Skwentna to Deshka AKA The End

This is a forum for general discussion of dogsled racing, with a special focus on Alaska, and is open to all. It is expected that this area will see the most activity during the months leading up to, and during the annual Iditarod sled dog race. Pictures from races can be posted here. Hosting is provided by the Bering Strait School District (BSSD), and the area is open all year. Care to be one of our volunteer moderators? Contact us!

Moderators: fladogfan, libby the lab, mira, mamamia, sc-race-fan

Re: Skwentna to Deshka AKA The End

Postby flowerpower » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:31 am

Thanks Fool! Mystery solved. I found this nugget this morning from Seaveys page:
In my best Susan Boyle voice "Wild Horses...Keep Eating Our Hay!"
Evidently the Rainy Pass checkpoint is now closed due to the overly friendly semi-wild horses eating the bedding while the sled dogs tried to sleep! Hal Hanson, Larry Daugherty and Will Troshynski all went through a camped just a couple miles past the lodge.
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby mira » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:44 pm

So... The mushers went north and the horses started to eat the hay left behind. So when the mushers returned and lay down even more hay the horses started to think "yai, even more food". Or something like that?

It would explain why this hasn't been such a big issue earlier
mira

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:15 pm

mira wrote:So... The mushers went north and the horses started to eat the hay left behind. So when the mushers returned and lay down even more hay the horses started to think "yai, even more food". Or something like that?

It would explain why this hasn't been such a big issue earlier

LOL bet you are right. Leave it to you to think about this.
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby flowerpower » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:11 pm

Well, the last 2 mushers have pulled hook in Skwentna. Dakota and Victoria have been running together for awhile. :D
"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
flowerpower

Postby fladogfan » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:21 pm

I think it would be neat if they come in side by side. Two red lanterns!
All my children have four feet and fur.
fladogfan

Postby mira » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:54 am

There can only be one :D But they did try, and there were several photos taking of both mushers holding the lantern together.

It looks like it might be a turn just before the last chute.. everyone wondered what happened, because we saw the lights on sign/fence, but it was very slow. And they came.. almost like a tangle, the lead dogs to Dakota kept turning around, and it took a while before i understood that both team were in the turn at the same time. But Victoria were last, two seconds behind :D

last.png

I looked at Dakotas sled, it seems to be a bit shorter than many others?

sleds.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mira

Postby tanglefoot » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:23 am

The last two are in, red lantern blown out and the trail sleeps for another year.
Believe in your dog team and your dog team will believe in you. – Frank Turner
TANGLEFOOT SLED DOG RACING TEAM
tanglefoot

Previous

Return to Mushing Talk