 20 miles back, we have Mille, Wade, Ryan, and Nic, all within five miles of each other.
Then 13 miles behind them is the trio of Joar, Richie, and Michelle, all within three miles of each other.

So quite the race.

Just watched the vets take two more dogs out of Aaron's team - one of them very stiff in the hind end - in addition to the one he had in the bag when he arrived, so he'll be leaving with ten dogs.
elsietee

Postby Fool » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:19 pm

as.PNG

Wade is catching up to Mille Porsild! Same thing with Nic Petit and Ryan Redington!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fool

Postby fladogfan » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:14 pm

Moose wrote:I hope some videos come out of the burn, the steps, and the gorge.

BTW, I love DST. Tonight is the first night for dinner in daylight! Whoop, whoop! Spring is coming!

Well glad someone likes DST. :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol: 8-) :lol: :lol:
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby elsietee » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:41 pm

Two passes - looks like Wade just nipped past Mille (with 1 mile to go), and Nic pipped Ryan with three miles to go (to Skwentna).
elsietee

Postby Fool » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:23 pm

And the top six are into Skwentna! Really interested to see how it plays out between Wade, Mille, Nic and Ryan.

Coming into the checkpoint, Nic's dogs looked by far the best! In fact, Nic probably looked the most tired out of all of them - ha. But his dogs looked like they were ready to keep on going. The other teams in that foursome looked tired in comparison, especially Wade's and Ryan's.

It's been snowing in Skwentna for a while - it'll be interesting to see what the trail is like heading back to Deshka Landing. Aaron might benefit a little if Dallas has to break trail?
Fool

PreviousNext

Return to Mushing Talk